PDA

View Full Version : Drop rates on Quillmane

zanderklocke
02-04-2013, 07:11 AM
I probably spawn and kill Quillmane more than any person on this server, but I do not know the drop rate percentages that are coded into Quillmane. I just recently finished killing Quillmane 14 times in a row to only receive leggings, yet other times I've received a Pegasus Feather Cloak on my first spawn of her.

Does anyone have source code of what the drop rates are for her?

gotrocks
02-04-2013, 07:22 AM
its probably pretty low. most rare drops are 5% or <

obviously im just speculating.

with a 5% drop rate its entirely possible to get super lucky and get one first try, or super unlucky and not get one for 20 kills or more.

all about the roll of the dice

Tecmos Deception
02-04-2013, 07:22 AM
If you've killed him so many times, then you should be able to deduce an estimate for his drop rates.

I seriously doubt many "rare" items (like fbss vs. moonstone ring) are a 5% drop rate, let alone lower than that. The fact that you think not getting a 5% drop in 20 kills is "super unlucky" just makes me think you don't know how numbers teh work. In fact, you actually would end up going 20 kills without seeing a 5% rare about 1/3 of the time.

My guess is a typical common vs. rare drop on the server is something like 70-80% common and 20-30% rare. The fact that named mobs often are the rare version of whatever pops at a given point in the first place + the way numbers work just end up making the average Joe who gets a little unlucky farming something think that stuff is a lot more rare than it really is.

maverixdamighty
02-04-2013, 07:39 AM
if you are doing it solo i doubt you spawn her more than anyone lol. 3 ppl is best way to do that camp.

A1551
02-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Zanderr assuming your EQ log file is on you may have the answer to this sitting on your hard drive!

zanderklocke
02-04-2013, 12:59 PM
if you are doing it solo i doubt you spawn her more than anyone lol. 3 ppl is best way to do that camp.

Ha, I sell cloaks to people, so I've killed Quillmane probably over 200 times. I think I've sold 40+ cloaks now.

Tecmos Deception
02-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Ha, I sell cloaks to people, so I've killed Quillmane probably over 200 times. I think I've sold 40+ cloaks now.

There you go, then. 1 in 5, ish.

maverixdamighty
02-04-2013, 01:07 PM

k confirmed others have killed it more then. If you are curious to the drop rate should start keeping a log of how many times you kill and how many you get. Pretty easy to do for someone killing quill so often...

probably have gotten about 15-20 chars cloaks, but we always do it in 3's so if it pops somoene is right on the spawn point. Guess being a bard makes getting around somewhat more bearable.

zanderklocke
02-04-2013, 01:18 PM
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21138

Here is information I have found in the past related to spawning Quillmane, but I've never found actual information regarded to drop rates. I'm not sure that our server uses this code either, though finding it on the EQEmu page doesn't hurt the case. Furthermore, I've always wondered how people label drop percentage rates on the wiki for any mob?

From my anecdotal experience, it seems like the lioness tends to pop Quillmane more often; if I have someone kill elephant calfs while I kill lionesses, she usually tends to pop after I've killed 8 lionesses while calfs have been constantly killed. Furthermore, the median number of Quillmanes just to get a cloak from my personal memory is 5 to 6. From my personal experience, killing Quillmane 10 or more times to get a cloak appears to be an outlier.

Obviously, everything depends on random number generators, but I was wondering if anyone had ever seen the source code (similar to the link I posted). I could try to run some data analysis, but my last statistics course was a few years ago heh.

maverixdamighty
02-04-2013, 01:27 PM
i'd agree with 5-6 tends to be the average amount to get one. i can remember one stretch where we had like 15 without it but it's all the law of averages. fwiw always just done the elephant calf ourselves.

zanderklocke
02-04-2013, 01:29 PM
I would say the average is around 1 cloak per 7 QM kills, but anything can happen. I've seen QM drop the cloak 3 spawns in a row, and I've seen her have leggings for 16 times in a row. You either got unlucky, or someone was ganking your QM spawns from underneath you.

Heh I was doing this late at night to avoid other people killing the pulls. It was from about 11 PM to 5 AM. Regardless of how many people might have sniped Quillmane, each situation was independent, so I figured by 14 personal kills, luck would have played into my favor.

Briscoe
02-04-2013, 01:36 PM
If you've killed him so many times, then you should be able to deduce an estimate for his drop rates.

I seriously doubt many "rare" items (like fbss vs. moonstone ring) are a 5% drop rate, let alone lower than that. The fact that you think not getting a 5% drop in 20 kills is "super unlucky" just makes me think you don't know how numbers teh work. In fact, you actually would end up going 20 kills without seeing a 5% rare about 1/3 of the time.

My guess is a typical common vs. rare drop on the server is something like 70-80% common and 20-30% rare. The fact that named mobs often are the rare version of whatever pops at a given point in the first place + the way numbers work just end up making the average Joe who gets a little unlucky farming something think that stuff is a lot more rare than it really is.

Agreed. I think the majority of typical "rare" drops off of named mobs are probably 1/4 or so, with the actual spawn rate of said named probably in the same 1/4 ballpark.

zanderklocke
02-04-2013, 01:36 PM
fwiw always just done the elephant calf ourselves.

Yeah, the person I am getting a cloak for will kill the elephant calf while I go kill a bunch of lionesses before tracking, so basically both placeholders are being covered. However, always more calfs are going to be killed because they are easier to find due to the exact same repop location. Lionesses seem to spawn everywhere from south of aviak village to just southeast of split paw. They always seem to wander west and north toward paw after pathing through aviak village.

I feel like I've really gotten the spawning part of Quillmane down to a science, as I never usually have to track the zone in a loop more than twice to find her after killing placeholders, but I wish I knew the "actual" drop rate percentages aside from anecdotal evidence.

webrunner5
02-04-2013, 03:13 PM
12 to 13 kills is not uncommon to get it.