PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or do dual yaks suck?

Arclyte
02-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Sitting at 111 dex unbuffed, dual yaks seem kind of shitty. I only just hit lvl 37 though.

using yak scimitar / ssoy

Darkpretzel
02-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I'm starting to hate my yaks (2 acid etched war swords), I always end up busting out the Staff of Battle when things get nasty, 38 warrior here.

Tecmos Deception
02-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Well 100 dex is only 1ppm for mainhand and .5ppm for offhand, I think? So yeah, that's not gonna be too impressive.

Splorf22
02-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Roughly 2/3 of your aggro is from dps, the other 1/3 is from procs. Get 46 and buy a Sarnak Warhammer.

edit: just noticed you have 100 dex. You're getting like 1 proc a minute total; you'll probably have more consistent hate (and way, way more dps) from Lamentation/Fist of Zek.

RahlaeRuffian
02-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I hate Yaks. I still use my Staff of Battle situationally at 55. I use Sarnak Warhammer and Silken Whip of Ensnaring for agro though. Until then your best bet is having someone root and getting your agro from proximity.

SamwiseRed
02-04-2013, 11:32 PM
just be glad you aint using 2 combine longswords.

Smedy
02-05-2013, 04:08 AM
can someone confirm that dex is actually directly related to the proc rate?

it feels shaky, i really don't notice any difference when i go from 100 to 200 dex, yet on live i remember a huge difference when procing primal avatar with the sleepers weapons.

unclassic as fuck, brad mquaid would be mad and sad

SamwiseRed
02-05-2013, 10:33 AM
pretty sure AGI is fucked up here too. notice no diff from increased AGI. back in the day monks were stacking that shit and soloing like a boss.

Vayder
02-05-2013, 12:04 PM
notice no diff from increased AGI. back in the day monks were stacking that shit and soloing like a boss.

Now this is classic! Classic myths still promulgated 15 years later.

AGI has little to do with mitigation unless you are under 75 and receive an AC penalty. It has always been that way. However on this server, as well as it was on live, monks solo really well because their mitigation is better than that of any other class including plate tanks. This has everything to do with the way block is coded to be vastly superior to things like parry.

As a result, monks have better avoidance than any other class and so take less damage than any other class outside of defensive discs. My guess, and this is conjecture, is that people believed that monk avoidance was due to agility and the game description seemed to confirm this when in reality it is all connected to block.

In regards to the Dexterity comments the code has been openly posted on the forums:

"Since our dex cap is 255, main hand proc rate scales from 0.5PPM @ 0 DEX -> 2.0PPM @ 255 DEX. The stock emu code that we were previously using would only increase the proc rate 0.5PPM across the 0->255 DEX range. It also was attempting to proc once per attack for the offhand, which was weird. Basically, make friends with a shaman."

SamwiseRed
02-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Agi doesn't help dodge ect? Lol

Arclyte
02-05-2013, 12:42 PM
agility is definitely supposed to improve the chance of passing the dodge check

Danth
02-05-2013, 01:12 PM
I believe that the effectiveness dodge, parry, and riposte is based solely on the player's skill level in those abilities. My understanding of agility is that it marginally adds to your avoidance AC (much as your defense skill does) which increases the chance for an attacker to MISS you.

Proc-based weapons are always unreliable, particularly given the P1999 randomizer's propensity for streaky behavior. At mid levels and low to moderate dexterity you're probably better off simply maximizing your damage output. Life can be hard as a Warrior.

Danth

Nirgon
02-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Dual wielding yaks on a warrior is one of the most immersive things you can do on here.

Watch it mister.

Vayder
02-05-2013, 02:32 PM
The only extensive parsing I can remember happening with agility (I'd love to see more if someone has it) was from Coprolith and he reported that for every 100 agility you add before you get to 200 (i.e. 80agi to 180agi) you would see your avoidance increase to result in taking ~3% less damage.

So getting an agility buff is wise if you're not at the maximum number of buffs but gearing for agility is a pretty bad idea.

SamwiseRed
02-05-2013, 03:36 PM
The only extensive parsing I can remember happening with agility (I'd love to see more if someone has it) was from Coprolith and he reported that for every 100 agility you add before you get to 200 (i.e. 80agi to 180agi) you would see your avoidance increase to result in taking ~3% less damage.

So getting an agility buff is wise if you're not at the maximum number of buffs but gearing for agility is a pretty bad idea.

thats some shitty returns. i had no idea monks stacking AGI were doing so because of a myth i mean, it would make sense for a stat to help. i have no proof so i guess myth busted, sad that there is no point of agi past 75 then.

Vayder
02-05-2013, 03:53 PM
It's actually really good news for monks. They get to stack AC and block is ridiculous.

SamwiseRed
02-05-2013, 07:55 PM
still in shock about the AGI thing. i dont wanna believe it was useless all those years. I DONT BELIEVE IT

Snagglepuss
02-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Are you telling me Feet like Cat doesn't do shit! That's like the coolest ranger buff!

Smedy
02-06-2013, 04:33 AM
Obviously agi did something on live, maybe just not on emu, how about dex, is there any tests on how linked it is to proc ratio? I heard something about code on emu is different and procs are based per minute or some stupid shit like that, does dex have a role in that number?

Nirgon
02-06-2013, 12:36 PM
You are going to hafta do the mad research der Smedy.

Right now, and this could just be because they're quarreling with the other blues, but the guys who went to EQ Mac told me with their hand on the Holy Bible that it is harder to hit mobs and for max damage as often on that server. Further, mobs punish the shit outta players damage-wise there.

It doesn't feel too far off here, which is the most I think we can hope for until everything is done content wise. Then... it can be time to really go through hit/ac/miss/resist systems with a fine tooth comb.