PDA

View Full Version : Mage 4 focus items

drivett
02-08-2013, 12:55 PM
I'm starting a Mage and wondering if someone could give me the exact name of each of the focus items and what pet they cover. I found a couple going through wiki but figured this would be the faster way.

Also I was just wondering how they worked. Do I just have to have them equipped for them to work or do I have to click them or just have them in my inventory.

drivett
02-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Plus what level does the focus item take effect?

Is there a place I can go to read more about what these items do?

aaeldiil
02-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Wind - http://wiki.project1999.org/Broom_of_Trilon
Earth - http://wiki.project1999.org/Shovel_of_Ponz
Fire - http://wiki.project1999.org/Torch_of_Alna
Water - http://wiki.project1999.org/Stein_of_Ulissa

The last two dont show a focus effect on them in the wiki, they should though. Not sure if that is a "classic" thing or what.

They work just by wearing them while casting your pet. As for level, iirc the above are for level 4 through 49 pets but again Im not sure what, if anything, this server being classic does to that information.

Snagglepuss
02-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Torch of Alna is for Fire Pet

Broom of Trilon is for Air Pet

Stein of Ulissa is for Water Pet

Shovel of Ponz is for Earth Pet

The focus effects start to work on your pet as early as level 4. You have to have the proper focus item equipped when summoning each corresponding pet. For example, for the fire pet, you would need to have the Torch of Alna equipped when you click to start the spell casting. You can unequipp the Torch after you have summoned your pet and the effects will still remain.

The focus effects increase the visual size of the pet as well as HP and attack.

I believe it goes something like this:

Focused fire has the same hp as unfocused air, focused air has as same hp as unfocused water, and focused water has same hp as focused earth, and focused earth has the most hp.

The aforementioned focuses will work on your pets level 4 through 49. Starting at 51, you will need to acquire the various Staff(s) of Elemental Mastery: Fire, Air, Water, Earth. These will do the same as the previous focus items except for 51+ pets.

These are dropped by a Reverent, Plane of Sky Quest, Phinegal Autotrops, and Innoruk respectively.

Many Mages keep the focus item equipped or in an open inventory slot because you can reclaim your pet easily.

ko37qtl
02-08-2013, 05:33 PM
I've been working in earnest collecting these recently and the drops have been as much a challenge on my patience as they were on Live, so I wish you luck.

Snagglepuss
02-08-2013, 06:06 PM
The drop rates can be pretty brutal from time to time. But, eventually you'll get them all. I had better luck in Najena than in CT, but I've heard differently from others.

A hint for collecting the toes: go to Ocean of Tears and hang out by the seafury cyclops island and ask a nice player to kill Gornit. He drops all the different toes. Probably the easiest way to grab those. You'll also have to kill an alluring siren as well as get a gargoyle eye so it makes sense to take care of that then too.

ko37qtl
02-08-2013, 06:17 PM
The drop rates can be pretty brutal from time to time. But, eventually you'll get them all. I had better luck in Najena than in CT, but I've heard differently from others.

A hint for collecting the toes: go to Ocean of Tears and hang out by the seafury cyclops island and ask a nice player to kill Gornit. He drops all the different toes. Probably the easiest way to grab those. You'll also have to kill an alluring siren as well as get a gargoyle eye so it makes sense to take care of that then too.

It definitely varies. I had really good luck early on with mages in Najena and then it went into a horrible dry spell. I've been on my druid working CT as that's both good xp and a chance for a drop and they've been more generous. I just need a torch now.

SamwiseRed
02-08-2013, 06:44 PM
I did all my focus items at 40. found the toes and such on vendors, farmed all the main pieces in najena solo

SamwiseRed
02-08-2013, 07:07 PM
i found a classic eq table that shows the focus dont do anything to the 1-30 pets. i forget when but sometime by the 40s the focus items give your pets more HPs and such but not until then. all it does at low levels is make your pet bigger.

ko37qtl
02-08-2013, 08:25 PM
If anyone has a torch they don't need, I'd be happy to trade a stein or shovel.