PDA

View Full Version : Ranger tips

Kendir
02-11-2013, 01:24 PM
So i've read alot of the posts that say rangers suck and whatnot, but since starting my ranger ive fallen in love with the class. And I noticed that alot of people say that a good player can make a good ranger and was wondering if I can get a few tips and tricks because all i have done is tank in crushbone so far. Level 12 atm.

Malone88
02-12-2013, 04:37 PM
1) Get a full set of Banded Armor ASAP (Typically costs 1PP per AC)
2) Get a good weapon ASAP (like Sword of Skyfire, Green Jade Broadsword,
Sarnak Skullsplitter, to name a few that are somewhat affordable)
3) If tanking, Snare/Flame Lick are major taunts. Either can be used
to pull a mob off a caster instantly.
4) Snare everything. If not tanking, wait until mob is half dead, then snare
to keep mob off you. Groups in dungeons will want you in group as a snarer.
5) Fletch to make your own bows and arrows. Archery adds a nice little
dot for soloing. Though archery isn't that useful in a group until AAs
come out...which ain't happening soon.
6) If no chanter/bard in group, you can "ghetto" mez by snaring a mob
to have it come to you, then park it with Root (which you get at level 15).
7) Heal yourself between fights.
8) Partner with Enchanter/Bard/Necro for fear-kiting XP outdoors. You snare/melee,
they fear.

All I got for now,

Selenia (Enchanter)
Taimah (Ranger)

Danth
02-12-2013, 04:46 PM
So i've read alot of the posts that say rangers suck and whatnot...

You have to factor in the relative power curve of the various classes in Everquest, as well as their function in the different aspects of gameplay--solo, small group, full group, and raids. As a general rule of thumb, the hybrid classes do very well at low and mid levels. They particularly shine in less-than-full groups where their hybrid nature can become a real asset. Hybrids tend to scale somewhat badly with levels (all of them drop off at 55+) and often fare poorly in large-scale raids where their hybrid nature is of little to no value.

Mechanically I consider a Ranger one of the most fun classes in Everquest, and it's a fine choice if you aren't really worried about being an optimal character for an end-game raiding guild.

As a tip, a spell you get at level 22 called Harmony is unresistable (some folks don't know this). It makes you a fantastic puller in any outdoor zone, including outdoor dungeons such as Unrest, Mistmoore, City of Mist, or Karnor's Castle.

Danth

Kendir
02-12-2013, 06:54 PM
1) Get a full set of Banded Armor ASAP (Typically costs 1PP per AC)
2) Get a good weapon ASAP (like Sword of Skyfire, Green Jade Broadsword,
Sarnak Skullsplitter, to name a few that are somewhat affordable)
3) If tanking, Snare/Flame Lick are major taunts. Either can be used
to pull a mob off a caster instantly.
4) Snare everything. If not tanking, wait until mob is half dead, then snare
to keep mob off you. Groups in dungeons will want you in group as a snarer.
5) Fletch to make your own bows and arrows. Archery adds a nice little
dot for soloing. Though archery isn't that useful in a group until AAs
come out...which ain't happening soon.
6) If no chanter/bard in group, you can "ghetto" mez by snaring a mob
to have it come to you, then park it with Root (which you get at level 15).
7) Heal yourself between fights.
8) Partner with Enchanter/Bard/Necro for fear-kiting XP outdoors. You snare/melee,
they fear.

All I got for now,

Selenia (Enchanter)
Taimah (Ranger)

1. Done.
2. Silver Swiftblade atm
3. Didn't realize Flame Lick was boss like that, thanks.
4. Done.
5. Done. Even made a few bows for other noobs, so if you are a noob and need a bow /tell Hoton
6. Root is coming up soon so I'll remember this one.
7. Done, unless I had to spam heal someone else because Heals went oom.
8. Will do, thanks.

Kendir
02-12-2013, 06:57 PM
You have to factor in the relative power curve of the various classes in Everquest, as well as their function in the different aspects of gameplay--solo, small group, full group, and raids. As a general rule of thumb, the hybrid classes do very well at low and mid levels. They particularly shine in less-than-full groups where their hybrid nature can become a real asset. Hybrids tend to scale somewhat badly with levels (all of them drop off at 55+) and often fare poorly in large-scale raids where their hybrid nature is of little to no value.

Mechanically I consider a Ranger one of the most fun classes in Everquest, and it's a fine choice if you aren't really worried about being an optimal character for an end-game raiding guild.

As a tip, a spell you get at level 22 called Harmony is unresistable (some folks don't know this). It makes you a fantastic puller in any outdoor zone, including outdoor dungeons such as Unrest, Mistmoore, City of Mist, or Karnor's Castle.

Danth

Ya, no interest in a high end raiding guild, just the trip to 60 and reroll to do it again. And I was one of the people who didn't know Harmony was unresistable, and thanks for the list of zones I can be a master puller.

Shizzam
02-13-2013, 03:59 AM
Rangers are great at all levels dont let numbnuts say we drop off late game because thats when we excel.

Quiksilver
02-13-2013, 07:03 PM
Remember when making bows/arrows that range is the key, not damage.

Malone88
02-14-2013, 03:47 PM
A couple other things on my ranger's TODO list:

1) Fletch a Trueshot Bow (i'm already farming the servos from
the rogue clockworks in Steamfont)
2) Kill the Ghoul Messenger to get Short Sword of Morin (though
other weapons are better).
3) When I hit 30's, bring a backpack of arrows to Steamfont and
kill the son-of-a-beach Mino Hero for the Hero Bracer ;)
4) Get a Tolan's Bracer to Summon Arrows
5) Do the Call of Flames quest. Nice, fast-casting nuke.

Snare is BOSS for a ranger. Saves you life soloing. One of the
most useful spells in the game, IMO. Can do so many creative
things with it...

Selenia (Enchanter)
Taimah (Ranger)

Vayder
02-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Pretty sure it is resistable but it will never critical resist AKA pull aggro on failure.

It cannot be resisted but only reduces mobs aggro range so if they are stacked too close they will still aggro.

Kendir
02-15-2013, 09:17 AM
A couple other things on my ranger's TODO list:

1) Fletch a Trueshot Bow (i'm already farming the servos from
the rogue clockworks in Steamfont)
2) Kill the Ghoul Messenger to get Short Sword of Morin (though
other weapons are better).
3) When I hit 30's, bring a backpack of arrows to Steamfont and
kill the son-of-a-beach Mino Hero for the Hero Bracer ;)
4) Get a Tolan's Bracer to Summon Arrows
5) Do the Call of Flames quest. Nice, fast-casting nuke.

Snare is BOSS for a ranger. Saves you life soloing. One of the
most useful spells in the game, IMO. Can do so many creative
things with it...

Selenia (Enchanter)
Taimah (Ranger)

Yeah I also want to make a Trueshot and eventually Raincaller. And the Short Swod of Morin and Orc Impaler quests. Are the summoned arrows from the bracer better than fletched arrows?
Also wanna do Ivy Etched quests

Elmarnieh
02-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Before you get harmony you can reduce pulling aggro radius with sneak. (also useful in indoor zones where you cannot harmony). Sneaking will reduce the assist and aggro radius of all mobs not facing you. You can pull from some groups without aggroing others with this tactic.

Also for a caster who gets a ton of aggro you can control aggro with root. Rooted mobs will attack the closest person who is on their aggro list. Just let the group know you are doing it (or let the tank know if there is a caster who can't control aggro and you don't want to embarrass them).

If you plan on soloing or being as multi-role as you can in order to get groups remember AC is King if you want to tank. AC HP should be your targets with str secondary. Or have two sets of gear to switch out into a pure dps mode with high strength if you know you won't be tanking. For starting I suggest jagged bands and then 6 ac 65 hp rings later or sooner if you have the money.

Good luck.

Malone88
02-19-2013, 04:15 PM
Summoned arrows are lower range and damage typically than fletched arrows, but it's nice to have a source of arrows in case you run out and can't fletch any. If and when AAs come out, then you can get Endless Quiver AA which means you just need one arrow that gets used infinitely, but that won't happen anytime soon on this server it seems. Thats why the Tolan's bracer is useful and the Tolan's Gauntlet is useful also for manaless snare.

Agree with previous poster that AC and HP are king. Get some 5 AC, +55 HP rings as soon as you can (good for any class actually). Also, a good haste item like FBSS
will help a lot until you can get Swiftwind (Ranger Epic).

Selenia (Enchanter)
Taimah (Ranger)

bukinashi
02-19-2013, 04:15 PM
Are the summoned arrows from the bracer better than fletched arrows?

Very late reply :)

Not really:
http://wiki.project1999.org/Summoned:_Arrow

50 range is garbage when you can fletch 125 range arrows for cheap.
But it's not a bad backup when you're way out in the wilds and will be away from fletching materials for a while.