PDA

View Full Version : Enchanter low level soloing

superpov
02-13-2013, 02:24 PM
I decided on making a enchanter. What should a low level enc be doing to solo? read about the 50% pet damage experience penalty and was wondering what to do until I get my first charm at level 12.

Thank you!

Lambparade
02-13-2013, 02:28 PM
I would try finding small low levels groups in gfaydark or kill kobolds in steamfont. Level 12 will take a little time to get to... so i would look into grouping.

I have alot of extra robes on my main if youre interested send me a tell in game

Lambpar (cleric)

I know its hard to get gear at low levels so I'll hook you up :)

Bill Tetley
02-13-2013, 02:54 PM
that's why you kill your pet first...

Swish
02-13-2013, 07:27 PM
If you don't want to kill your pet, make sure you out-dps it. Keep the dot nuke on it (suffocating sphere? that line of nukes) and some chaotic feedbacks and you'll be fine, but you'll be medding a fair amount :p

For charm at level 12, do what you can to get as much charisma gear as possible, a lot of it is quite cheap if you know a JC - aim for 200! :)

Vladesch
02-14-2013, 06:36 AM
Forget charm soloing at low level. You'll make faster xp just beating things up with your animation. And probably die a whole lot less.

BurnMage
02-14-2013, 01:47 PM
tl;dr what Vladesch said.

IMO, From playing an enc both on live and up to 29 so far here, is that three key factors are CHA, level difference and target mob in charm. Assuming you have 'good' cha, I found at early levels the level difference issue caused problems. Somewhere else on the forums I saw someone doing a (probably pretty informal) test suggesting that a charm pet %80 of your level or lower was optimal to avoid breaks (assuming CHA is good!). When you're low level your level spread is much smaller for effective charm targets and xp targets making it hard to find that sweet spot. If you're level 12 trying this out then you probably want to find level 8 mobs, and possibly 1 level higher you get too many breaks and 1 level lower and your pet isn't particularly effective or good xp. At 29, toying around in sola, charming a level 23/24 was still very effective and the much lower level mobs were easier to deal with.

Lastly, your target mobs are very important. Some mobs just have higher MR, or some feature that makes them less desirable to charm. The classic example is gnomes, at least on live they were supposed to have high natural MR, I assume the same here. In sola I've enjoyed charming casters since on charm break they nicely stand there casting a nuke that never lands on me because I get a quick stun/mez off on them.

In other notes I found at the lower levels, say less than 22, I just didn't have the mana pool to consistently keep a charm pet, and without room to maneuver I found myself easily getting beat down with not enough hps to charm safely. I think it's because I'm not twinked out and don't have the gearflation that live had, and though my cha is workable my int and hps are quite low. I do recall at some times having enough HP on live and room to move around to just stay at 50%hp permenantly and bind wound up after breaks with hasted pets like it was no big deal and never having a death.

Up until I could effectively charm my friend Osagarn in HHK at 24/25 it seemed like if I just kept quickness on the melees and breeze on the casters that's all people really wanted from me anyway.

Malone88
02-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Don't give up on Charm Soloing at low levels.

Some camps are perfect for it.

Levels 12-13: Mino Camp in Steamfont
Levels 14-18: Sister Camp in Lesser Fay (if you can get it)

In each case here, there are four mobs and it's trivial to
pull no more than two at a time (most are single pulls). My charms rarely
resist or break during a single fight and I'm lazy and don't tash
the mob ahead of time. ;) Pull two at a time, keep the target mob rooted
at all times, and try to kill your pet first. I break charm using Taper
Enchantment which is a whooping 5 mana. Not sure this would work if
I tashed pet first. Once you get 16 and Breeze, you'll
have mana to burn...

My CHA is around 150 (not that great). I got Crude Stein and 2 Opalline
Earrings pretty cheaply...Thats all you need for low levels, IMO.

I also use my illusion pet in some situations also, like in places like
Unrest and Crushbone, because I like the safety of having a pet with
me at all times.

Just my $0.02.

Selenia (Enchanter)
Taimah (Ranger)

Brimacombe
02-14-2013, 10:13 PM
I have found that even with a high CHA, you are going to have a plenty of downtime charm soloing, which implies and necessitates re-charming. You could consider reverse charming, where you invis after the fight and kill your pet, which is more efficient and lets you med in peace, but in all honesty: I prefer to be in groups. If you are looking to level fast, roll a bard. You can shoehorn a chanter into a solo character, but it is like using two sticks to start a fire when you could just use a Zippo to prove... whatever. If you just need a high level chanter for your raid guild, they should be expected to help, or the guild is just a bargain of mutual use.

In short, just get a group, they are faster and more fun. Chanters shine as the support class they were designed to be.

-Brimacombe