PDA

View Full Version : What was your favorite in-game music and why?

scecie
06-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Grazuls' thread here: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8893 inspired me to make this thread. I know this is a complete geek out, but we can all be honest here, right?

My favorite music is played one spot in the entire game. It is by the Inn outside of Freeport in the grassy area of the North Ro zone. I used to plop down by the Inn and med/heal for what felt like hours on end while leveling up my lowbies; listening to the sound of footsteps as guards patrolled the area and the occasional shattering of bones as they destroyed the poor skellies dumb enough to spawn near by. I must have done this for 3 or 4 seperate characters back in the day.

:o *MAGIC* :o

Landis
06-16-2010, 12:59 PM
kelethin, i've never witnessed anything that gives me the feeling of nostalgia like that music. it's almost creepy.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=atHxsHPt7Fc

KeoRS
06-16-2010, 01:00 PM
scecie;

My favorite tune is that exact same one. I learned it on the guitar after a while. I also loved the GFay track.

I contacted Jay Barbeau too just to let him know that his music rocks. I read your other post in the thread about the original EQ music and I too have listened to the tracks outside of the game... even while working!

Good memories.
See you in the game!
P99 powah!

Qaedain
06-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Kelethin.

The day I stumbled across that magical city in the trees, entirely by accident I might add, will never leave my memory. I was also a young player, which made everything a seem a little more magical and a lot more impressive.

That was 1999/2000, and the reason why I'm here today.

Oogmog
06-16-2010, 01:06 PM
I found it really funny the paint company Valspar ripped off Kelethins music for one of their commercials... I heard this and it's actually what got me looking into EQ again a while back.

Here is the vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpZuKVdrQL8

twincannon
06-16-2010, 01:55 PM
It's so hard to choose, but I would have to say the North Karana bridge music. I'm not sure that that was the original intention for the music - it might have been for Dagnor's Cauldron or some such.

In any case, I was on my first character, a barbarian who spent most of his time in Blackburrow and never ventured much past Qeynos. My friend had just gotten the game and rolled a wood elf. I stocked up and planned to make the trip from Halas all the way to the other side of the world. I was going through the karanas and had gotten lost - all I had to go on was maps printed out from eqatlas. Having already had the horror of falling down the trap door in Blackburrow, I couldn't imagine dying way out in the Karanas. It was raining so I couldn't see much at all due to the fog so I was just trying to follow the road. After a while, the rain clears up, that ominous music starts playing and I see this giant epic wooden bridge leading me on to where I was headed, both the sight and the music seemingly warning me of the dangerous journey that I had barely even started as I approached what I only knew from a map as Highpass. Easily one of the top moments in my gaming history.

Also, that cottage music in North Ro is definitely an awesome and memorable song. My friend and I were doing a trip from Kelethin to Oasis as we had gotten too high for Crushbone (this is on P99, like, 2 days ago lol). He's got me on follow as we're going thru North Ro and I just stop and I'm like... man, I have to just listen to this music for a minute, wow. So good.

astarothel
06-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Loading music and theme. It was always so epic.

Lill-Leif
06-16-2010, 02:05 PM
Plane of time!

nalkin
06-16-2010, 02:16 PM
bard's guild in queynos or freeport

Droop
06-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Boat theme for me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSNXH5nBRU0

Kind of a quiet video, but it's my fave!

Striiker
06-16-2010, 03:32 PM
I have two that are at the top of my list..

The music at the North Qeynos gates. I have played this often while at work. I guess because it was the very first zone which I played in back in 99 when EQ first launched. It was a magical experience to say the least.

The other song is the boat travel music. It's very relaxing. I'd sit on the boat fishing and watching the scenery. I am thrilled that the boats are back as this was one major reason why I loved them so much.

Brut
06-16-2010, 04:10 PM
The desert music, played in Nro almost everywhere, always heard it when coming out of Oasis. Good feel to it, reminds me alot of some massive mystery and the fabled Rahotep (who I never saw on live but heard many tales of!).

scecie
06-16-2010, 04:24 PM
After a while, the rain clears up, that ominous music starts playing and I see this giant epic wooden bridge leading me on to where I was headed, both the sight and the music seemingly warning me of the dangerous journey that I had barely even started as I approached what I only knew from a map as Highpass. Easily one of the top moments in my gaming history.

Oh man, I remember the first time I heard that and saw the bridge running my Shaman down from Halas, so epic. I mean, compared graphically to the 3D shooters of the day, I'd never seen something that big in a game before. It also helped back then that the clipping plane was dialed waaaay down and all of a sudden, this huge structure was on top of you.

That reminds me of the first time I dared to walk from Freeport into East Commons. I remember the trees opened up and seemed to stretch out forever!

utenan
06-16-2010, 04:36 PM
I have to do top 5 for this, there are just too many
1. The login music, and the char select screen music
2. The west freeport gate music
3. The kerra isle music
4. Qeynos gate music
5. Nro music / Nro inn music

They are all awesome and epic in their owns ways, its way to hard to pick a favorite
If for some reason you havnt heard them then you should immediatly

Alifeyl
06-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Kelethin for me, too. :)

Dac321
06-16-2010, 06:58 PM
http://www.amazon.com/The-Original-Opus-I/dp/B002OVTO9G/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1260610280&sr=301-1

Not sure if you guys have seen this, but this is some of the classic EQ music done by a live orchestra.

Omnimorph
06-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Plane of time!

^ This. Plane of time a music was epic.

Qaedain
06-16-2010, 09:06 PM
I must also say that I really enjoy the music from Gates of Discord's Natimbi zone. It's so soothing. It's one of the few songs I kept on my PC even after uninstalling EQ in 2004.

Feather
06-16-2010, 10:08 PM
The boat music. I used to ride the boats just so I could hear it.

Qaedain
06-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Does anyone happen to know the name of the MIDI used for the NRo inn everyone is talking about? I haven't visited that inn in 10 years.

Christ. Ten years.

Phallax
06-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Loading music and theme. It was always so epic.

This.

Also, if its not just EQ music. UOs login music with the opening chest will always hold a special place.

scecie
06-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Does anyone happen to know the name of the MIDI used for the NRo inn everyone is talking about? I haven't visited that inn in 10 years.

The MP3 I have of it is called "Shop1" lol. I doubt that's very helpful :confused:

Doril
06-17-2010, 03:32 AM
alot of very good music even though it was midi sound in original EQ ( that sounded quite crappy on an AWE 32 i had at the time)

Special mention for Rivervale city music: so funny and sounds so hobbitlike

cerasa
06-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Rivervale!

xorbier
06-17-2010, 06:17 PM
I wish the music worked here. It really added to the game. :(

utenan
06-17-2010, 06:22 PM
It... does....?

Elissa
06-17-2010, 08:38 PM