PDA

View Full Version : End the madness!

ooantipostoo
06-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Give the people what they want simulated patch day respawns.!

Give it a chance Dev's you never know. If it fails just pull the plug on it.

twincannon
06-17-2010, 01:44 PM
because we really needed another thread

ooantipostoo
06-17-2010, 01:48 PM
We do, Just keep it simple.... FFA first in zone with 15 gets it.

Kinamur1999
06-17-2010, 01:57 PM
first in zone with 15 gets it.

Isn't that how it is now, which led to the camp war?

guineapig
06-17-2010, 02:01 PM
What he's talking about is all bosses popping at once to simulate a server restart (as happened once or twice a week on live all the way back since 1999).

It's not the same thing because these pops of all the boss mobs could not be planned for, they wouldn't follow a set timer.

Therefor, each guild would have choose either their top priority mob to run to.
Another strategy would be to try for one that east least likely to have competition that day.
A third strategy would be to split your guild in two different directions in hopes of getting at least one if not both mobs.
Also this could happen at any time so a European guild for example could clean house one day where as on another day it would happen during peak times where North American guilds are all in full force.

Possibilities are endless but you can't camp the zone for it because it could be a week before it happens for all you know and during that time the regular random spawn timers for all the raid content would be in effect.

In other words... no camp wars.

(Possible additional effect: The mass boss repops could also reset all the regular timers for added awesomeness and increased classic feel.)

ooantipostoo
06-17-2010, 02:04 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/Nokari/Amen-Brother.jpg

Cyrano
06-17-2010, 02:07 PM
I think it's a cool idea and wish we had it, the haters will throw the big "mudflation" word out there but there really wasn't terrible mudflation in EQ until SoL and The Bazaar.

The other problem is, due to the close relationship that players have with devs/gms on P99, that someone will always cry foul and GM favoritism if one guild blows the others out of the water.

In my opinion, if you're going to do this why not make it true FFA? More spawns + more competition = EQ Classic. If you keep the 15 to claim rule in tact, guilds can lock down multiple zones while moving their actual raid force around to kill stuff. Instead make it first to attack gets first shot and if they fail the next guild in waiting jumps right in.

Trimm
06-17-2010, 02:14 PM
I fully endorse anything ooantipostoo has to say, as he has impeccable taste.

ooantipostoo
06-17-2010, 02:17 PM
In my opinion, if you're going to do this why not make it true FFA? More spawns + more competition = EQ Classic. If you keep the 15 to claim rule in tact, guilds can lock down multiple zones while moving their actual raid force around to kill stuff. Instead make it first to attack gets first shot and if they fail the next guild in waiting jumps right in.

True, Id be up for true FFA!

Skope
06-17-2010, 02:42 PM
I think as long as there's certain obvious guidelines (no training, no stealing of mobs already aggroed and first to engage gets a shot without interference), a patch day full respawn would be quite nice, actually. It would certainly spice things up a bit and definitely more exciting than it is now, but you'd have to wonder if it would spice things up a bit too much. An FFA -- even with some small rules -- would still invite controversy and force and require GM intervention with a whole lot of fraps. At least the current first 15 rule avoids that in some ways, but certainly not in others (example: you have 14 and I have a screenshot).

Allowing a patch day respawn and maintaining that first to 15 in zone rule doesn't negate the current camping situation, it only avoids it on patch days. I do think that some sort of rotation, even if it be minor (like a rotation on patch days for spawns) would alleviate some troubles and tension, but it'd have to be coupled with a major overhaul that completely eliminates the first to 15 in zone.

Adso
06-17-2010, 02:51 PM
because we really needed another thread

+1

At least 6 of these on the front page now.

Molitoth
06-17-2010, 02:54 PM
First guild to attack the raid target should own the target imo. Those were classic Live rules.

Aeolwind
06-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Only going to add one thing to this: It's never going to happen Antipost. Quit asking. You are wasting both your time and mine.

guineapig
06-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Only going to add one thing to this: It's never going to happen Antipost. Quit asking. You are wasting both your time and mine.

Is this referring to the simulated server resest of raid booses (the original topic)
or the FFA that they were talking about later?

pickled_heretic
06-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Patch day respawns were very much a part of the live experience, but I've seen several developers claim firsthand that it's never going to happen.

guineapig
06-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Patch day respawns were very much a part of the live experience, but I've seen several developers claim firsthand that it's never going to happen.

I must have missed these posts. I've yet to see an official response on the subject. That's not to say there isn't one in the forums somewhere... but I missed it.

ooantipostoo
06-17-2010, 03:25 PM

You will not EVADE me Sony!

astarothel
06-17-2010, 03:25 PM
I must have missed these posts. I've yet to see an official response on the subject. That's not to say there isn't one in the forums somewhere... but I missed it.

look up 6 posts or so

guineapig
06-17-2010, 03:37 PM
look up 6 posts or so

I'm not sure what he's referring to, it's not clear.

Is this referring to the simulated server reset of raid boses (the original topic)
or the FFA that they were talking about later?

Aeolwind
06-17-2010, 04:36 PM
No comment on FFA.

This isn't something that can be scripted guys. I've stated again and again that crashing a zone on an emulator is about as difficult as falling off a log. We can't tie ourselves into manually repopping mobs on server up either. We literally have too much stuff to do and we have to pick and choose what is doable and what isn't.

JaVeDK
06-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Can we please get a raid sub-forum to clear server chat of all this raid nonsense please? :p

ooantipostoo
06-17-2010, 04:53 PM
No comment on FFA.

This isn't something that can be scripted guys. I've stated again and again that crashing a zone on an emulator is about as difficult as falling off a log. We can't tie ourselves into manually repopping mobs on server up either. We literally have too much stuff to do and we have to pick and choose what is doable and what isn't.

Why wouldn't people be crashing zones now then to boot the campers out of the zone so they can get first shot?

Whats the difference?

Aeolwind
06-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Why wouldn't people be crashing zones now then to boot the campers out of the zone so they can get first shot?

Whats the difference?

We'll get reports that way. We WON'T the other way.

Not
Going
To
Happen

ooantipostoo
06-17-2010, 05:02 PM
I don't get it, but oh well I tried : /.

P.S thanks again Dev's I know you bust your ass for us : )

Kainzo
06-17-2010, 05:03 PM

Whats the difference?

Not everyone knows how to crash zones.. the problem is this, there is not enough content for the many guilds sporting this server. The content is stale (INNY/CT - have been done a million times on live before and after updates)

So everyone knows the strats, it comes down to two things, Playtime and Numbers. So just mass recruit high play timers and have them camp mobs to stake claims. This scenario is wrong. When pops repopped on server up, it definitely aided some form of challenge assembling everyone, but it still had issues too.

the resolution will be to add more content, be it Sky/Hole/Kunark to get people spread out and away from places, maybe even stagger spawns by number of days etc.

ooantipostoo
06-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Not everyone knows how to crash zones.. the problem is this, there is not enough content for the many guilds sporting this server. The content is stale (I hate to say it but INNY/CT - has been done a million time on live before and after updates)

So everyone knows the strats, it comes down to two things, Playtime and Numbers. So just mass recruit high play timers and have them camp mobs to stake claims. This scenario is wrong. When pops repopped on server up, it definitely aided some form of challenge assembling everyone, but it still had issues too.

the resolution will be to add more content, be it Sky/Hole/Kunark to get people spread out and away from places, maybe even stagger spawns by number of days etc.

It's super easy to crash a zone. If you dont know how a simple google search will tell you.

stagger spawns by number of days (there is already variable respawn timers)

I do agree more content would spread people out. But that can't be corrected at anytime we are following the classic timeline.

Kainzo
06-17-2010, 05:12 PM
It's super easy to crash a zone. If you dont know how a simple google search will tell you.

stagger spawns by number of days (there is already variable respawn timers)

I do agree more content would spread people out. But that can't be corrected at anytime we are following the classic timeline.

Crashing a zone on purpose is also a bannable offense. At least it was on live if you got caught.

ooantipostoo
06-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Crashing a zone on purpose is also a bannable offense. At least it was on live if you got caught.

obviously

guineapig
06-18-2010, 01:16 PM

I was thinking of a simple script like this:

You have 6 mobs on a random spawn currently.
(Inny, CT, Vox, Naggy, Dracho, Maestro)

1.) When either of those boss mobs repop the script checks to see if any other bosses are up.

2.) If no other boss mobs are up then the script does a random roll
(maybe a 1 in 6 to a 1 in 10 chance) to see if the other 5 bosses will pop as well.

3.) Once the script is triggered there is a 3-5 day cooldown before the script can be triggered again.

/end script

And now you have 6 raid bosses spawning at once instead of just one!!! :)

There would be no need to manually do anything. You would just be adding the same script to the six mobs that are already scripted to pop at random times.

Anyway, it was just an idea. I'm not trying to cause trouble