PDA

View Full Version : Hide/Sneak

Harmonium
02-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Has anyone else had a problem with hide randomly breaking when sneaking around? I have noticed it happening to my rogue over the past month or so, inevitably leading to a death and not fun CR

Thulack
02-24-2013, 08:18 PM
post about it in bug section i think.

Rhambuk
02-24-2013, 08:19 PM
does it give you the success message but your still visible or does the hide button randomly depop and you come into vision?

Harmonium
02-24-2013, 08:25 PM
does it give you the success message but your still visible or does the hide button randomly depop and you come into vision?

I'll be successfully hide/sneaking around a dungeon, when I will get a message saying I have moved and are no longer hidden and get aggro. This just happened in HS, I had conned the mobs I was walking past when it happened and both were indifferent.

Peekae
02-25-2013, 08:15 AM
I had this happen on my rogue several times in the past however i think it was due to a mouse issue.

I usually turn with rightclick / mouselook and in doing so if there is a corpse anywhere nearby at all it would tend to break hide via me right clicking some random fatties corpse that has been sitting in a dungeon for weeks.

Not sure if this is the issue or not as I no longer play a rogue and they just did some changes to see invis however it might be worth a shot to try just keyboard turning at least while sneaking

Rhambuk
02-25-2013, 09:03 AM
I had this happen on my rogue several times in the past however i think it was due to a mouse issue.

I usually turn with rightclick / mouselook and in doing so if there is a corpse anywhere nearby at all it would tend to break hide via me right clicking some random fatties corpse that has been sitting in a dungeon for weeks.

This sounds familiar, I remember having the same problem leveling my rogue but i cant remember what the fix or the root problem was. sorry i couldnt be of more help shes since retired

Sycho
02-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Aren't hide and sneak 2 separate skills? My understanding was that hide is for when you are standing still, but breaks when you move. Sneak is for moving around slowly while staying invis. However, since both are skills and can be trained, both can be broken randomly.

Farkle
02-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Aren't hide and sneak 2 separate skills? My understanding was that hide is for when you are standing still, but breaks when you move. Sneak is for moving around slowly while staying invis. However, since both are skills and can be trained, both can be broken randomly.

edit: sorry i misread, they are skills, but one you get a success message, they dont or shouldnt break (or at least they hadnt broken on me in 34 levels).

I noticed this happen a couple of times two nights ago in unrest. Random unhide after successful hide/sneak. appears to be happening to sneak, i.e. sneak breaks and subsequently so does hide because you are moving.

Sycho
02-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Here is a useful write-up on the skill. http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/skills.html?skill=31

Cecily
02-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Practically never happens to me. Sneak first, hide second. Make sure you have both confirmations. AEs break it, trading breaks it, right clicking on corpses breaks it, Xygoz trained on you breaks it, looting breaks it, pickpocketing breaks H/S. Sneak can rarely fail too.

Pretty much if your invis breaks, it usually means you screwed up. I'm not saying it's bug free, but if you're careful.. it's bug free.

melkezidek
02-25-2013, 11:48 AM

Rogues use Sneak and Hide at the same time and Hide does not break. This is only true for rogues.

Cecily
02-25-2013, 11:58 AM
They don't randomly break. That's the perk of being a rogue, perma IVU + Invis.

Rhambuk
02-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Practically never happens to me. Sneak first, hide second. Make sure you have both confirmations. AEs break it, trading breaks it, right clicking on corpses breaks it, Xygoz trained on you breaks it, looting breaks it, pickpocketing breaks H/S. Sneak can rarely fail too.

You can trade and maybe pickpocket with sneak on and not break it though if you sneaking/hiding it breaks both.

general turn in comes to mind

Nirgon
02-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Yeah, well, racial hide for non-rogues is giving invis to undead which is hella wrong.

Droog007
02-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Is it possible that you were getting indifferent cons because of sneak and NOT hide? Then moving into the frontal 90 deg. put you at KOS? Just a thought.

Rhambuk
02-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Yeah, well, racial hide for non-rogues is giving invis to undead which is hella wrong.

ooh that is very wrong...

Hugmukk
02-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Sneak and hide will never depop themselves, you can try it by finding a safe spot and going afk for as long as you deem necessary.

One of the common mistakes I'm hearing about lately is accidentally right clicking a corpse while moving around. One solution is to /hidecorpse all before adventuring around. The other is just to be more careful and aware of the surroundings.

Personally when I play my rogue and I'm around mobs who really don't care for me, I'll use the toggle between NPC button and then use the C key if I'm unsure about aggro. And try to keep my finger off of the righ mouse button.

Nirgon
02-25-2013, 01:26 PM
ooh that is very wrong...

Yeah good luck linking evidence though :P. Hopefully this is one where Nilbog remembers it from classic and swings his mighty axe.

Using this like a baws to avoid undead right now, shit's classic ain't even mad.

Cecily
02-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Is it possible that you were getting indifferent cons because of sneak and NOT hide? Then moving into the frontal 90 deg. put you at KOS? Just a thought.

First thing I thought of.

Chloroform
02-25-2013, 02:29 PM

Pretty much if your invis breaks, it usually means you screwed up. I'm not saying it's bug free, but if you're careful.. it's bug free.

<3

Grahm
02-25-2013, 06:26 PM
read title as hide/seek

thought u were gonna hide somewhere and give plats to who found you

Rhambuk
02-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Skeeter valentine? whats with all the doug avatars lately someone had a ned last week