Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Rants and Flames (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Enchanters didn't charm until PoP dire charm AA (/forums/showthread.php?t=384371)

RecondoJoe 05-12-2021 04:24 PM

I always lol when people act like players didn’t know to max charisma for enchanters and this is some kind of revelation that happened recently

Most of the people I grouped with has significantly better gear than players on P99

I recently inspected a rogue on P99 blue and gasped at his armor. People who main rogues there are rare, and seeing one with good gear is rare... and the I realized that even though his gear was dreamy by p99 standards that it was absolutely Garbo compared to my rogues gear 20 years ago.

starkind 05-12-2021 04:32 PM

I feel like p99 is contractually obligated to implement as much charm nerf code as possible and that they can invent to retain permissions to be a classic server.

Vivitron 05-12-2021 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimjam (Post 3304767)
What do you think the current iteration of charm on p1999 is built from?

Torven posted in one of the bug threads that his logs from charming with his druid on Al'Kabor (the Mac server that was essentially Nov 2002 mechanics, about a year out of era for us) showed ~55 tick average duration on easy charms, and that he confirmed roughly the same on a later era live server. I parsed a couple of my xp sessions on p99 green at closer to ~65 ticks, although I'm not sure if my sample was really large enough to say our charms stick better than Torven's logs.

So my serious answer to your question is that whatever the current iteration of charm was built from was fairly close to (live, not TAKP) Al'Kabor which matched later era live.

Gustoo 05-12-2021 05:20 PM

That's pretty robust (like most P99 details)

There maybe some random break murder your-ass component that is missing from our charm that is resulting in the 65 tick average and general user friendliness of charms here.

loramin 05-12-2021 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonewallx39 (Post 3304776)
Most people were likely:
Not maxing charisma (OP said they were but he wasn’t an enchanter)
Charming too high of levels mobs
Were not focusing or -mr spells and gear

We have 10+ pages of people saying "it's the -MR and Cha gear" ... and yet when it comes to Druids it's crickets.

beargryllz 05-12-2021 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 3304519)
Well, in the early days snared/DoTed mobs didn't lose 33.3% of their DoT's damage, so snaring + DoTing was the best way to level as a Druid ... because the rules worked differently.

But that stopped in '99 https://wiki.project1999.com/Patch_N...ber_13.2C_1999 (and, seeing as how it was in the patch notes, pretty much every Druid knew about the change instantly). From that point on root/rot became the de facto Druid soloing technique, with quadding and charming being risky but potentially more lucrative approaches.

But again ... if it was as easy to charm on live as it was here, basic logic dictates a hell of a lot more Druids would have charmed ... instead of it what everyone remembers it being on live: a relatively niche, high risk technique.

High risk in 1999 meant "oh god if I go any deeper and attempt to break this room, I might *never* get this corpse back. I certainly don't know any clerics that can rez me even if I could find it..."

There is no high risk now. Pull the entire bar in Unrest and if we die, there are 18 clerics camped out on backup accounts ready to log in and fix us up. Free buffs too

starkind 05-12-2021 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beargryllz (Post 3304892)
High risk in 1999 meant "oh god if I go any deeper and attempt to break this room, I might *never* get this corpse back. I certainly don't know any clerics that can rez me even if I could find it..."

There is no high risk now. Pull the entire bar in Unrest and if we die, there are 18 clerics camped out on backup accounts ready to log in and fix us up. Free buffs too

Ugh.

Face palm tears uncontrollable sobbing . Jpg

Old_PVP 05-12-2021 05:57 PM

I remember when chanters could cast illusions on group members. Anyone else remember those glory days? When was that removed?

Jibartik 05-12-2021 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 3304891)
We have 10+ pages of people saying "it's the -MR and Cha gear" ... and yet when it comes to Druids it's crickets.

it takes playrs here 10+ years to learn how to charm half as effiicenty as tecmos

puh-lease

nobody knew how to do it in 99 if they did they didnt teach anyone.

RecondoJoe 05-12-2021 09:10 PM

jibartik is getting dangerously close to snortles level of dissent...

watch it