Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Red Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Proposed Resist System Changes - Lucy (/forums/showthread.php?t=83811)

SamwiseBanned 09-11-2012 11:14 PM

still waiting on your 171 mr root tests. balance greater than your vision of classic. i dont think its coincidence that this is a major concern for you now that you play a rogue instead of a conflag wand mule. im sure you have this vision of being the best geared rogue on the server, an unstoppable killing machine even, but its not going to happen :( you will always be known as the guild hopper who couldn't.

jdklaw 09-11-2012 11:32 PM

during live kunark era fire based spells were unresistable and never partialed, i remember this vividly and will argue with anyone to prove my point based on my unmatched memory

Dullah 09-11-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamwiseBanned (Post 723338)
still waiting on your 171 mr root tests. balance greater than your vision of classic. i dont think its coincidence that this is a major concern for you now that you play a rogue instead of a conflag wand mule. im sure you have this vision of being the best geared rogue on the server, an unstoppable killing machine even, but its not going to happen :( you will always be known as the guild hopper who couldn't.

Your bitterness, envy and passive aggression build with every post.

Likening things that were removed or nerfed (because of imbalance) to things that worked in classic EQ, like resists, is flawed logic.

jdklaw 09-11-2012 11:36 PM

your logic is flawed samwise

Nirgon 09-11-2012 11:39 PM

Red general = blue rnf

jdklaw 09-11-2012 11:40 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfvRRXcyX8w

SearyxTZ 09-11-2012 11:43 PM

Sam I am breaking my self-imposed hiatus from this board just to respond to you here.

"Balance versus classic"? Really?

I had written a LONG post articulating the differences of the two resist systems in that Trakanon thread, responding to Rogean. I ended up just nuking it but I'll give you the short form here.

This custom resist system is not even close to being better balanced than live was.

On live: monks and rogues were underpowered pre-epic/tstaff, and middle-of-the-pack once 60 and fully geared. Druids were one of the best (along with SK). I played all three classes on Tallon Zek, so I would know.

Here: Druids are stronger. They can land their retarded DD-root spells here. SKs are also stronger. Paladins, too. Yep... three of the best pvp classes on live were effectively buffed under this custom system. Monks and rogues? They're worse. The weaker classes were effectively nerfed. Classes like bards and enchanters? Their balance is even more polarized and rock-paper-scissors now. They can land things they couldn't before (WTYH, bard mez, etc), but can be rooted and stunned now. It's a mess. All it really does is introduce cheap unavoidable deaths if you happen to be on the wrong side of the random number generator.

I cannot emphasize how good it was for the gameplay to remove CC from the equation. In classic you HAD to be good at sticking to people with a melee to get kills. As a caster, you learned all the jukes and tricks with terrain and kept buffs up like levitate. To me this was much preferred over WoW-EQ where the pvp strategy is dumbed down to spamming CC on one guy. I don't want to play that. I used to drop in on entire raids on my live monk -- here I wouldn't even chance a 1v4 situation because there's a pretty good chance I'd get rooted and zerged if they're spamming a 1.5 second spell with a 10-15% chance to land.

If I was balancing a resist system I would use classic as the baseline + buff enchanter/cleric nukes. That's all that was ever needed.

I get what Null was trying to do in theory by "fixing" unused spell lines, but the fact is certain spell lines have no place in pvp. There was a reason Verant flat-out disabled fear + charm, and made any forms of CC nearly impossible to land unless the target was heavily debuffed. Since I doubt any of the custom designs for eqemu servers are being tested much internally, that 80/20 poll against it after 10 months of player testing is all the feedback necessary. I don't know if he still checks these forums, though. I sure wouldn't hold it against him for not doing so.

SamwiseBanned 09-11-2012 11:44 PM

im not in favor of those things, they were obviously imba. my point is eq classic dev team did not have everything right. resists are a tricky thing to tweak. compare eq lives start to this one. on this server everyone knew exactly what to get and where. you've taken every advantage you can gain on this server. you joined uprising to level so you could avoid the zerg then ended up joining the high end zerg. at one point Nihilum had the entire server on farm status when the numbered dwindled to 4 to 5 players on at night. to tell me the eq dev team 13 years ago balanced the game around a one guild server is crazytalk.

SamwiseBanned 09-11-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SearyxTZ (Post 723369)
Sam I am breaking my self-imposed hiatus from this board just to respond to you here.

"Balance versus classic"? Really?

I had written a LONG post articulating the differences of the two resist systems in that Trakanon thread, responding to Rogean. I ended up just nuking it but I'll give you the short form here.

This custom resist system is not even close to being better balanced than live was.

On live: monks and rogues were underpowered pre-epic/tstaff, and middle-of-the-pack once 60 and fully geared. Druids were one of the best (along with SK). I played all three classes on Tallon Zek, so I would know.

Here: Druids are stronger. They can land their retarded DD-root spells here. SKs are also stronger. Paladins, too. Yep... three of the best pvp classes on live were effectively buffed under this custom system. Monks and rogues? They're worse. The weaker classes were effectively nerfed. Classes like bards and enchanters? Their balance is even more polarized and rock-paper-scissors now. They can land things they couldn't before (WTYH, bard mez, etc), but can be rooted and stunned now. It's a mess. All it really does is introduce cheap unavoidable deaths if you happen to be on the wrong side of the random number generator.

I cannot emphasize how good it was for the gameplay to remove CC from the equation. In classic you HAD to be good at sticking to people with a melee to get kills. As a caster, you learned all the jukes and tricks with terrain and kept buffs up like levitate. To me this was much preferred over WoW-EQ where the pvp strategy is dumbed down to spamming CC on one guy. I don't want to play that. I used to drop in on entire raids on my live monk -- here I wouldn't even chance a 1v4 situation because there's a pretty good chance I'd get rooted and zerged if they're spamming a 1.5 second spell with a 10-15% chance to land.

If I was balancing a resist system I would use classic as the baseline + buff enchanter/cleric nukes. That's all that was ever needed.

I get what Null was trying to do in theory by "fixing" unused spell lines, but the fact is certain spell lines have no place in pvp. There was a reason Verant flat-out disabled fear + charm, and made any forms of CC nearly impossible to land unless the target was heavily debuffed. Since I doubt any of the custom designs for eqemu servers are being tested much internally, that 80/20 poll against it after 10 months of player testing is all the feedback necessary. I don't know if he still checks these forums, though. I sure wouldn't hold it against him for not doing so.

im not trying to troll you but if you think a monk taking out a whole raid is balanced you are mentally retarded. even surviving 4v1 is laughable and there is no way that is balanced unless you are talking about taking on 4 afkers. if that is truely end game classic eq pvp and that is what this server wants then im for it, i just dont want any part of godmode pvp.

also i have yet to see root spammed unless its to keep the fleeing opposition from plugging in a force on force situation. when FF/Nihilum fought in sol b, noone was mass CCing, everyone was nuking and moving. sure some occasions call for it but as far as two forces colliding head to head, root is not the opening cast.

SearyxTZ 09-11-2012 11:49 PM

Since this is really just the latest malcontent hot topic of the month on the red99 forums though I'd like to put out that the resist system is a very minor problem compared to the issue of not being able to find other players period unless you're 51+ and and in one of the two big guilds.

Roll up a new toon and you'll be able to count the total # of players you see from 1 to 30 on one hand. That's no bueno. I know it's an old archaic game at this point but it is a really hard sell onto anyone playing something more recent (say Guild Wars 2) when it's essentially a single player game. Vile had the right idea with his small scale server and low number of zones.