Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Red Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   thinking of hanging up the belt (/forums/showthread.php?t=58490)

Uberom 12-22-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caravelle1 (Post 500564)
After a month of playing 5-8 hours a night. It dawned on me that I'm not really having that much fun. I've played the majority of PvP mmo's starting with Ultima Online, shadowbane, FPS shooters, Warcraft, Starcraft, and Dota clones.

Everquest PvP mechanics really suck. It's by far the single most imbalanced PvP game I've played. I'm not saying this cause I'm upset with my class or anything, in fact I think chanters are too good and probably need to be toned down here. PvP is BORING, there's very little variability in the skills or how you can use them on people.
EQ does not promote even fights. In my history of EQ > Playing on Sullon Zek for 4 years, and a few previous boxes to this one. I have NEVER seen an even matchup, or anything close to resembling a fair engagement. Out literally thousands of fights someone is either low on health, the groups are uneven, there's a mob agro'd on them when you engage, OOR healers, trains, zoneline disconnects.

I WANT a challenging encounter. DAOC comes to mind if anyone has ever played it PvPers respected each other and enjoyed even fair fights, so much so that if there was a 8 vs 8 fight going on, and some random people walk up and attack, the groups would disengage from each other, kill the randoms, and then restart the fight.

Not sure what I can ask for or expect. What I thought would be cool was a EQ server in a classic setting, but balance the chars for PvP. Which wont happen ever, so I'll look for something else maybe.
Exp bonus wouldnt hurt either, I'm near 50, but I feel really bad for people and see them quitting too because they find time to spend 3 hours grinding, and make 1 blue of exp.

Shadowbane best PVP game of all time imo. They are actually close to releasing a emu server for it. Look up "Play to Crush". Shit will be sick.

Scrooge 12-22-2011 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caravelle1 (Post 500564)
I WANT a challenging encounter. DAOC comes to mind if anyone has ever played it PvPers respected each other and enjoyed even fair fights, so much so that if there was a 8 vs 8 fight going on, and some random people walk up and attack, the groups would disengage from each other, kill the randoms, and then restart the fight.

I've tried to make this happen several times in the past, on a classic DAOC emu-server: Uthgard, which resembles P99 in the way that it's made with very similar rules etc. Before Red99 was thrown on the table, it was a way for P99 players to enjoy some PvP on the side while getting their PvE on in EQ.

But most people from P99 couldn't handle the game very well, and would drop out before reaching L20+ (PvP can start as early as 24, depending on the skill of the player and the group they're with). It's a shame too, cause every time I raised a char on that server, I had tons of fun with it in PvP with the friends I brought over from my previous times there.

Nirgon 12-22-2011 06:42 PM

I got a fully templated out Thidranki stomper troll warrior there. The problem is the place is ghost town during US hours.

mourning 12-22-2011 07:00 PM

MMO Pvp isnt supposed to be fair and balanced if you want that please play counterstrike.

That game is perfectly balanced and very competitive and fun, I was cal-premiere and main for a while, it sounds like that is what you are looking for.

Provided you suck at fps try some RTS.

Everquest is not and was never a pvp game, it was never balanced, its an adventure with some pvp thrown in to keep it fresh and to have turf wars. That does not mean it isnt alot of fun, but wanting it to be balanced is not what it is in the first place.

DAOC also is not balanced, trust me I've played daoc since release on and off for years on almost every server with rank 11 characters. My crew all also has rank 11's scattered around and we competed at the top levels of 8v8 throughout different times. It's closer to balance than EQ, but it is not balanced by any means. DAOC was the most fun PVP game I have ever played but the pve sucks compared to eq, and Mordred is dead. This server is really the best thing out there for people like us, who enjoy challenge and not a themepark pussy handhold gaming experience.

WOW is pretty balanced but look at what that turned into? The game is a fucking horrible shitfest every class does every ability now, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Its EQ. Each class is cleary defined. You win with tactics and knowledge. You poopsock. People killed themselves over it. Its unbalanced. Its old and shitty. Its full of people with inflated ego's over a game that you can click and win.

BUT ITS THE BEST SHIT OUT THERE. LONG LIVE r99

Caravelle1 12-22-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrooge (Post 500858)
I've tried to make this happen several times in the past, on a classic DAOC emu-server: Uthgard, which resembles P99 in the way that it's made with very similar rules etc. Before Red99 was thrown on the table, it was a way for P99 players to enjoy some PvP on the side while getting their PvE on in EQ.

But most people from P99 couldn't handle the game very well, and would drop out before reaching L20+ (PvP can start as early as 24, depending on the skill of the player and the group they're with). It's a shame too, cause every time I raised a char on that server, I had tons of fun with it in PvP with the friends I brought over from my previous times there.

I just installed with a buddy, we have chars in all realms

47 druid
49 eld
2 40 blademasters
40 bard

45 thurgist
50 cleric
50 sorc
50 pally
50 infil

40 shaman
40 spiritmaster

What levle did oyu guys make it to? we could roll out sometime

And Nirgon we had the same problem, but we were just gonna wake up at like 5am US time and do a 2 hour run in their primetime lol

Scrooge 12-22-2011 07:20 PM

We've got 50s in every realm, but there's no interest in playing there again, atleast not at this time. Me and my compadres will be staying on Red99.

Wotsirb401 12-22-2011 07:50 PM

Nothing compares to DAOC RVR. I would be down to start on the Uthgard server if anyone wants to get back into DAOC

Scrooge 12-22-2011 08:03 PM

And as for there not being action during US prime time, that's not really true either. I've had PvP happen during EST prime time plenty of times, in battlegrounds especially.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/8360/sshot280a.jpg

skorge 12-22-2011 09:14 PM

Sorry to see ya go bro...DAOC was awesome, miss those days!

Dfn 12-22-2011 09:34 PM

"Battlegrounds"

lol k