Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   VGOEmulator update (/forums/showthread.php?t=152782)

mwatt 06-30-2014 04:31 AM

I friggin loved VG. The game was robbed - it should have been the greatest MMO of all time. I'm stoked that someone is trying to preserve/resurrect it.

I sincerely hope you / you all are successful.

But which VG will you field? The one at release time was too buggy to play.

The one about 8 months in was probably close to the best.

Then Sillias came and started to wowify it. At the time I left he had just instituted changes that essentially made the game unsoloable. I hope it is not that one that you will bring into being.

In reality, what VG needed more than anything was itemization. As much as I would be interested in Classic VG, I think I might be MORE interested in a VG that is more representative of what VG COULD have been.

Whichever VG you bring, once again - you rock. Great work, please continue.

Itching 06-30-2014 01:38 PM

Sadly I was planning on playing this game when I got off deployment but the news that it is shutting down kind of put a stop to that. In the short amount of time that I am back before they shut it down I will what I can do about using the program to get some information. Are there any areas/starting zones that you would like for us to focus on?

xinux 07-10-2014 03:15 AM

Quick little update:

Added: Much better movement support (no more spawns appearing and disappearing while moveing)
Added: Characters will now save and load more data from the Database
Added Login: The char_lasteen timestamp will now be utilized when a character is saved world-side
Changed: made world a bit less spammy on the logwrites
Changed: re-enabled proximity spawning

Cookiefist 07-10-2014 11:19 AM

Can you make a character and log into the world yet? I wanna play it!

xinux 07-10-2014 11:27 AM

Yes you can make a character log in and run around but that is about it at this point we are still alpha actually i would call it pre-alpha to be fair.

Socratic 07-10-2014 11:48 AM

I really loved Vanguard. Was a shame to see Brad mismanage it into the ground before it was even released. Had a ton of really great ideas and a big world but its potential was crushed into linear progression hell after all the pre-launch and early-release mess.

APW was a blast (though ghetto-instanced).

Don't think I could play it again though.

Grimjaw 07-10-2014 12:49 PM

screw vanguard. bring back shadowbane!

yorumi 07-10-2014 12:51 PM

I'm going to have to look into this more closely, I loved the design of vanguard and eq2. One thing I miss in p99 is playable fae. I still love p99, which is good since I assume these projects are still years away. Don't know why I never thought to look for emu projects for those. Too bad soe won't just make the server engines open source when they shut down games.

I'm a programmer, can't say I've reverse engineered a server before, but I'll register on the forums later and decide if I want to contribute some(not that I have anything against it but working all day as a programer makes going home and doing it after slightly less appealing).

Leeyuuduu 07-10-2014 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimjaw (Post 1528654)
screw vanguard. bring back shadowbane!

They already did

http://shadowbaneemulator.com/ (Beta)

http://www.magicbane.com/ (Live)

xinux 07-29-2014 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up a new Developer Volt and we are still looking for more if anyone is interested.

Basic lua support is now in and a few commands have been added.

http://vgoemulator.net/phpBB3/downlo...=621&mode=view

and had to throw this in.

Attachment 5335