Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Strategy RPGs (SRPG) (/forums/showthread.php?t=26579)

fischsemmel 02-02-2011 01:23 AM

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about X-Com. Wow, I love that game.

It is quite nasty though. Even on easy difficulties, you're going to lose units (or maybe your whole team) on your first few missions unless you save every turn (maybe multiple times per turn) and aren't afraid to load up a save until you get everything just right.

KilyenaMage 02-22-2011 01:18 AM

Want to add Civilization 5 to this thread. You need a relatively beefy comp to run it....and while it's not really an RPG, it's easily the best/deepest strategy game I've played.

The sheer number of options available are quite literally intimidating at first....yet the UI is fantastic. Every option is just TWO clicks away.

Give it a go if you have a comp that can run it. Even if you've never played or played and disliked previous Civ games, this one will likely change your mind.

DetroitVelvetSmooth 02-22-2011 01:39 AM

Not strictly strategy, but if you like the above types of games and don't mind a challenge : XCOM UFO Defence was maybe the best gaming experience I've ever had.

edit : Damn, mentioned! Bad post... but good game.

DetroitVelvetSmooth 02-22-2011 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fischsemmel (Post 215364)
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about X-Com. Wow, I love that game.

It is quite nasty though. Even on easy difficulties, you're going to lose units (or maybe your whole team) on your first few missions unless you save every turn (maybe multiple times per turn) and aren't afraid to load up a save until you get everything just right.

That's cheating bro. If you are careful and smart about who you use as cannon fodder and build up your units you can win with minimal saving. That said, you have to play this game with a mindset that its ok to lose. You are fighting spaceship-flying aliens after all.

Hasbinbad 02-22-2011 02:25 AM

Crystal Defenders for my phone, yo.

Goobles 02-22-2011 05:57 AM

Deus Ex takes the cake on all games and genres.

Duma 02-22-2011 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DetroitVelvetSmooth (Post 226573)
That's cheating bro. If you are careful and smart about who you use as cannon fodder and build up your units you can win with minimal saving. That said, you have to play this game with a mindset that its ok to lose. You are fighting spaceship-flying aliens after all.

The thing is even on easy any random alien with the weakest energy weapon can headshot your entire squad one after another from the far opposite side of the map pretty much any time it wants.

It's a great game but you're going to end up with some bruises from smashing your head into your desk.

And that is just Enemy Unknown. Terror from the Deep is even more ruthless.

Omnimorph 02-22-2011 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KilyenaMage (Post 226566)
Want to add Civilization 5 to this thread. You need a relatively beefy comp to run it....and while it's not really an RPG, it's easily the best/deepest strategy game I've played.

The sheer number of options available are quite literally intimidating at first....yet the UI is fantastic. Every option is just TWO clicks away.

Give it a go if you have a comp that can run it. Even if you've never played or played and disliked previous Civ games, this one will likely change your mind.

Off topic : Civ 5 is great, BUT Civ 2 is the definitive strategy game. Before they brought in all this culture bullshit and snazzy graphics. That game was just flat out brilliance. Graphics weren't over elaborate, but decent enough. Mechanics of the game were flawless... loved it. Every civ since civ 2 has been slightly disappointing, but still a good game in their own right. Turn based strategies are a personal favourite of mine.

I liked the concept of final fantasy tactics, but the storyline was a bit weak. So i never really gave it much time.

Scrooge 02-22-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omnimorph (Post 226637)
I liked the concept of final fantasy tactics, but the storyline was a bit weak. So i never really gave it much time.

Really? I thought it was quite complex.

Nebichan 02-22-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrooge (Post 214649)
Can anyone recommend, or post your favorite SRPGs for Consoles? (Strategy RPG, non-RTS)

Disgaea 1 and 2 - PS2
La Pucelle Tactics - PS2

Disgaea and La Pucella come from Nippon Ichi. I do recommend you check out their other games, Makai Kingdom, Atelier Iris, ...

There's also Valkyrie Profile (DS), but it's rather high difficulty o_O

I love sjrpg <3