Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   GPU not detected (/forums/showthread.php?t=356196)

Monkie 04-20-2020 08:47 AM

GPU not detected

When you first open EQ and click options the game allows you to chose the GPU in use.

This will only allow me to use the onboard GPU and not my dedicated Nvidia GPU, causing the game to run much slower.

I have told the computer in all other ways to use the Nvidia GPU at all times. Performance, selecting each program etc. However EQ will not detect this card to run on it.

Anyone know how to make this GPU show up in the EQ options?

omguh 04-26-2020 04:31 PM

I discovered I had a similar problem today. Game was using my onboard graphics instead of my nvidia graphics card (RTX 2070).

Things I tried:
- Disabling the onboard graphics entirely. I did this by disabling the card in device manager in windows. I was unable to disable it in bios (no option). The game loaded using the nvidia gpu, but it was missing textures and all sorts of shit. I had to revert this change.
- Updating all my drivers. Didn't make a difference.
- Loading nvidia control panel and changing global settings and app specific to use the nvidia gpu. This didn't change anything wrt eq.

The fix that finally worked: I think it was the combination of the nvidia control panel forcing the nvidia gpu to be used, as well as disabling compatibility mode for the application. I previously had it running the app in compatibility mode for windows 7. Reason for that is when /camping the app crashes, in compatibility mode it doesn't crash.

Savok 04-27-2020 07:57 PM

You need dgVoodoo2 for laptops that have both CPU and Nvidia graphics card. The instructions are pretty straight forward.

Quote:

Some laptops containing hybrid graphics, with discrete graphics processing capabilities, often do not get utilized by the PC Client. This is due to the graphics in the older PC client being based on MS DirectX 8. A DirectX wrapper has been found that can successfully enable use of the discrete GPU, over the slower on board graphics. You can download the wrapper at dgVoodoo2. Versions 2.54 and newer have been successfully tested on AMD and NVidia based hybrid graphics on several systems under Windows 7 & 10. Password to extract the file is typically either 'dege' or can also be 'shitgoogle' if one is set. Try to download a regular usage version which doesn't have a password set.

To install the wrapper, you need to open the downloaded zip file, and copy the D3D9.dll file found in the MS subfolder, and put this in the same folder as your eqgame.exe. Then just run the eqgame.exe normally. DO NOT PUT THIS FILE IN YOUR WINDOWS SYSTEM FOLDER!!! When you go into the options to select your graphics card, it will typically have a generic description for the wrapped dgVoodoo card like "\DISPLAY1". After selecting this display adapter, the game should run normally, with the exception of changing screen resolutions. If you change the display resolution in game, it WILL crash the client. So only do this in a safe location. You can optionally change the resolution by hand in the eqgame.ini.

If the wrapper is loaded, in game it will have a "dgVoodoo" watermark in the lower right corner of the display. The performance difference is usually very noticeable. But if you want to be sure, you can use software such as GPU-Z, to monitor the load on the discrete graphics card.
It is possible to remove the watermark if you wish to edit the file information.

Chortles Snortles 01-26-2023 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omguh (Post 3118629)
The fix that finally worked:I think it was the combination of the nvidia control panel forcing the nvidia gpu to be used, as well as disabling compatibility mode for the application.

the only reason i even noticed i had a problem was because i started streaming again these symptoms occurred

the bolded step fixed the issue for me on Windows 11

thank you!!!

Preacher85 01-26-2023 11:22 AM

Mine does this on my MSI laptop with a 3060. When I go through settings it was trying to use the onboard GFX from Intel. I went into the management through Nvidia which then took me to the Win11 one built in. Added EQGame.exe and selected to force it to the 3060ti. Works just fine now.

Lited1980 01-27-2023 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkie (Post 3114854)
When you first open EQ and click options the game allows you to chose the GPU in use.

This will only allow me to use the onboard GPU and not my dedicated Nvidia GPU, causing the game to run much slower.

I have told the computer in all other ways to use the Nvidia GPU at all times. Performance, selecting each program etc. However EQ will not detect this card to run on it.

Anyone know how to make this GPU show up in the EQ options?

Try running the game in compatibility mode for a different version of Windows. Right-click on the EQ shortcut and select "Properties," then go to the "Compatibility" tab and select a different version of Windows to run the game in compatibility mode.