Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Starting Zone (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   How much do you usually tip porters? (/forums/showthread.php?t=327386)

Loadsamoney 06-07-2019 01:44 AM

How much do you usually tip porters?

It's eating a decent chunk out of my meager earnings right now, but I try to tip 1pp per my character level, I.E 15pp at Level 15.

Just curious what the average or customary tip is for a port. Don't want to come off as a cheapskate to those druids and wizards trying to put food on their table.

Jimjam 06-07-2019 02:02 AM

Depends on the job.

40pp if I'm not taking up much of their time (I'm already at circle, I'm sharing a ride). More if I'm desperate for a ride and they reciprocate with speedy service. Also more if it's anything more complicated than a simple pick up and drop.

I try to be bound near banks so I can tip when on a CR. I know industry standard is to give CR rides, but these are some of the more valuable rides to me so I don't want to skimp too often.

I'll pay less if I am on a lower level toon but I'll make the porter aware when I contact them. Often I won't bother even looking for a port if I can't afford to donate more than a couple of dozen pp.

Of course you should be throwing LOAAAADSAAAAMUNNNNEEEYYY at them Mr. Fastshow.

Edit: I may be an outlier as I don't really like buying gear; in my mind pp is only really for tipping service givers and buying consumables or spells.

Albanwr 06-07-2019 02:56 AM

if I summon up a porter from another zone at least 50 and I normally do 60.

If a porter is in a zone I am in and they are advertising looking for customers I do 30.

feniin 06-07-2019 03:29 AM

My character's level up to 50, generally. If it's complicated or I ask for other buffs I'll do more. If I have to wait too long (more than a few minutes) it's less.

loramin 06-07-2019 10:32 AM

50p

Celery4183 06-07-2019 10:41 AM

Only have two toons around 30 and 34 but I will tip around 30-40p if I cant bum a ride off a guildie :)

btravis1990 06-07-2019 11:53 AM

I usually tip based on distance going, and I usually grab them from tunnel where they are marketing them anyway but here is my general responses I get:

30-40pp Ty or Thanks, sometimes a thank you!

40-50pp Thank you!!

50+ Thank you!! want any other buffs?

It also depends on your level, when I was poor no gear I tipped 30 when I could but now i throw 50 just because I have the disposable income.

Also friend a few of the nice porters, get to tkonw them and they will prioritize you.

Isey 06-07-2019 01:14 PM

I always gave what I could afford but now at 45 I generally just tip 30 plat. I do buff with Clarity, GOM, and insight to help them speed up their ports though (and people have offered to tip me 15 plat just for that, which I always decline).

However, in a pinch or in a tough to get to spot I'll give a plat per level, especially if I have had a lot of good grinding for plat. Spells are getting expensive and since my 45 is my highest level toon I need to be able to afford things still.

Every porter has been awesome and polite regardless of the tip a d I am even levelling a druid alt so I can also help port around the server. Sometimes when I am playing those guys are swamped and just want to give back to the server.

Also the number of free CR ports I have received has been truly appreciated, so looking forward to doing that as well.

ineubis 06-07-2019 01:48 PM

I have always tipped 20pp. But when I leveled up a Druid and started porting I almost always receive more than 20.... since then I have started stepping it up "more". I don't ever summon or call for anyone, just run myself to a known port spot (rings, OT HH, etc.) and ask.

Atmas 06-07-2019 02:47 PM

Not short on plat so usually 40pp to 200pp, with most of them being around 50 to 60pp.

Depending on a lot of factors:
Was it just a TLC? (Still costs mana ie: Time)
Were they doing ports for money at the time or did they change plans cause I asked for a port?
Did they come from another zone or have to run to meet with me?
Did I have to wait for someone else to get to us before leaving?
How much plat do I have on me, will I have enough to buy another port later on or will I have to stop at the bank?