Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Green Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Tipping for Ports: Apparently I've Been Doing It Wrong (/forums/showthread.php?t=342855)

bolobaby 11-29-2019 10:05 PM

Tipping for Ports: Apparently I've Been Doing It Wrong

Let me start by saying that I'm returning to the game after 17 years - I haven't been playing on Blue or anything like that. That means I'm working off my memory from 17 years back.

Anyway...

I like to move around, but I play a Ranger. So that means I'm always wanting SoWs and Ports. Up until about level 15, I was paying 1-2pp per port. More recently, my earning potential is up, so I've been going 2-5pp, but 5pp has been more of a outlier for when I've really needed the port, or it was clear the porter was going out of their way to port me.

This aligns with what I remember from back in the day. My girlfriend at the time played a druid, and she'd always get only a few plat per port. Later, after we earned our first 1,000pp and were walking around with 1k+, we amped up our donations and started paying 10pp-20pp per port. Whenever she ported and got a few people paying 10-20pp, she would gloat about the "easy money."

Wellllllll...

I needed a port today for a corpse run, so a guildie of mine tagged along to help pay the cost of the port. She rarely ports so she had no idea what the going rate was. I didn't want to put her out since she was covering for me, so I was like, "I dunno - toss her a few plat."

This is when I learned the error of my ways. The porter explained that people are typically tipping 15-50pp per port. Naturally, my first reaction was, "Whaaaaaaat? That's outrageous!" But, I asked around my guild and some of the people who have been playing on Blue confirm that - yeah - that's the expectation.

Well, sh!t.

So - if I've stiffed you by being a cheapskate in the past, I apologize. 15-50pp is not at all how my memory serves me for a level 17 like myself. I assure you that I wasn't knowingly being chintzy. I sort of feel bad, but also recognize that - based on the number of ports I've done - I could never make up for my underpayments any time in the near term.

In the same vein, it sure seems like I'll be stuck running everywhere for a while. With the amount of traveling I do, I can't possibly fund porting anymore.

Finally, I can't help but wonder if I've been blowing it with SoWs. For those, I've only been going 1-2pp...

Sigh.

Alendarr

Zeboim 11-29-2019 10:07 PM

Rule of thumb is .5pp per level imo.

randal.flagg 11-29-2019 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeboim (Post 3039488)
Rule of thumb is .5pp per level imo.

lulz. so you want me to pay 250p @ lvl 50? no thanks.

It should be relative to what you have and the inconvenience it puts the porter through. I've NEVER mandated a fee when I have ported hundreds of times on blue. I *DO*, however, remember the good tippers. So just keep that in mind. If you dont really tip well you wont really get a lot of ports.

I've been paying 10-15p per port and will amp that up as i make more plat.

Bazia 11-29-2019 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randal.flagg (Post 3039492)

It should be relative to what you have and the inconvenience it puts the porter through. I've NEVER mandated a fee when I have ported hundreds of times on blue. I *DO*, however, remember the good tippers. So just keep that in mind. If you dont really tip well you wont really get a lot of ports.

it would be 25pp at 50

Naxy 11-29-2019 10:25 PM

.5 pp probably means 0.5 pp, so 25 pp at lvl 50?

Graahle 11-29-2019 10:28 PM

Quote:

Math hardest game YiKes

Madbad 11-29-2019 10:30 PM

OP is a poor

Cen 11-29-2019 10:38 PM

On blue 1pp per level is the norm.

Psycho raiders late for a raid would give me like 200pp sometimes lol

Zeboim 11-29-2019 10:38 PM

Quote:

Get you some glasses bruh

Tethler 11-29-2019 10:39 PM

1 plat per level was a fairly common rate on blue where there is an absolute flood of plat sitting in the economy, and it isnt rare to get a 100p port tip there. Green and teal don't have anywhere near as much money floating around since the servers just started. Nobody will expect you to pay 50p for a port on green/teal.