Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Green Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   People Boxing Think They Are So Clever (/forums/showthread.php?t=344397)

MaCtastic 12-13-2019 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bazia (Post 3050286)
IP exemptions are abused so frequently that they should be eliminated admittedly at the expense of the tiny tiny minority who actually do use them correctly

I do not subscribe to this mass punishment mentality. Police your own, report when you see it.

Evets 12-13-2019 05:16 PM

I have an exemption and have never abused it. I prefer to play one character and even if boxing were permitted I wouldn't want to... I play the game for fun sometimes with my fiance sometimes not... not as some kind of online social credit score to show off (or whatever the reason for boxing is).

I play online games for online interaction if I wanted to solo I would definitely be playing something else like witcher, red dead ect.

vossiewulf 12-13-2019 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by French Wizard (Post 3050296)
there should not be any ip exemptions as they are going to be abused 100%

Because you and your friends are people who cheat 100% of the time unless prevented from doing so doesn't mean everyone is like that.

And there are in fact quite a lot of people who are not in a race with anything and don't get obsessed by having particular anythings in these games.

And I still find it nearly unbelievable that people actually box by choice, before P99 I had never paid much attention to it and always associated it with Chinese plat-farmer slaves. It's like having a nice sportscar and taking it out to drive 5mph in deep mud. Yes, technically you're still driving a nice car, but every drop of fun in the experience has been removed, and that's what I think of when I think of trying to run multiple characters at once with EQ, or any game for that matter where managing multiple characters isn't designed in (BG etc.)

People who box by choice in games like these, particularly 20 year old niche games, have absolutely zero interest in what these games were designed to provide: exploration, wonder, meet lots of people, with exciting combat.

They don't go anywhere other than where maximum value to them is, they're not interested by anything they see, they don't want to interact with anyone, and the only thing they think about combat is how I can make it quicker and easier and more pointless. Only thing they care about is having whatever it is they want, be it level or item, and anything between them and those goals is just an annoyance to be cheated/min-maxed through as quickly as possible.

They don't actually experience anything, and probably don't know what it means. All they know is blind desire for whatever thing they've locked onto now as the next thing they MUST have, probably because they think that thing will make them feel better somehow. But it never does. And so they're locked in an endless chase for things that won't fix anything.

Basically their priorities are so utterly farked that the one thing you can be sure of is that they're doing none too well in life, and it ain't getting any better.

Lemonhead 12-13-2019 07:01 PM

I think most the people actually doing content 2 box (dumb idea, very easy to spot) are using 2 computers and a VPN or phone hotspot on one.

If you are going to really try to get away with consistent boxing, you are better not getting an ip exemption. Now, do some fall for the temptation to buff/rez themselves sometimes. Yah. And I've seen people use it to /q quick load toons tons of times. I sorta think all of top guild people have an IP exemption for this. If there is a way to detect single computer boxing, is there a way to completely prevent it?

tg822 12-13-2019 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vossiewulf (Post 3050386)
Because you and your friends are people who cheat 100% of the time unless prevented from doing so doesn't mean everyone is like that.

And there are in fact quite a lot of people who are not in a race with anything and don't get obsessed by having particular anythings in these games.

And I still find it nearly unbelievable that people actually box by choice, before P99 I had never paid much attention to it and always associated it with Chinese plat-farmer slaves. It's like having a nice sportscar and taking it out to drive 5mph in deep mud. Yes, technically you're still driving a nice car, but every drop of fun in the experience has been removed, and that's what I think of when I think of trying to run multiple characters at once with EQ, or any game for that matter where managing multiple characters isn't designed in (BG etc.)

People who box by choice in games like these, particularly 20 year old niche games, have absolutely zero interest in what these games were designed to provide: exploration, wonder, meet lots of people, with exciting combat.

They don't go anywhere other than where maximum value to them is, they're not interested by anything they see, they don't want to interact with anyone, and the only thing they think about combat is how I can make it quicker and easier and more pointless. Only thing they care about is having whatever it is they want, be it level or item, and anything between them and those goals is just an annoyance to be cheated/min-maxed through as quickly as possible.

They don't actually experience anything, and probably don't know what it means. All they know is blind desire for whatever thing they've locked onto now as the next thing they MUST have, probably because they think that thing will make them feel better somehow. But it never does. And so they're locked in an endless chase for things that won't fix anything.

Basically their priorities are so utterly farked that the one thing you can be sure of is that they're doing none too well in life, and it ain't getting any better.

Painfully accurate. Despite being ostensibly social games mmos encourage antisocial behavior.

Vizax_Xaziv 12-13-2019 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vallaen (Post 3049902)
Your story is boring without a video or logs so imma post an old video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfvADznhTQA

Holy shit! How have I never seen this?

LITERALLY LOL'ed when Braknar Deathtouched 'em!

BlackBellamy 12-13-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vossiewulf (Post 3050386)

There are plenty of eqemu servers that allow boxing as well as that being part of the classic experience. I find your attitude very condescending and I think you're involved in a lot of projection. Maybe that's how you would feel if you did it, but you don't get to tell people how to play in an open world mmo with no win conditions. It's not allowed on P99 and that's cool, but don't get all high and mighty how you're playing the right way and other people are blind and farked and whatever. Some people are anti-social and so what. You gotta go preen what bad people they are?

vossiewulf 12-13-2019 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBellamy (Post 3050447)
It's not allowed on P99 and that's cool, but don't get all high and mighty how you're playing the right way and other people are blind and farked and whatever. Some people are anti-social and so what. You gotta go preen what bad people they are?

You're right that I should have said all of that applies to P99 boxers, who are cheating to do what they do. Those people have issues as it's not a matter of being antisocial, it's a matter of cheating to get what they want faster.

I would still be unable to fathom why boxing would be fun in any context, but you're right that I should have acknowledged those who only do it where it's allowed may be doing so because they want a group without people... but you know then the question is why is the person playing an MMO? Hard to follow the logic, like someone with a fear of spiders deciding they HAVE to go work at the world's largest spider zoo. But anyway, if they're not cheating then they're just being a little odd and no harm no foul.

Bazia 12-13-2019 09:32 PM

I dont resent people who box I understand in earlier PC RPGs and MUDs the player more often than not controlled an entire party rather than a single character and some people prefer that playstyle, but it does ruin p99 when people are boxing and you can't.

The exemptions are just abused at such frequency I think it is irresponsible for them to exist at this point.

ZiggyTheMuss 12-13-2019 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rgnorak (Post 3049896)
It ever just pull your funny strings when clearly someone coming up with a random story just so happens to be terrible at hiding the fact they are obviously boxing.

LOL yeah it's pretty funny. There was this dickhead on blue who was always boxing his shaman and paladin together (even had them in separate guilds to try to avoid suspicion) and I had a mutual friend with said dickhead.

My friend clued me into the fact that this guy was a boxer but swore me to secrecy as far as not reporting him. I kept my promise but I would always mess with this guy when we were grouping with him. I would talk to both of his toons like they were separate characters and it was hilarious to see him jump through all these extra hoops just to try to maintain the illusion that he was two people.