Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Melee (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Are Rangers still hated in Velious era? (/forums/showthread.php?t=327125)

Loadsamoney 06-04-2019 01:56 PM

Are Rangers still hated in Velious era?

Are they still shunned from parties in Velious P1999? I want to roll one from scratch, completely unfunded, but not if people are still ultra snobby about party composition.

DinoTriz2 06-04-2019 02:21 PM

Nah, they're fine. Ranger it up, bud.

Loadsamoney 06-04-2019 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DinoTriz2 (Post 2919549)
Nah, they're fine. Ranger it up, bud.

Mmk. I figured that if not a 6-man, then at least most Raids would want a Ranger just for the tracking. But I plan to solo it as much as I can so if I can't get groups, hopefully it won't be too bad. With Root, DoT's, self healing and decent melee I'd think Rangers would make decent soloers as long as you can control the pulls.

stebbins99 06-04-2019 02:30 PM

Rangers are awesome pullers in outdoor zones for groups. Thus, if you're looking to group whilst levelling up, I'd suggest focusing on outdoor zones to maximize your desirability. (ie SoW and Harmony)

loramin 06-04-2019 03:22 PM

It really depends on context.

A lot of Ranger hate comes from them being sub-optimal on raids, and in truth Rangers do still get asked to take death touches on many raids (implying that they're the least useful class there). However, if you look at DPS parses a comparably geared Ranger isn't that far off from a Rogue ... certainly not to the point that a guild wouldn't want that extra DPS. And with a BFG the Ranger can actually deal superior damage, as long as their Trueshot discipline lasts.

But again, all that's for raiding, not grouping. In groups much of the Ranger hate came from the fact that they (like other hybrids) used to eat a disproportionate amount of the gorup's experience. But (being in Velious) we're past the point where group members are penalized for grouping with hybrids, so that's no longer an issue. Now in groups Rangers are still sub-optimal DPS relative to Rogues ... but as others mentioned they are vastly better pullers than Rogues in outdoor zones, and so definitely have a place in groups.

Loadsamoney 06-04-2019 03:32 PM

Alright, I guess I should compile a list of the gear I want to work towards now. The basics would be:

Lamentation x2
Velium Fire Wedding Ring x2
Velium Black Sapphire Necklace
Diamondine Earring x2
Banded Armor

So somewhere in the ballpark of 3-4kpp I'd need to save up, and I'd gradually swap out the Banded for Ivy Etched at the appropriate level, until PoHate gear. Lamentations would be my main weapons until when/if I can eventually do the Epic.

Guess I'd better get to farming bone chips, as it'll be cloth and rusty weapons until then. :D

Legidias 06-04-2019 03:52 PM

Skip necklace / earrings and some banded if needed and get a schw.

30 - 50's, wurmslayer is also like one of the best dps things you can use besides a woodsmans staff.

If youre really on a budget, lammy MH, silken whip of ensnaring (.5 ratio, 200p) OH.
Plat fire wedding rings are honestly fine unless you really need that top performance late game. The cost difference is huge compared to the little extra hp/ac. You can always re sell plat fire rings for basically 100% what you paid and buy velium.
SCHW is basically a necessity starter item for any melee char. Cheap 1k haste that will last.

Anything else is extra including armor.

But thats just my opinion

Loadsamoney 06-04-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legidias (Post 2919613)
Skip necklace / earrings and some banded if needed and get a schw.

30 - 50's, wurmslayer is also like one of the best dps things you can use besides a woodsmans staff.

Schw? Is that...Silver Chitin Handwraps?

I'll keep an eye out for Wurmcaller/Woodsman's Staff, maybe Silver Swiftblade as well, but I still want dual Lamentation eventually because they have good melee stats (6 Str/Sta, 20 HP) and super fast swing speed.

And aesthetically Ranger doesn't feel right unless using dual swords.

Thanks everyone. Soon as I get the game up and running it'll be off to grind Decaying Skeletons.

Legidias 06-04-2019 04:23 PM

Stats on weapons is good, but really ratio >>>> stats unless the stats are ungodly (in most cases).

TBH swing speed for bonus dmg is good, but doesnt really come into play to really impact DPS until your 50's, which is why 2H / high ratio weapons are DPS kings in the mid level.

SCHW = silver chitin hand wraps. The haste is worth it.

Loadsamoney 06-04-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legidias (Post 2919640)
Stats on weapons is good, but really ratio >>>> stats unless the stats are ungodly (in most cases).

TBH swing speed for bonus dmg is good, but doesnt really come into play to really impact DPS until your 50's, which is why 2H / high ratio weapons are DPS kings in the mid level.

SCHW = silver chitin hand wraps. The haste is worth it.

So you don't think Lamentation makes a good pre-epic Ranger weapon?

https://wiki.project1999.com/Lamentation