Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Starting Zone (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Fun "adventure" classes? (/forums/showthread.php?t=290759)

Saisu 02-08-2018 05:29 PM

Fun "adventure" classes?

I was too young to get much of anywhere in EQ (highest characters were in their 30's), but I was always excited to read about dungeons filled with undead frogs, Nagafen's Lair deep within Lavastorm, and even alternate planes where the Gods lived.

What classes would you recommend to someone who wants to explore Norrath, visit exciting and dangerous places, and have fun adventuring? My goal is level 50 and exploring the "original" content, but I may make it to Kunark content eventually.

I'm assuming I'd want a grouping class (to make dungeons and maybe even the easier raids a possibility), but I'm sure certain tools like Invisibility, or Sneak/Hide, or Illusions may make exploring safer and more fun? A cleric for example would be useful for a group, but you might need to sit on your butt at a camp, and just wait for mobs to be pulled to you? Maybe a Rogue could sneak around easier, but without spells I'm sure certain places are off limits? Maybe a Necromancer so you can solo decently well, and have invisibility spells?

If you have any classes you'd suggest (or recommend against) I'd love to hear!

wagorf 02-12-2018 06:03 AM

monk

Ethelen2001 02-12-2018 06:53 AM

Without hesitation : The bard.

You can touch all skill of the game (but not highest level of skills) and you have Selo to run as quickly as the wind.

I love that class, but hard to play well. You must twist between 3 or 4 songs in a cycle.

[Edit] I forgot to say you can solo with kitting. ^^

Izmael 02-12-2018 07:41 AM

Without hesitation - none of the above. Not being able to bind near the dangerous place you want to visit is game breaking if you're relatively new to the game. After a couple 2 hour-long corpse runs you'll want to stick to safe and boring places. So pick a class that can cast Bind Affinity.

One exception is a rogue because you're so safe with sneak/hide in so many places (but gotta know where you're not!) I don't know what places are off-limits to you as a rogue without spells. The only two places I can think of are Plane of Hate and Plane of Air as they require a wizard to zone in but that's not an issue really, you wouldn't be able to do much there on your own anyway.

I would recommend Druid because it's the best traveler class, you can heal yourself, you can solo well in a lot of places, you're not unreasonable in groups, and you can make starter cash porting people around. A *good* druid who knows his class well is quite an asset in a group. Being able to cast SoW on yourself is invaluable as a newbie.

Foxplay 02-12-2018 08:51 AM

Enchanter

Go anywhere
Solo almost anywhere
Group anywhere
Bind / Gate
Everyone loves your buffs

Trelaboon 02-12-2018 10:36 AM

Yep, the answer here is definitely Enchanter. It has a high skill curve but it’s the only class that can go anywhere in old dungeons by themselves and solo anything

Fearstalker 02-12-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxplay (Post 2657012)
Enchanter

Go anywhere
Solo almost anywhere
Group anywhere
Bind / Gate
Everyone loves your buffs

I agree with this. I always loved playing an enchanter. It was my main player back on live and here on P1999. A well played enchanter can save the day in groups. It's challenging and I never felt it to be boring. Grouping is fun and solo play is fun. The only other class which I have really enjoyed ins the monk. As the puller for groups, you get to run around and see the zone instead of just the group's camp spot. It's another challenging class to play which I like.

Nisse 02-12-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izmael (Post 2656992)
I don't know what places are off-limits to you as a rogue without spells. The only two places I can think of are Plane of Hate and Plane of Air as they require a wizard to zone in

Actually, a rogue with a key to Veeshan's Peak can enter the Plane of Sky via the teleporter pad in the lair of Phara Dar.

Saisu 02-12-2018 01:12 PM

I also posted this on the Reddit Project 1999 site, and here's the tally of "votes":

7 - Monk
4 - Enchanter
3 - Druid
3 - Rogue
2 - Bard
2 - Ranger
1 - Necromancer
1 - Shadow Knight

0 - Warrior
0 - Paladin
0 - Shaman
0 - Cleric
0 - Magician
0 - Wizard

Looks like Monks and Enchanters had the most responses, with Druids and Rogues as a secondary choice. Maybe this list can help other people looking for a similar "adventure" class.

Nagoya 02-12-2018 03:12 PM

+1 for druids. go halfling for hide/sneak.

for touristic purposes, adventuring all accross the old world and seeing epic mobs you had never seen before; teleports, invis, enduring breath, levitate, wolf form, sow, harmony, root, snare, ac/hp buffs, hide and sneak, track, heals...

druid's got the most versatile and independant toolbox you can have to travel the world. enchanters, necros or shamans could be better, but they don't have teleports, and will rely on other classes for many of the aforementioned things. druids need to rely on others only to kill things (they're good soloers, but when compared to necro/shaman/chanter), which is not necessary to your touristic aspirations, and as for your adventuring aspirations, you will need company anyway, so for that part you could as well be a warrior or a magician and that would work all the same.