Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   News & Announcements (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Patch Notes: Friday, May 7th, 2021 (/forums/showthread.php?t=384214)

Darkwoo 05-09-2021 08:15 PM

These are the shittiest patch notes that I've seen in the history of gaming.

Ennewi 05-09-2021 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkwoo (Post 3302726)
These are the shittiest patch notes that I've seen in the history of gaming.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkwoo (Post 3302719)
The server admins are burned out... I've seen Minecraft worlds managed by high school students with more enthusiasm and competence.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...99#post3142899

Hi all,

I recently read the comment of a scrawny gnoll named "Darkwoo" on P99. I have never been so turned off by a player's behavior. Darkwoo was extremely argumentative and immature with the most petty comments.

Darkwoo - we are all here to have fun. Relax and enjoy the game! Not everything is an argument. Anxiety is often the culprit of having to take deep breaths.

Darkwoo 05-10-2021 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ennewi (Post 3302762)
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...99#post3142899

Hi all,

I recently read the comment of a scrawny gnoll named "Darkwoo" on P99. I have never been so turned off by a player's behavior. Darkwoo was extremely argumentative and immature with the most petty comments.

Darkwoo - we are all here to have fun. Relax and enjoy the game! Not everything is an argument. Anxiety is often the culprit of having to take deep breaths.

8 years of your life, 1000+ posts, and many, many hours researching random P99 forum profiles.. you are still here.. Could you imagine if that amount of energy was applied to something useful (e.g. writing patch notes for p99)?

knucklehead 05-10-2021 11:31 AM

Caveat: A decade+ of hard work is appreciated.

Concern: You'll never find the historical patch note for "sitting no longer makes you approximately level 1 for purposes of aggro" because it was never like that.

Please fix stupid "even decaying skeletons aggro a level 60 from 50 yards away if they're sitting" aggro calc, it's way not at all how it ever was.

BlackBellamy 05-10-2021 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawk (Post 3302126)
You aren't even Consumers if you want to be all technical about it.

The Ultimate "Respect" a Developer can have for their "Consumer" is to just ignore the "Consumer" entirely and to keep a tight Development group of testers/devs creating what they created to begin with.. Not you. Consumers always try to take credibility where they have none.

Wow that's a lot of caps there. I don't go to a Mechanic when my car breaks down, I go to a mechanic. A developer is just another type of worker.

Are you a dev? You work in a professional shop? I do, and if some dev said what you said everyone would be like this guy is retarded. That's because consumers drive development. We don't build software so we can appreciate it, we build it so people can use it. And we're super responsive to our customers because without them we are mere hobbyists. If consumers say they don't like a button placement we hop right on it. If the consumers tell us it loads too slow, we speed it up. And if we can't do it, we patiently explain why and offer alternatives.

I'm just providing a professional viewpoint here. Like if you have a going concern that is interested in profits, then that's how you act. I understand p99 is a private effort staffed by volunteers and is operated on a hobby-level of support, maintenance and communication. I'm perfectly fine with that and have no higher expectations and I'm grateful for it's very existence.

I'm just taking a strong position over the generalization presented above.

loramin 05-10-2021 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBellamy (Post 3303029)
Wow that's a lot of caps there. I don't go to a Mechanic when my car breaks down, I go to a mechanic. A developer is just another type of worker.

Are you a dev? You work in a professional shop? I do, and if some dev said what you said everyone would be like this guy is retarded. That's because consumers drive development. We don't build software so we can appreciate it, we build it so people can use it. And we're super responsive to our customers because without them we are mere hobbyists. If consumers say they don't like a button placement we hop right on it. If the consumers tell us it loads too slow, we speed it up. And if we can't do it, we patiently explain why and offer alternatives.

I'm just providing a professional viewpoint here. Like if you have a going concern that is interested in profits, then that's how you act. I understand p99 is a private effort staffed by volunteers and is operated on a hobby-level of support, maintenance and communication. I'm perfectly fine with that and have no higher expectations and I'm grateful for it's very existence.

I'm just taking a strong position over the generalization presented above.

As another professional dev I just want to second this. Now to be fair, I've absolutely worked at companies that didn't listen to their users ... but I left them after a year, and none of them lasted more than a couple years after (if that).

At any good software company, listening to your customer isn't just "one important thing you should do" ... it underpins your entire development process! Literally everything you work on, except paying off technical debt, should be because your "customer interfacers" (account managers, product managers, etc.) have told your dev team "the customer(s) need this."

... but none of that changes the fact that P99 is not a company with customers: it's a bunch of volunteers giving up their free time to let the rest of us play a game.

Snaggles 05-10-2021 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkwoo (Post 3302970)
8 years of your life, 1000+ posts, and many, many hours researching random P99 forum profiles.. you are still here.. Could you imagine if that amount of energy was applied to something useful (e.g. writing patch notes for p99)?

Yea yea, we get it. Thanks Mom.

Tunabros 05-10-2021 03:31 PM

if you guys hate it here so much then play on TAKP or live

these guys are doing this shit for free

Jimjam 05-10-2021 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkwoo (Post 3302970)

Lul please post ‘curious. Yet you choose to participate’ response meme.

Shawk 05-11-2021 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBellamy (Post 3303029)
I understand p99 is a private effort staffed by volunteers and is operated on a hobby-level of support, maintenance and communication. I'm perfectly fine with that and have no higher expectations and I'm grateful for it's very existence.

Only real point I was making.

I was using caps to exaggerate the terminology he was using, sorry if that triggered your "professional developer".

"Development" is a pretty broad term, "not listening to customers" was meant to be more about the development phase of a video game being developed, the original creation.