Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   PSA: "guise" is pronounced "guys" (/forums/showthread.php?t=330064)

Videri 07-16-2019 07:52 AM

PSA: "guise" is pronounced "guys"

With Green99 coming out soon, I believe this is an urgent announcement. "Guise" is not pronounced "goose" or "gweess" or "goo-iss" or anything of the sort. If you're not sure you believe this, just think of the related word "disguise." Don't tell me you say "disgoose." Disgweess? Diss goo iss? Exqueeze me?

The word "guise" refers to the external appearance or semblance of something or someone.

Here is an audio example of someone pronouncing the word correctly.

So...when we see "Guise of the Deceiver" in-game, how do we read it aloud? That's right: "Poopsock fest."

Thank you. Please spread the word.

d3r14k 07-16-2019 09:44 AM

Good PSA. Can we also get people to stop saying SoW like the pig and say it correctly like sew (sewing machine)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Videri (Post 2936611)
Don't tell me you say "disgoose"

Should I feed dis goose?

https://i.imgur.com/Nb5gegw.png

Thugnuts 07-16-2019 10:14 AM

Honk if you eat Gnomes.

Jibartik 07-16-2019 10:51 AM

I pronounce it key-nose

Swish2 07-16-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

PSA: "guise" is pronounced "guys"
https://i.imgur.com/MRUKgRL.gif

Psyborg 07-16-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Videri (Post 2936611)
With Green99 coming out soon, I believe this is an urgent announcement. "Guise" is not pronounced "goose" or "gweess" or "goo-iss" or anything of the sort. If you're not sure you believe this, just think of the related word "disguise." Don't tell me you say "disgoose." Disgweess? Diss goo iss? Exqueeze me?

The word "guise" refers to the external appearance or semblance of something or someone.

Here is an audio example of someone pronouncing the word correctly.

So...when we see "Guise of the Deceiver" in-game, how do we read it aloud? That's right: "Poopsock fest."

Thank you. Please spread the word.

I refuse to believe that any native English speaker pronounces it any other way than 'guys.'

If you're one of these people please show yourself you savage.

Nuggie 07-16-2019 11:36 AM

I used to mispronounce "ch" in chitin like you would say "cheese" instead of "kite-in" ... it sucks to suck.

d3r14k 07-16-2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuggie (Post 2936672)
I used to mispronounce "ch" in chitin like you would say "cheese" instead of "kite-in" ... it sucks to suck.

God dammit I was hoping you'd be wrong about this but Dictionary.com seems to agree with you.

chitin [ kahy-tin ]

Haunt 07-16-2019 11:58 AM

I used to pronounce melee as 'meal-y'.

The mother lode of mispronunciation is the Alpha Investments youtube channel. That guy gets at least 15% of the words wrong when he tries to read MTG cards out loud.

Psyborg 07-16-2019 12:02 PM

Most of us were kids when we started playing EQ. Mispronouncing chitin or melee is pretty understandable, even if it carried into adulthood. Mispronouncing guise on the other hand baffles me...

A fun exercise is to get a bunch of EQ players together and have them pronounce things such as Tunare, Luclin, and Qeynos. I've seen sooo many different pronunciations there.