Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Internet addiction (/forums/showthread.php?t=417439)

pink grapefruit 04-06-2023 05:46 PM

Internet addiction

Almost 1,000 posts; with like 1/3 of that from the past few months. On a toxic forum populated by middle-aged 4channers? I gotta get outta here guys.

Can’t do a complete digital detox rn as I need some use of computer for certain work-related things. Cold turkey app on laptop and the app time limiter thing on phone is my plan. What has worked for you in the past? Feel like I’m always bouncing from internet addiction to internet addiction. MMOs, social media, Reddit, obscure message boards.

Are most people just fine with being addicted to this stuff? I’m gonna start my yoga practice again, along with the lifting and cardio.

Ekco 04-06-2023 05:49 PM

My prolific contribution to this forum, which is a cesspool of regressive and immature discourse, has reached a critical point of diminishing returns. I must extricate myself from this deleterious environment posthaste.

However, I cannot completely sever my connection to the digital realm, as some of my professional obligations require the use of computational devices. I intend to employ software tools that restrict my access to certain applications and websites on both my laptop and my phone. What strategies have you employed successfully in the past to overcome your cybernetic dependencies? I seem to be trapped in a cycle of substituting one form of online compulsion for another. Massively multiplayer online games, social media platforms, Reddit, niche forums.

Is this the normative state of affairs for most people in this age of information overload? I plan to resume my practice of yoga, in addition to my physical regimen of resistance training and cardiovascular exercise.

TheBardo 04-06-2023 05:53 PM

I find visiting a lot of sites is a reflexive thing, like you don’t even notice you’re doing it. To help with this you can block IPs on your router to stop you visiting without having to consciously login into the router and unblock it. Hope this helps.

Trexller 04-06-2023 05:56 PM

dear god humans have no capacity for self control anymore, these days it's always I gotta block this, i gotta ban that, I have to handcuff myself so I don't do whatever I don't wanna do

No, you just don't do it.

if/when i close this browser window, all of you cease to exist

PG, you don't need to get off the internet, you need to get out of your own head.

TheBardo 04-06-2023 05:58 PM

Ok mr 5k posts on the shittiest forum on the internet

Trexller 04-06-2023 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBardo (Post 3599288)
Ok mr 5k posts on the shittiest forum on the internet

like 450 a year? seems reasonable enough

i'm not crying like i got a problem with it

aussenseiter 04-06-2023 06:05 PM

Have your male guardian set up the block and not tell you what he did.

TheBardo 04-06-2023 06:11 PM

You Post in this shithole over once per day for the past 11 years, while making grumpy old man posts about “humans these days” who “lack self control” hahaaa

Trexller 04-06-2023 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trexller (Post 3599289)
i'm not crying like i got a problem with it

unsunghero 04-06-2023 06:17 PM

Thinking of and typing out (ideally complex) arguments on a forum or whatever medium is good for the brain

Assuming one doesn’t get too emotionally invested or is otherwise unable to moderate