Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   WiiU Softmodding (/forums/showthread.php?t=379146)

Muggens 02-22-2021 09:01 PM

WiiU Softmodding

Hey folks!

Ive been looking around for a good mod site/information for WiiU, any of you have experience with modding a WiiU?

I modded my old Wii a very long time ago(soldering on a chip like WiiKey etc) and cant say I know much about modding nowadays.

I just learned you can play GameCube games on the WiiU which kinda "blew my mind" and now I really gotta get my console up and running!

Any help is appreciated!

(So far I found this: https://cheapergamer.co.uk/wii-u-hacking-guide/ - Could anyone confirm this is the way to go?)

Edit: Come to think of it I have bricked Wii laying about aswell, able to get into the "safety boot up" I seem to remember. This stuffs just been packed away after lots of moving, and I lost all my bookmarks regarding this subject. So Wii mod scene shout out if you're here

magnetaress 02-22-2021 10:42 PM

Voted you 5 stars but I actually don't know how to hack or use a computer anymore.

Muggens 02-22-2021 10:56 PM

Hehe thanks, my first initial thought is always to come here posting when Im in need of some geeky help, as Ive no part in any other internet communities :p

Now, I went and googled around and stumbled across a discord channel for nintendo modding which seems really helpfull. Im good on the way of softmodding the WiiU as we speak! When thats all well and done I can start looking at restoring my bricked Wiis hehe

Edit: Backed up my NAND now, fingers crossed its all working properly and I aint never gonna have to use those files

Edit2: I had actually softmodded the Wiiu years ago using the Mocha method(found files on the SD card). But must admit my brain is memblurred of all mod knowledge

Here is a link to softmodding WiiU for those who wanna try it out:
https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/

magnetaress 02-22-2021 11:03 PM

Cool!

I miss all my old hardware. Old Redhat, SuSE running afterstep with an rendered Starfield background for the window manager. And my old classic Xbox. Not to derail.

Muggens 02-22-2021 11:10 PM

Old consoles and tech is hella cool I think!

Ive a huge collection, particularly Nintendo. I just recently bought a 1Chip model SNES from a dude in Japan.

On the WiiU, softmodded, youre gonna be able to play the entire Nintendo library from NES and up to WiiU, thats pretty amazing. Ofcourse Sega Genesis etc emulators all work too. Just get a chinese knockoff of the gamecube adaptor and you can play 4 player Mario Kart Double Dash with all yer old buddies. I think even Wiimote+Nunchuk works for NGC aswell, can even use PS3 and PS4 controllers!

magnetaress 02-22-2021 11:26 PM

Yeah. That stuff is the best part of modding. PS controllers on wii XD indeed.

Muggens 02-23-2021 12:19 AM

Looking good so far, installed the custom firmware and homebrew channel is up and running. Next step will be to get Nintendont working and getting ISOs of my gamecube games on an external drive. Luckily it seems https://vimm.net/ has most games, so I dont have to make my own

Muggens 02-23-2021 05:11 AM

Update: its all up and running now, playing mario kart double dash on the wiiu as we speak! Great visuals!
Not really that difficult to set-up, especially with the help from the great mod community on discord