Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Green Bugs (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Game Mechanics: NToV Dragons Should Have Leash Mechanics (/forums/showthread.php?t=427695)

Awsten_Tx 01-22-2024 10:37 AM

NToV Dragons Should Have Leash Mechanics

So, its no mystery rooted dragons arent classic and honestly, it kind of sucks. But I can appreciate the intent behind it.

In doing research, I found a post from a guy Quarken who logged and posted screenshots in ERA and did a full write up of various encounters.

Anywho, here is a post about Killing Dagarn where he talks about pulling dragons to different areas etc, and mentions that it was before Sony made dragons leashed to their lairs, meaning they couldnt be pulled anymore.

Aug 25, 2001;

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwZLSR5MmbZ/?img_index=6

I should quickly point out that this was the NToV I fell in love with - the one where all of the dragons could be pulled to different strategic locations, before they changed it so most of these dragons didn't leave their individual lairs/caves.

Anyways, I know it might require some dev time, but would be cool to unroot dragons and leash them to their lair.

Rygar 01-22-2024 10:46 PM

Raiders were their own worst enemy here, truly forced the devs hands. Abusing superior emulator pathing to bring deep dragons to zone in? Nah.

It was a non classic change to restore a more classic raid experience. I can see leash to lair being abused somehow anyways. Even tunare trash leash call was figured out how to get bypassed.

cotterpin 01-23-2024 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rygar (Post 3670956)
Raiders were their own worst enemy here, truly forced the devs hands. Abusing superior emulator pathing to bring deep dragons to zone in? Nah.

It was a non classic change to restore a more classic raid experience. I can see leash to lair being abused somehow anyways. Even tunare trash leash call was figured out how to get bypassed.

You can't expect players to ignore/forget over 20 years of game experience just so you can force a vision of 'classic eq' on them that you happen to prefer because you think it's better than how other people played on other servers or in other guilds.

You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. Create a 1:1 classic sandbox and let the players play. Trying to enforce a vision doesn't work. You end up with the dozens and dozens of unclassic changes that make p99 the completely custom server it is today.

Let players play.

Awsten_Tx 01-23-2024 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rygar (Post 3670956)

Eh its pretty simple to implement a rule of no shitting up encounters. Sorry for my french but I believe thats the best way to put it. The community is pretty good about policing themselves in this regard and a Leash mechanic would be a far better experience since rooting trivializes encounters in its own way.

Rygar 01-23-2024 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cotterpin (Post 3670966)
You can't expect players to ignore/forget over 20 years of game experience just so you can force a vision of 'classic eq' on them that you happen to prefer because you think it's better than how other people played on other servers or in other guilds.

You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. Create a 1:1 classic sandbox and let the players play. Trying to enforce a vision doesn't work. You end up with the dozens and dozens of unclassic changes that make p99 the completely custom server it is today.

Let players play.

You misunderstand me a bit. I'm saying training away all the trash and getting a dragon to zone in was not possible in era, just like perfect PBAoE leveling in Chardok was not possible.

Take 'possible' with a grain of salt, sure not impossible but certainly not reliable. Mobs got hung up on pathing all the time and still do to this day on live.