Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Make EQ Sound Significantly Better (/forums/showthread.php?t=27308)

Xevin 02-11-2011 05:19 PM

Make EQ Sound Significantly Better

Using the process described HERE I created an alternative snd2.pfs that has many of the lower quality sounds upgraded in quality and I also replaced a few sounds with VERY similar, but higher quality sounds. Most importantly, I replaced all the most annoying sounds.

I DID NOT change any sounds that make EQ awesome. All spell sounds as well as most UI sounds remain the same. Also a few of the movement sounds were too good to be replaced. Specifically the couching sound and the landing on the ground sound.

I significantly changed a few sounds from their previous state as I believe they were just plain annoying. The main offender was the thunder sound! That thing was driving me crazy!! The new version is much more subtle and pleasant.

Also the howling wind sound has annoyed me a great deal, so the new version is quieter and also has a more "lonesome" tone to it.

Finally the the underwater sound was sampled to low and sounded compressed and nasty. The new version is almost relaxing and of very high quality. Sadly it still only plays one time through before ending. I think something is wrong on the client that makes it do this.

Most of the combat sounds have been replaced with more realistic sounds.

I intend to eventually go through all the .pfs files and replace any low quality sounds with better ones, but for now this one file will make many people happy I think.

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Download this: Mirror 1 Mirror 2 Mirror 3
2. Extract the archive.
3. Rename the old snd2.pfs in your [EverQuest directory]* to "old_snd2.pfs"
4. Place the new snd2.pfs into your [EverQuest directory]*
*The EverQuest directory is normally located at "C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest\" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\EverQuest\"

Lazortag 02-11-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
The link doesn't work, but I'm excited about this.

Wizard 02-11-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazortag (Post 221129)

Yea i just tried the link too and it is not working. I would love to see how this would work..

Xevin 02-11-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazortag (Post 221129)

Added two more mirrors. All three are working for me. Try it now.

CanadianTSi 02-11-2011 05:43 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about it...So used to the sound of getting hit etc that its just weird to hear something different.

Lazortag 02-11-2011 06:42 PM

The change-looting sound is kinda cool, but the being punched sound sounds pretty bad. It feels like there's some kind of static/distortion at the end.

edit: I'm starting to warm up to it actually.

Uterus 02-18-2011 04:49 AM

I think this should be stickied.

Lucia Moonglow 07-17-2011 12:10 PM

I'm not hearing any footstep sounds at all. Were these simply removed?

Xevin 07-20-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucia Moonglow (Post 337616)
I'm not hearing any footstep sounds at all. Were these simply removed?

MOBs and NPCs make sound for me. PCs don't though. Not sure why that is, but I don't recall ever hearing PC footsteps. NO sounds are missing from this update. If they are not playing, something client side is going on.

batkiller 04-26-2012 08:07 PM

This is cool thanks. I spent a lot of time in highkeep and the constant thunder was really getting on my nerves. With this the thunder doesn't even seem to play unless I go out in to high pass, and there I can hear it but it sounds much nicer. It sounds like rolling distant thunder.

Also I think the rain sound is better too? The melee sounds are good too, although as a caster I don't hear that much anyway.

I do miss the PC footsteps though, but I can live with that. Not sure what else is new, but I'll stick with it and see what else I discover and I will probably end up keeping this instead of the original.

Thanks again.