Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Green Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Languages (/forums/showthread.php?t=337104)

larper99 10-21-2019 11:03 AM

Languages

My memory of this is very hazy, but I seem to recall that languages was a real thing. PCs really did speak in other languages that you had to learn, and we would hold "language parties" at zone lines, constantly zoning after 5 skill points learned, or something like that.

Am I remembering correctly? And if so, will it be a thing again?

Deathrydar 10-21-2019 11:07 AM

This was only on the RP server, Firiona Vie.

Fammaden 10-21-2019 11:09 AM

Languages exist but they aren't at all mandatory or necessary, the only place I know of where they ever were was FV. Everyone just communicates in common. The language system is just for fun and flavor.

Gustoo 10-21-2019 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathrydar (Post 2992988)

correct.

Cool server.

Baler 10-21-2019 11:10 AM

Aw man I would LOVE if they made language active on Green.
Giving people a reason to learn languages rather than just for fun.

Deathrydar 10-21-2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustoo (Post 2992996)
correct.

Cool server.

It sure was!!!

larper99 10-21-2019 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathrydar (Post 2992988)

Makes sense. The only server I ever played on.

magusfire24 10-21-2019 11:21 AM

and when FV first came it , you were limited to one character per server and no drop items werent really a thing. Only a few items were if any. So everything could be traded.

larper99 10-21-2019 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magusfire24 (Post 2993016)
and when FV first came it , you were limited to one character per server and no drop items werent really a thing. Only a few items were if any. So everything could be traded.

Actually, not sure that FV was my first and only server. My memory of EQ is very hazy, and playing on Blue has helped recall some things. I do remember that, when EQ first came out, we had a very substandard computer and MODEM!, and EQ didn't run very well. But I do remember creating my first character, in Surefall, and everything was very dark, and very confusing. I gave up playing for a few months, then tried again when I got a new system. That is when I remember languages being a thing.

loramin 10-21-2019 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fammaden (Post 2992993)
Languages exist but they aren't at all mandatory or necessary, the only place I know of where they ever were was FV. Everyone just communicates in common. The language system is just for fun and flavor.

This! I'm not sure what the rest of y'all are talking about, because languages are totally a real thing on P99 too.

The difference with Firiona Vie was that they removed the Common Tongue. Since we have that tongue, there's very little reason to learn languages here: as Fammaden said, it's just for fun. For instance, if you learn Gnoll, you can read the Tesch Val Scrolls that drop from Splitpaw.

And also, I've done "language parties" here. I would do them while waiting for Shady Goblin or similar mobs to spawn, because you have a bunch of bored people sitting around :) But honestly I'd forgotten the part about having to zone after 5 skill ups, which explains my lack of skill ups after a point ...