Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Starting Zone (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Second start (/forums/showthread.php?t=299996)

Leiik 06-09-2018 09:56 AM

Second start

Hello,

I found out about p99 a few years ago and was pretty excited to play the same mmo I was playing back in high school. After I got everything set up I found out my wife and I were going to have a baby and I ended up not having the time to give eq a serious go.

Now I'm thinking it's time. I had a 48 iksar monk back in high school but I always thought that paladin elf sword looked awesome, ardent defender? Or something. Anyways it was my dream back then to get an epic and maybe that sword. Now that I'm starting fresh I was thinking of going for both.

Is the pally epic and ardent defender too hard for someone with a moderately modest neckbeard to get? And is a paladin even worth on p99? Or would it be best to go some other tank

Leiik 06-10-2018 01:34 AM

* nature's defender

Leiik 06-10-2018 08:19 AM

I decided to just make a paladin regardless... made a high elf and ran him to freeport for some feels. I remember the trip being way more scary as a level 1. The boat didn't disappoint compared to my memmory. Took a long time.

I found an old picture of myself playing eq back in the day. The screen was hard to see but you can tell it was everquest because the ui took up most of the screen. Maybe that's why it seemed more scary, that and I have my hand on the arrow keys. Ex keyboard turner here. I had a ball mouse instead of a laser anyways. If I remember when I get home I'll try and find that pic.

My name is Tryr. High elf paladin in West freeport

Mewse 06-10-2018 05:10 PM

There's not a lot of paladin's on the server, but they're probably the second best group tank in the game. And since nobody plays them, there's very little competition for most pally only raid items. Epic is also very doable, as far as epics go.

Welcome back to Norrath! Hope to see you around.

Swish2 06-10-2018 07:12 PM

Warriors will always be the raid tanks but SKs/pallies do well in groups. I was always a SK fan myself but either works, I just prefer SK mechanics :p

Paladin epic is very achievable for sure ^^

Leiik 06-11-2018 02:48 AM

I did some reading and creep'd around the forum. Both sk and paladin sound good to me playstyle wise. I enjoy grouping in dungeons. It would be nice to have a fear kite option and I remember thinking fd was my fav skill of all time when I was playing my monk. But since I think I'd like both in a group setting and for long term goal sk epic seems more out of reach

Jimjam 06-11-2018 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leiik (Post 2721691)
for long term goal sk epic seems more out of reach

Is that a good thing, though? It keeps you a strong long term goal to chase!

Leiik 06-13-2018 08:45 AM

Been grinding those bone chips :) Someone nice gave me a green jade broadsword and a few other items like iksar scale gaunts. Anyways what should I be trying to save for? filling my empty slots with bronze/banded and a set of 5/55 rings? or should I save for a better shield/sword?

As for long term goals :) how about I focus on paladin epic and if that happens I'll try for the sk one =P lol

DinoTriz 06-13-2018 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimjam (Post 2721694)
Is that a good thing, though? It keeps you a strong long term goal to chase!

This is my main motivation when I play my Necro.

I tend to give up playing a class when I feel like I've achieved everything on it.

I will probably never get my Necro epic, but that won't stop me from trying :D

Leiik 06-13-2018 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DinoTriz (Post 2722682)
This is my main motivation when I play my Necro.

I tend to give up playing a class when I feel like I've achieved everything on it.

I will probably never get my Necro epic, but that won't stop me from trying :D

Lol well I hope that I can get that point someday then I'll make a class harder to achieve epics and gear. Or I'll try red or something. Nature's defender and pally epic and hopefully a long friends list is what I am aiming for atm