Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Laptop as PC monitor/keyboard ? (/forums/showthread.php?t=327892)

Kulo 06-15-2019 12:15 PM

Laptop as PC monitor/keyboard ?

Hey guys , I got limited space to play atm. Is there anyway to hook up a laptop and use it strictly as a monitor / keyboard for my tower that would be underneath and out of the way ? ty

loramin 06-15-2019 12:26 PM

While I'm sure it's possible, you would likely have to get into your laptop's hardware to do it. AFAIK most laptops come with external display outputs and keyboard/mouse inputs ... but not the opposite.

You can get a great new monitor for $100-$200 now, and keyboards and mice are even cheaper, plus they'd undoubtedly give you a better experience. And if you're pressed for space you can always get a "numpad-less" keyboard like I have.

bomaroast 06-15-2019 02:41 PM

You're looking for some kind of streaming software. Run EQ on the main computer and stream the output over a network to a client computer. Steam's offerings are the go-to option from what I've seen.

Other options are remote control softwares: logmein, teamviewer, go to my pc, tightvnc, etc.. There is even one of these that claims to be for gaming, but it's not free and I can't remember the name.

And then there is software that lets you use a single keyboard/mouse for multiple computers. You'd need a monitor for the desktop though, or a combination of one of the above plus Synergy, which is the name of said software.

loramin 06-15-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomaroast (Post 2924555)
You're looking for some kind of streaming software. Run EQ on the main computer and stream the output over a network to a client computer. Steam's offerings are the go-to option from what I've seen.

Other options are remote control softwares: logmein, teamviewer, go to my pc, tightvnc, etc.. There is even one of these that claims to be for gaming, but it's not free and I can't remember the name.

And then there is software that lets you use a single keyboard/mouse for multiple computers. You'd need a monitor for the desktop though, or a combination of one of the above plus Synergy, which is the name of said software.

Oh, I hadn't even thought of doing it that way, good idea!

However, it will only work if you don't mind running two separate computers (the laptop can't just "be a keyboard/monitor" in that scenario, it has to be a fully running computer), and I would very much expect some lag (though depending on how you set things up it might not be an insurmountable amount).

mcoy 06-15-2019 06:28 PM

You could also use a USB KVM / console adapter. But, the price of a decent one is way more than a cheap monitor, keyboard, and mouse:

https://amzn.to/2FbN2ea

-Mcoy

bomaroast 06-17-2019 03:46 PM

Even at $350 that USB 2.0 KVM is going to be wretchedly slow. Cool find though. Those won't be half bad once they're on USB 4.0.

feniin 06-17-2019 03:57 PM

hook your PC up to the TV and play with a wireless keyboard/mouse ;)

Naethyn 06-17-2019 04:35 PM

https://symless.com/synergy

marty31636 06-25-2019 04:38 PM

Boy didn’t already answer this for you?!

Held 01-13-2022 06:48 AM

When I was looking for the right software, I looked at many options, but none of them suited me. Then I decided to contact the telemedicine app development company so that the result would suit me exactly. Still, when it comes to work and business, it is important that the software works without failures and problems, which cannot be guaranteed by ready-made software.