Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Rangers (/forums/showthread.php?t=71153)

CrowsNest 04-08-2012 07:57 AM

Rangers

Are rangers really that messed up classic/kunsrk maybe vel? Hear a lot of bad things about them...dps no good bow dmg crap and spells crappy. Wanted to make a ranger but seems to be nothing but a negative class. Is this true or just ranger haters lol. Want a melee toon but up in the air on pal sk ranger

Rooj 04-08-2012 08:54 AM

I love my ranger and I don't have the "can't get groups" problem people claim they have.

Negativefx83 04-08-2012 09:05 AM

Rangers are great - I just cant' stand the exp penalty =(

Paumad 04-08-2012 09:42 AM

Is it "are rangers worth it" thread time again?

CrowsNest 04-08-2012 10:15 AM

Not really just askin of there as bad as they sound

Negativefx83 04-08-2012 10:16 AM

Are they fun? Yes, in my opinion they are one of the most fun classes to play. I never had any grouping issues on my Ranger. If you play them well you will be always welcome in groups.

Muchew 04-08-2012 11:59 AM

I think its more of the comparison of what they become post-velious, they are horrible. Finally had a ranged dps that doesn't depend on mana/mob resist.

In classic though,they do fine dps and can pull well outdoors.

Corrodith 04-08-2012 12:08 PM

This thread pops up every week and I always say pretty much the same thing:

Things are terrible and not really fun at all until you get clicky haste cloak and badass gear. Even then your usefulness is fairly minimal unless you're a great all-around player. If you want to play a ranger casually as an alt then I think you'd be very stupid because it won't be that much fun.

Ephirith 04-08-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrodith (Post 614522)
This thread pops up every week and I always say pretty much the same thing:

Things are terrible and not really fun at all until you get clicky haste cloak and badass gear. Even then your usefulness is fairly minimal unless you're a great all-around player. If you want to play a ranger casually as an alt then I think you'd be very stupid because it won't be that much fun.

This is completely wrong. A properly geared ranger leveling up will out-dps everything but a fairly twinked rogue or similarly geared monk. And with that they will bring root parking, reliable agro, and decent tanking. I carry both a STR set and an ac/hp set for when I need to take hits, which is almost always because nobody plays a tank... but that's an issue for another thread.

It's easier to utilize your class to the best of its ability if you play a rogue or monk. They are both better dps later on. But it's profoundly fucking ignorant to say that makes rangers useless, or even undesirable, particularly when leveling.

But like he said, there's a ton of threads about this if you use the search function. I think the conclusion is that rangers have their flaws, but if properly played, can be an incredible contribution to a group. Just remember you have spells, and use them. There's too many rangers that never throw a downtime heal, or a root/snare. Such a waste.

Plus I find monks and rogues really boring.

Egil 04-08-2012 01:39 PM

see sig