Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Running EQ under LINUX (/forums/showthread.php?t=14125)

Branlail 11-30-2016 04:28 PM

Ok last post on this topic as I've more or less got it sorted out now with one exception.

The game is dark as hell. The in-game gamma slider doesn't seem to work. I've edited the gamma value in the ini but it won't seem to go above 20. Am I not understanding how that works? (using the .ini file given in the first post with the only change being my resolution.)

I am on a Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon with Wine 1.8.5.

dikafu 12-26-2016 08:05 AM

Problem: No text appearing.

I scrolled back about 6 pages and didn't see anyone else with this issue. Apologies if it's addressed on a page I haven't read.

Firstly, I copied a working installation from windows partition across to Elementary OS with a newly installed Wine. The program runs, but there is no text. I can get no further than the login screen.

I reinstalled Ubuntu (needed to anyway) and tried the same approach. I got the same problem.

Finally, I reinstalled from disk - patched to v43 and ... the same problem!

Anyone else had this issue?

wine is reporting `unsupported vertex format PIPE_FORMAT_B4G4R4A4_UNORM`. Is that a red herring?

dikafu 12-26-2016 08:14 AM

Default version of wine in Ubuntu repos is too old. I upgraded to latest and the text appears! https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

mgellan 01-25-2017 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branlail (Post 2413585)
Ok last post on this topic as I've more or less got it sorted out now with one exception.

The game is dark as hell. The in-game gamma slider doesn't seem to work. I've edited the gamma value in the ini but it won't seem to go above 20. Am I not understanding how that works? (using the .ini file given in the first post with the only change being my resolution.)

I am on a Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon with Wine 1.8.5.

I ran into the same issue a while back when I moved to Ubuntu 16.04, I use xrandr to set the gamma in the startup script. Those who want to change their gamma/brightness:

Use xrandr to list your outputs:

$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1024 x 768, maximum 8192 x 8192

DVI-0 connected 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 304mm x 228mm

In this example the output is DVI-0, so to change the brightness:

xrandr --output DVI-0 --brightness 2

To change the gamma:

xrandr --output DVI-0 --gamma 2:2:1

Regards,
Mg

dude 01-25-2017 11:05 AM

Some things that help playing under ubuntu that I forgot to mention.

Drop the bar to the bottom then hide it.
gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Launcher launcher-position Bottom

gsettings set org.compiz.unityshell:/org/compiz/profiles/unity/plugins/unityshell/ launcher-hide-mode 1

If you play on a 24" monitor its perfect.
to undo when your done playing if you need to.

gsettings set org.compiz.unityshell:/org/compiz/profiles/unity/plugins/unityshell/ launcher-hide-mode 0
and
gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Launcher launcher-position Left

akselk 03-06-2017 09:32 AM

Music on wine

Hey!

Thanks for the great guide.
Got everything up an working. If someone else experiences invisible character models this can be fixed in the eqclient.ini by setting vertexshaders = false.

Further, are anyone getting the music to work? I have all sound effects, but no music. Can this be because pulseaudio has troubles with the midi files?

malishious 03-08-2017 11:49 PM

I have Titanium installed and have modified the necessary files from the website and have removed the needed ones as well. I am just lost on how to make a link do run the game. I try to make an icon for the .bat file that would normally be used in Windows and with that I get an error and when trying to make an icon with the eqgame.exe I get an error message that says run Everquest.exe. What I am missing in order to get this to work please?

I am running the latest version of Zorin OS if it makes a difference.

Zaela 03-09-2017 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malishious (Post 2483346)
What I am missing in order to get this to work please?

Whatever you are using needs to invoke eqgame.exe with "patchme" as an argument following it, e.g.:

Code:

wine eqgame.exe patchme
The popup saying to run Everquest.exe happens because Everquest.exe is the patcher, and on live you would have normally always started EQ through the patcher. eqgame.exe is the real EQ client program, and when it sees "patchme" as an argument it behaves as though the patcher already ran.

pinedepain 03-09-2017 05:57 AM

[Keyboard layout problem]

Hello everyone,

thanks to this guide I manage to play Project1999 on wine (Lubuntu), thanks alot!

There is one main problem that remains. I'm having difficulties with the keyboard layout. I'm an AZERTY player. If I don't do anything when I fire up EQ through wine I have many dead keys, and one of the most important is the / (slash).

One fix I found is to switch my Lubuntu keyboard layout to QWERTY when launching EQ. This gives me the opportunity to play in EQ with the AZERTY layout (yes yes! AZERTY layout in EQ, QWERTY layout in Lubuntu) and have the / key available. However, some keys are not at the good place such as the 'm' and numbers 4, 6, 8 are dead keys, by that I mean that I cannot produce any number 4, 6, 8, which is quite problematic.

As a reference of my problem, while searching the forum I found two people having the same problem :
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=15100

I tried to download an AZERTY keyboard.txt version of EQ but it did not fix anything. If someone has a fix or an idea, I'd be glad to hear it.

The good side of this story is that I can play on Project1999 on my only and loving operating system almost perfectly even with this problem.
Thanks again to the developers and the community for this great work!

malishious 03-11-2017 02:39 PM

Follow Up

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaela (Post 2483356)
Whatever you are using needs to invoke eqgame.exe with "patchme" as an argument following it, e.g.:

Code:

wine eqgame.exe patchme
The popup saying to run Everquest.exe happens because Everquest.exe is the patcher, and on live you would have normally always started EQ through the patcher. eqgame.exe is the real EQ client program, and when it sees "patchme" as an argument it behaves as though the patcher already ran.

I have been able to get it to run the Everquest.exe and then it tries to patch but I stop it before it can connect. What settings do I need to change in order to follow the instructions that you have listed? I would appreciate any assistance you can give me. Thanks.

I added a screenshot of what I have tried so far.