Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Reset Device. Losing hope (/forums/showthread.php?t=369607)

beaon 10-14-2020 12:55 PM

Reset Device. Losing hope

Hi P99ers

I've been struggling with this reset device() issue on my new machine since last spring. I feel like I've spent months trying so many things to eliminate it.

In my troubleshooting I got things to what seemed like a stable running game about 99% of the time however recently I seem to have taken 3 steps back and am now crashing, routinely, in my favorite goto exp zone.

One thing unique is that I seem to crash in the same vicinity every time. If I am going to crash I kind of know where in the zone its going to happen, this is not always avoidable and certainly not preferred.

All the online troubleshooting talks about switching from full screen to windowed mode. That is not my case. I get this error just by simply playing.

Last night I hit a new low coming out of sky hoping to get a little exp. I died twice from two crashes and ended up with less XP than I had going in.

I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this? I am not sure what else I can do? It is very disappointing.

So far the biggest improvement has been running EQ in windeq2 but even still I crash at specific spots. Does anyone have any other advice?

Basic System Specs
AMD 3700x
32GB memory
RTX 2070 Super

I run in winEQ2. I have play nice turned off but am now experimenting with turning it on, it makes some things slow. I have CPU affinity set to a single core. I limit frames to 60fps. My monitor is 4k but I run EQ in wineq2 at 1080.

Let me know if there is anything else I can share. I am getting a bit desperate so any advice is appreciated.

mcoy 10-14-2020 02:40 PM

Looks like that CPU can boost to 4.4GHz. EQ doesn't like anything over 4.2 (iirc). Maybe try limiting your boost clock?

-Mcoy

beaon 10-14-2020 03:13 PM

Confirm that turning on eqplaynice in wineq2 does not help. What is interesting is I do crash in specific locations.

Ok looking into this cpu clock speed thing noted by mcoy.

beaon 10-14-2020 03:36 PM

@mcoy I have turned off my auto boost mode so now my CPU won't run past 3.6ghz. I ran past a spot that normally crashes me and it didn't. So if that ends up being a reliable fix I'll respond here.

So I guess so far so good but more testing needs to validate this.

beaon 10-14-2020 04:52 PM

Confirmed limiting my CPU to 3600mhz did not solve the problem.

I have also tried:
Disabling windows 10 UAC.
Updated drivers numerous times.

YendorLootmonkey 10-14-2020 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaon (Post 3193734)
Hi P99ers

I've been struggling with this reset device() issue on my new machine since last spring. I feel like I've spent months trying so many things to eliminate it.

In my troubleshooting I got things to what seemed like a stable running game about 99% of the time however recently I seem to have taken 3 steps back and am now crashing, routinely, in my favorite goto exp zone.

One thing unique is that I seem to crash in the same vicinity every time. If I am going to crash I kind of know where in the zone its going to happen, this is not always avoidable and certainly not preferred.

All the online troubleshooting talks about switching from full screen to windowed mode. That is not my case. I get this error just by simply playing.

Last night I hit a new low coming out of sky hoping to get a little exp. I died twice from two crashes and ended up with less XP than I had going in.

I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this? I am not sure what else I can do? It is very disappointing.

So far the biggest improvement has been running EQ in windeq2 but even still I crash at specific spots. Does anyone have any other advice?

Basic System Specs
AMD 3700x
32GB memory
RTX 2070 Super

I run in winEQ2. I have play nice turned off but am now experimenting with turning it on, it makes some things slow. I have CPU affinity set to a single core. I limit frames to 60fps. My monitor is 4k but I run EQ in wineq2 at 1080.

Let me know if there is anything else I can share. I am getting a bit desperate so any advice is appreciated.

Have you read/tried any of this:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=120438

beaon 10-14-2020 08:45 PM

I did read that. My problem isn't related to alt-tabbing or going in and out of windowed mode. It happens mid game, while game is in focus.

However I did see their notes about eqclient.ini settings. Mine do not match but I am not sure they should.

Here is what I have. Thoughts?

Quote:

[VideoMode]
WindowedWidth=1920
WindowedHeight=1080
Width=1920
Height=1080
FullscreenBitsPerPixel=32
FullscreenRefreshRate=0
WinEQWidth=1920
WinEQHeight=1080

zactical 10-14-2020 11:20 PM

This is happening to me as well. I have read everything I can find about it and mostly the discussion is around alt-tabbing or going in and out of fullscreen. My lockups happen mid playing, certain death when charming in HS.

Anecdotally wineq2 seems to help a bit, but it still happens. Very frustrating.

Tunabros 10-15-2020 02:51 AM

I had this same issue before
I reccomend using WIN EQ it's really easy to use but you have to make an account

It helped with all my problems and it forces p99 to be in windowed

Hope it helps
Cheers

Tunabros 10-15-2020 02:54 AM

Basically what you do is download it after creating an account and set your EQ directory to it
follow the prompts blah blah blah

Then click on WIN EQ and go to your everquest default profile and the rest should run like butter