Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   CBS mandates new Nancy Drew will be non-White (/forums/showthread.php?t=224790)

James_Joyce 01-12-2016 08:43 PM

CBS mandates new Nancy Drew will be non-White

CBS' Nancy Drew Will Be Diverse

I'd be lying if I said I didn't already know "diverse" was a codeword, but this was still pretty funny to see in the wild:

Quote:

"She is diverse, that is the way she is written," the executive told THR immediately following his time in front of the press at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour Tuesday. While Geller said it was too early in the process to explain just what he meant by diverse — whether Nancy is African-American, Asian-American or Latino, he said it would hinge on finding the right actress for the part. "[She will] not [be] Caucasian," he stressed. "I'd be open to any ethnicity."
How can a single individual be "diverse"? "Diversity" is supposed to describe a group of people. Unless "diverse" is just a code word for "non-White" instead of an encouragement to have Whites alongside browns...

PS: White is not an ethnicity. Lol!

captnamazing 01-12-2016 08:45 PM

from an RP standpoint it doesn't make sense for her to be white; we all know whites don't commit crimes, so for a detective heroine to be believable, she'd have to be "ethnic." if shes' a white girl the only thing she needs to detect is the nearest starbucks because there's nothing wrong happening

KagatobLuvsAnimu 01-12-2016 08:47 PM

Diversity quotas in fiction are such bullshit.

sOurDieSel 01-13-2016 02:11 AM

Race is different than Ethnicity. Nowadays diversity just means not White.

phacemeltar 01-13-2016 03:01 AM

its called reverse-racism and eddie griffith called it years ago.

maskedmelon 01-13-2016 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phacemeltar (Post 2163395)
its called reverse-racism and eddie griffith called it years ago.

Just plain racism works. I wonder what the NAAWP and WET tv personalities have to say about this.

Laugher 01-13-2016 11:17 AM

At first I thought you were talking about the new Nancy Grace being something other than white, which would be hilarious.

Filthy_Pagan 01-13-2016 11:32 AM

What the fuck is this world coming to? They're trying to start a war. First dorothy, then hermione, now nancy drew? What the fuck.

Someone make a movie about MLKjr or nelson mandela and cast tommy lee jones for the part. Lets see how the diverse people take it.

Any of you happen to catch this piece of shit when it aired? Bish, you aint in no damn kansas no mo!
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...9248391879.jpg

Filthy_Pagan 01-13-2016 12:12 PM

Alright, folks. I just got off the phone with some hollywood execs and we've got a revamp of roots in the works.

And get this. Toby is going to be played by none other than our beloved Gary Busey!

http://i.imgur.com/F6g2RTO.png