Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Strafe run (/forums/showthread.php?t=338899)

Razdeline 10-31-2019 12:38 PM

Strafe run

Just curious if any thought has gone into disabling strafe run?

After a quick search there’s been no discussion on it. Strafe run is something I wish I didn’t know and learned by playing on p99. (For those who don’t know, it allows you to move in such a way that prohibits mobs from hitting you while you’re being chased)

I feel it’s too powerful of a movement exploit. Obviously removing it wouldn’t be popular with pullers and kiters. What do people think?

Lulz Sect 10-31-2019 12:39 PM

move to resolved

Gustoo 10-31-2019 12:41 PM

It's classic I learned this at level 2 on a all starting points to wisdom rallos zek woodelf warrior in 1999

Baler 10-31-2019 12:41 PM

Nein

It's been in since launch. It's due to how movement is calculated. two directions at once causes faster movement.

Danger 10-31-2019 12:43 PM

shits classic.

move to resolved.

cd288 10-31-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razdeline (Post 3008543)
Just curious if any thought has gone into disabling strafe run?

After a quick search there’s been no discussion on it. Strafe run is something I wish I didn’t know and learned by playing on p99. (For those who don’t know, it allows you to move in such a way that prohibits mobs from hitting you while you’re being chased)

I feel it’s too powerful of a movement exploit. Obviously removing it wouldn’t be popular with pullers and kiters. What do people think?

Classic. It also doesn't 100% prevent a mob from hitting you, as I've been hit by mobs while strafe running before. It just seems to significantly reduce the chance. If you wish you didn't know about it, nothing is stopping you from not utilizing the classic mechanic and dying on your run from a mob. Enjoy!

Razdeline 10-31-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cd288 (Post 3008556)
Classic. It also doesn't 100% prevent a mob from hitting you, as I've been hit by mobs while strafe running before. It just seems to significantly reduce the chance. If you wish you didn't know about it, nothing is stopping you from not utilizing the classic mechanic and dying on your run from a mob. Enjoy!

I was anticipating this response from someone. I don’t have to use it sure, but the damage is already done by everyone else with this knowledge that currently use it. In a way I feel it disrupts the integrity of the game world.

Other than that, other things that were ‘classic’ here have been nerfed over the years due to being too powerful so I feel that argument wouldn’t align with the spirit of the project.

When running though, I do outpace mobs quickly. It isn’t as simple as a mob ‘sometimes not hitting you’- strafe running over a distance will create a sizable gap between you and that mob.

walfreyydo 10-31-2019 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cd288 (Post 3008556)

Those are mobs that are able to run faster than strafe running. Strafe running will outrun most mobs who have normal run speed, others such as cats, raptors or sowd mobs, will still be able to hit (catch) you.

Razdeline 10-31-2019 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walfreyydo (Post 3008574)
Those are mobs that have been SoW'd and are able to run faster than strafe running

Like wolfs, shadow men, fast mobs for example.

ChairmanMauzer 10-31-2019 12:56 PM

This was always in the game.

No offense, but if you don't like strafe run, then don't strafe run. I'm not sure how it affects you one iota if others do it.