Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Is this crashing bug ever getting fixed? (/forums/showthread.php?t=366774)

axisofebola 08-27-2020 04:33 PM

Is this crashing bug ever getting fixed?

Both the zoning crash and the character switchi crash... They have nothing to do withthe internet connection. It's purely a client crashing issue. Ata bare minimum could you guys at least flag anyone who is link dead with the same thing s using the /q command so they dont have to wait the ridiculously long timeout period?

mcoy 08-27-2020 05:52 PM

No OS version listed - check
No logs provided - check
No "steps I've attempted to resolve the issue" - check
No useful details on issue - check
Request a change that could be exploited by ne'er do wells - check

So, with what I've got to go on here all I can suggest is:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Tech_Su...ing_or_Camping

If that doesn't help try connecting from a hotspot or VPN because, despite your claim, this is often caused by a connectivity issue during the negotiation with the new zone / character select.

Otherwise, please don't rant in the Tech Support forum. There's one provided just for that sort of thing.

-Mcoy

axisofebola 08-27-2020 06:43 PM

I'm not going to use anything i shouldn't have to. No VPN, no eqwine, hotspot, etc. I'm using the internet connection I already pay for and im not using any other software.

It's not a connectivity issue because it would not crash the client. you'd get disconnected and either go back to server log in or account log in.

And I don't know how it could be exploited when /q already exists. Are you just arguing for arugments sake or you never really think about the things you say?

Kavious 08-27-2020 07:12 PM

Set the compatibility mode of eqgame.exe to Windows XP SP2 or SP3

The way I understand it is this is a multicore issue with the client. I'm not sure if setting it to Windows XP forces a single core or just changes how things are processed but it seems to fix a large amount of crashing/disconnecting problems

mcoy 08-27-2020 07:17 PM

Please provide more information about your configuration, what your issue is and what steps you've taken to attempt to address it. Are you using compatibility mode on eqgame.exe? That's the usual fix for seeing a client crash when camping. There's also a chance that it's related to whether you use windowed mode or not, and the resolutions both your desktop and eq client are set to.

The suggestion for a hotspot/vpn is to rule out a connectivity problem. I'm not suggesting it be used permanently. Many people suddenly start having issues because their ISP has a temporary routing issue. Connecting via a different method can rule this out and helps narrow down what the cause could be. That's what troubleshooting is - ruling out likely causes until the actual one is found.

-Mcoy

xaix1999 08-27-2020 11:12 PM

@Kavious sorry if this sounds rude. windows compatibility doesn't have anything to do with windows core affinity settings. if you wish to lock eq to a single core (which i would highly not recommend), you need to change the programs affinity to 1 core. if you have to use any core other than zero as your basic windows scheduler prefers zero for base windows kernel functionality. good way to make your system not responsive.

Mcoy is correct, zone crashing and character switching is your connection.

use a WiFi analyzer app on your Android and change the wifi channel on your router to something other than 6 (which is the default for 2.4ghz). move about your house to find the channel with the best rating or least amount of competing wifi ssid's. possibly change to "N" based wifi or higher speed rating (b->g->n->ac->ax). after "N" you will start using 5ghz band more.
unless you have satellite or dsl, chances are you are having a local connectivity issue.
if you have internet faster than 150mbps, "N" wifi might not be able to handle your network.

Albanwr 08-27-2020 11:15 PM

Set the compatibility mode of eqgame.exe to Windows XP SP2 or SP3

If you are not going to try it, then why make a thread.

xaix1999 08-27-2020 11:23 PM

not to mention isp's have a common practice of over selling their bandwidth with the all to well known connect clause of "up to (your speed here)". making it ok for your connection to be terrible at 2-3pm or 1-2am

Kavious 08-28-2020 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xaix1999 (Post 3175515)
@Kavious sorry if this sounds rude. windows compatibility doesn't have anything to do with windows core affinity settings. if you wish to lock eq to a single core (which i would highly not recommend), you need to change the programs affinity to 1 core. if you have to use any core other than zero as your basic windows scheduler prefers zero for base windows kernel functionality. good way to make your system not responsive.

Yeah, well, thats just, like, your opinion man

xaix1999 08-28-2020 12:05 AM

ok dude lol
but you should look up the difference