Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   EverQuest w/ a USB Xbox Controller (/forums/showthread.php?t=135778)

myxomatosii 01-17-2014 11:20 AM

EverQuest w/ a USB Xbox Controller

EDIT: Made a video of me playing with the layout, XPadder always on top so you can see what is going on on the controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeuM0...ature=youtu.be

Ok, so here is the idea. Remap function keys using XPadder so that the majority of game tasks can be done with the 24 basic functions of an Xbox controller (not counting diagonals as keys but if you did that's an extra 12 key) I'll post here to let you guys know what I map to where and how it goes.

If anyone else has done experiments with this or anything similar to this, post here.

Note: I don't expect to be able to type, and depending on how it goes I won't be including moving the mouse or clicking (altho I may) as that seems tedious, we'll see how it goes.

----------------------------------------------

THIS AREA RESERVED FOR CONTROLLER LAYOUT

LEFT JOYSTICK: Movement: WASD

Left Joystick Click: Left Click

RIGHT JOYSTICK: Currently unused

Right Joystick Click: Right Click

D-PAD: Mouse movement, not used a lot

A Key: Spacebar (Jump)

X Key: E (Auto-atk)

Y Key: 6 (Sit)

B Key: Esc (Untarget)

Select: ` (Auto-run)

Start: Z (Change camera)

Left Trigger: 1 (Taunt)

Right Trigger: 3 (Bash)

Left Button: Tab (Tab target)

Right Button: 2 (Kick)

Thulack 01-17-2014 11:23 AM

search around on forums. There was a post a few months back about using Xbox controller. Don't have time to search myself atm.

myxomatosii 01-17-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thulack (Post 1279071)
search around on forums. There was a post a few months back about using Xbox controller. Don't have time to search myself atm.

I will try my own method and then check it out. I don't wanna poison my approach with someone else's, after I fail/succeed I'll augment my ideas with theirs.

Lojik 01-17-2014 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myxomatosii (Post 1279069)
Ok, so here is the idea. Remap function keys using XPadder so that the majority of game tasks can be done with the 24 basic functions of an Xbox controller (not counting diagonals as keys but if you did that's an extra 12 key) I'll post here to let you guys know what I map to where and how it goes.

If anyone else has done experiments with this or anything similar to this, post here.

Note: I don't expect to be able to type, and depending on how it goes I won't be including moving the mouse or clicking (altho I may) as that seems tedious, we'll see how it goes.

THIS AREA RESERVED FOR CONTROLLER LAYOUT

I did this, and I found it quite effective for PvE stuff with the shaman. At first I had mouse control mapped, but it was simply too tedious as you said, and you can gain a few more keys to map by leaving out the mouse click. This might be obvious, but make sure you have CTRL, ALT, SHIFT all mapped ( I did this with the two left trigger buttons and I think either the select or start button, whichever you press with the left hand) as this leaves you with a bunch more commands you can map to the controller. Also make sure you have target nearest NPC/cycle nearest NPC mapped as you won't have to click to target, and I used CTRL + 1-6 to target self/groupmates...but you'll probably have to re-assign a fair amount of ingame hotkeys to make it work.

All in all I ended up having all basic movement mapped, jumping, viewup-down and centerview, target NPC/PC/Cycle, target groupmates, camera views+camera movement, and room for 36 easily accessible hotkeys (6x6.) Was pretty good for a monk too and didn't require many hotkeys at all since they don't get spells, but for kiting with the wizard it wasn't always great, as you can't quite start/stop on a dime like you can with a computer keyboard, at least I wasn't able to.

Kaleadar 01-17-2014 11:38 AM

While the Xbox controller is legit, would a PS3 controler not be better for compatibilty?

I have just heard that windows sees it w/o any extra drivers ect.

myxomatosii 01-17-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaleadar (Post 1279087)
While the Xbox controller is legit, would a PS3 controler not be better for compatibilty?

I have just heard that windows sees it w/o any extra drivers ect.

Mine gets picked up NP, esp by XPadder. With how many Steam games I have, and how many have built in compatibility. For some reason they always reference XBox controllers, however I assume PS3 would work just as well. I just have no experience.

Swish 01-17-2014 01:13 PM

Propo, a good chum of mine.... plays a 60 enchanter with an xbox 360 pad and does it really well.

If you can handle raiding on a 60 enchanter with a controller, that's awesome :)

Champion_Standing 01-17-2014 10:18 PM

Fuck a gamepad, I play EQ with my logitech g25. You haven't truly experienced Norrath until you have navigated it using a steering wheel and pedals.

Nocsucow 01-17-2014 10:28 PM

ive used my ps3 logitech before it works ok .... but still something to get use to and you still need to type ... good for warrior / monk classes that has no spells

drktmplr12 01-17-2014 10:32 PM

does the xbox keyboard that you plug into the controller work on PC?