Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Priests (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Shaman Root rotting - I feel like I'm being inefficient (/forums/showthread.php?t=327914)

tkelly5 06-15-2019 02:29 PM

Shaman Root rotting - I feel like I'm being inefficient

Hello. I have a 34 shaman, and I've been root rotting things for fun and profit and xp and all that. My normal routine is send Fido in, enstill, malo, disease, poison, then call off fido and hang out, refresh poison once or so, and maybe send fido back in for the last couple of %hp. I will normally cann a few times while sitting to try and get some mana back

I feel like I'm not being very efficient with this, and I'm not entirely sure why. I often find myself going through almost a full bar of mana in killing a single blue mob (even non-healers). Is root rotting just not terribly efficient just yet, or is there something else I should be doing?

Also, I find that Enstill has been breaking early and even getting resisted a lot...should I maybe do pet-malo-enstill instead?

Thanks!

PS am ogre with 139 wisdom

bomaroast 06-15-2019 02:32 PM

34 Shaman should be using a pet and slowing/tanking for the pet. Maybe toss in a dot or two. You'll want to ditch the caster gear and focus on ac/hp. Root rotting at that level for a shaman is more of a change-of-pace thing. It's not terribly efficient. Face tanking for the pet will always be more efficient than root rotting, but once you have an epic and torpor root rotting is doable.

Also, stop using enstill. Root all day every day. You don't waste mana from early breaks and early recasts.

Wallicker 06-15-2019 02:39 PM

Why aren’t shamans charm killing until atleast 40? With canni heals sow and charm animal i would have a field day

tkelly5 06-15-2019 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomaroast (Post 2924551)
34 Shaman should be using a pet and slowing/tanking for the pet. Maybe toss in a dot or two. You'll want to ditch the caster gear and focus on ac/hp. Root rotting at that level for a shaman is more of a change-of-pace thing. It's not terribly efficient. Face tanking for the pet will always be more efficient than root rotting, but once you have an epic and torpor root rotting is doable.

Also, stop using enstill. Root all day every day. You don't waste mana from early breaks and early recasts.

See, I was told the exact opposite and that I should stop slow tanking as soon as I got 34 and use enstill, so now I don't know who to believe.

tylidian 06-15-2019 06:42 PM

Definitely slow tank until JBB at 45. I just started root rotting instead of primarily JBB at 55.

tkelly5 06-15-2019 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylidian (Post 2924640)
Definitely slow tank until JBB at 45. I just started root rotting instead of primarily JBB at 55.

Alright. SHould I spend the money to get SCHW? I have a PWC to smack things with, but no haste item

tylidian 06-15-2019 08:12 PM

Yes. Just resell it when you hit 45 and get JBB.

bomaroast 06-15-2019 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkelly5 (Post 2924574)
See, I was told the exact opposite and that I should stop slow tanking as soon as I got 34 and use enstill, so now I don't know who to believe.

You should not listen to whoever told you that anymore.

NegaStoat 06-16-2019 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkelly5 (Post 2924548)
Hello. I have a 34 shaman, and I've been root rotting things for fun and profit and xp and all that. My normal routine is send Fido in, enstill, malo, disease, poison, then call off fido and hang out, refresh poison once or so, and maybe send fido back in for the last couple of %hp. I will normally cann a few times while sitting to try and get some mana back

Give this following strategy a try. It's what I used the moment I hit 34 on my Iksar shaman and let me stop using melee entirely from that point on with very good results. First, use the link below to help find some mobs that would con a low blue to you.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Mobs_By_Level

Next, get ahold of a clickie item like a shrunken skull earring as a preferred choice, or a spyglass if you're completely broke.

Now, line up your set of low blue targets that you can single pull and Haste your pet. Pull the first target with either Shock of the Tainted or Winter's Roar, depending on your specialization choice if it might help with the cast. Click your item to refresh your gems instantly and root your target as it takes its first few steps. Back up some, nuke a 2nd time, click your item, DoT, and send your pet in. Depending on your target's health, you may have to Nuke, Root, DoT, Nuke, send pet in.

The key with the target being a low blue is that your roots and spells will land as reliably as possible, and your goal is to set up your pet hitting your target after you've buttered it up with your spells doing about 40% of its health, leaving 60% left for your hasted pet and the DoT to finish off.

While the pet and DoT is doing their thing, you can be sitting for the remainder of the fight doing some Canni dancing while the target croaks. Your pet WILL get beat up. But it also recovers health damned fast during this level range.

Give it a try before you run out and buy a bunch of melee gear. I would, however, suggest getting your Wisdom up some more and/or getting more +mana gear if you use this method.

Jimjam 06-16-2019 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallicker (Post 2924554)
Why aren’t shamans charm killing until atleast 40? With canni heals sow and charm animal i would have a field day

My shaman is early 30s, I had success using invis to go to the low level wolf pit in permafrost, then pulling the large dire wolf to where I was going to fight and charming there. The mob is a level 24 spawn I think, making it the perfect pet. Really chewed through goblins good!

On live in my 30s I used a summoned pet, turned off taunt, grabbed mana regen buffs and aggro kited several lions at a time with dots just outside OT outpost.