Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Any Old Players Coming Back for Green Want to Help With Wiki History Page? (/forums/showthread.php?t=335026)

loramin 09-30-2019 11:51 AM

Any Old Players Coming Back for Green Want to Help With Wiki History Page?

I started this page a little while back http://wiki.project1999.com/Raid_History. The goal was to A) give new people starting out here a little context on the P99 raid scene (so that if someone says say "Class C" there's a place they can go to see what that meant), and B) "you have to know where you've been to know where you're going": my hope is that everyone being more educated about the raid scene's history can lead to higher quality discussions about it's future.

But once I started it, I realized ... I just don't know enough about the server's raid scene history (especially the earlier parts) to fill the page out. Anyone want to help (again, I'm particularly looking for someone who raided since the server's earliest days)?

To be clear this is NOT an RnF page! The goal is to write a nice, neutral, inoffensive, encyclopedia-like summary of the raid scene (for the reasons I listed). I understand the subject matter might encourage flaming, but please resist the urge!

Baler 09-30-2019 01:13 PM

Bump for a good cause.
If anyone has valid truthful information about the raid history on p99. Please reply with it or help contribute towards the wiki. Documenting the history of p99 is important. (reiterating whats already been said)

Oleris 09-30-2019 01:25 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/project1999...f_p99/drxq0e7/

Inglorious basterds led the scene right out the gate. Eventually another guild dark ascension was nipping at their heels but couldnt quite cut it. TMO used to be a guild that was barely raiding sky and then merged in with "dark ascension" and for some reason kept the tmo tag. (Dark ascension sounds way better imo) so they could fully compete with IG. which they merged with ???? They changed their name several times, one of them was furys edge? I think. Eventually they switched back to IB over some trickery. But maybe after a year of IB dominating kunark, tmo took over and dominated for the following 4 years? Completely cock blocking other guilds like bregan D'aerth, taken, divinity etc. Usually if tmo was out the way and there was a clear shot at a big target, IB would randomly Reappear and snipe the mob right out from us/them. Reminding us all that they were still very much in control. Lol. Bda ended up merging with VD which gave them hella numbers. Went from 20-30 max per raid up to 60-80 and started fighting back abit. But bda leadership wasnt about using any sort of dirty tactics to fight their competition so bda split in 2, and forceful entry was born. They competed against tmo the best they could but dont think they had much more success than bda did. If anything, instead of beating tmo to targets, they ended up screwing bda out of the scraps. Eventually I think they merged in with IB. Times were rough and dark. This went on for years. The year before velious release other smaller guilds started picking up steam as tmo was dying out. Taken, csg, divinity etc. All started getting stuff. at that point VP was more bda, taken, csg than IB or Tmo. But IB had some shit stirring, did some merging, new leaders, officers etc and formed Rampage right before velious. On release they were on a whole 'nother level. Luckily they were deadset on ntov, sleepers, statue/aow/kt etc. That all the upcoming under guilds were finally getting shit. After all the dark days of kunark, everyone was getting loot. I dont remember what tmos name was at the time but I do remember them struggling hard. They were so busy trying to compete with rampage that the rest of us cleaned up all the other targets and were loving Eq. Eventually tmo started getting their shit together and all the fun started to dwindle. After 7-8 months of total domination of velious rampage called it quits. But not before waking the sleeper and bouncing out in style. Afterwards taken merged with the remaining rampage to make awakening, tmo merged with asgard? And another guild? Cant remember. They struggled the first 6-8 months in velious but eventually got it fully together and birthed aftermath. Bda actually scored a handful of rampage bigwigs and for acouple months were trying to break into ntov stuff and did have alittle success but randomly the leader and 3/4ths the guild up and left the server all together. Which completely left the end game firmly in the hands of a/a. History repeating itself. Ib/tmo still dominates, just different names but strip it down and the same 2 guilds have run the end game since 2010. Nowadays csg cleans up the scraps and capitalizes big time everytime a/a gets banned as theyre fully capable of taking any target but other than that A/A still dominates. Is what it is. They deserve the best loot/targets as they put in twice the effort and yeah. Thats how ive viewed the end game within the server. I was in bda til death then part of csg before i quit and yet never had 1 issue with any particular tmo/ib member throughout 7 years. Kunark times were frustrating but that's what made it fun. Always being apart of underdog guilds made it so satisfying to finally get to kill some big targets, instead of a daily/weekly thing.

Nlaar 09-30-2019 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oleris (Post 2972275)
https://www.reddit.com/r/project1999...f_p99/drxq0e7/

Inglorious basterds led the scene right out the gate. Eventually another guild dark ascension was nipping at their heels but couldnt quite cut it. TMO used to be a guild that was barely raiding sky and then merged in with "dark ascension" and for some reason kept the tmo tag. (Dark ascension sounds way better imo) so they could fully compete with IG. which they merged with ???? They changed their name several times, one of them was furys edge? I think. Eventually they switched back to IB over some trickery. But maybe after a year of IB dominating kunark, tmo took over and dominated for the following 4 years? Completely cock blocking other guilds like bregan D'aerth, taken, divinity etc. Usually if tmo was out the way and there was a clear shot at a big target, IB would randomly Reappear and snipe the mob right out from us/them. Reminding us all that they were still very much in control. Lol. Bda ended up merging with VD which gave them hella numbers. Went from 20-30 max per raid up to 60-80 and started fighting back abit. But bda leadership wasnt about using any sort of dirty tactics to fight their competition so bda split in 2, and forceful entry was born. They competed against tmo the best they could but dont think they had much more success than bda did. If anything, instead of beating tmo to targets, they ended up screwing bda out of the scraps. Eventually I think they merged in with IB. Times were rough and dark. This went on for years. The year before velious release other smaller guilds started picking up steam as tmo was dying out. Taken, csg, divinity etc. All started getting stuff. at that point VP was more bda, taken, csg than IB or Tmo. But IB had some shit stirring, did some merging, new leaders, officers etc and formed Rampage right before velious. On release they were on a whole 'nother level. Luckily they were deadset on ntov, sleepers, statue/aow/kt etc. That all the upcoming under guilds were finally getting shit. After all the dark days of kunark, everyone was getting loot. I dont remember what tmos name was at the time but I do remember them struggling hard. They were so busy trying to compete with rampage that the rest of us cleaned up all the other targets and were loving Eq. Eventually tmo started getting their shit together and all the fun started to dwindle. After 7-8 months of total domination of velious rampage called it quits. But not before waking the sleeper and bouncing out in style. Afterwards taken merged with the remaining rampage to make awakening, tmo merged with asgard? And another guild? Cant remember. They struggled the first 6-8 months in velious but eventually got it fully together and birthed aftermath. Bda actually scored a handful of rampage bigwigs and for acouple months were trying to break into ntov stuff and did have alittle success but randomly the leader and 3/4ths the guild up and left the server all together. Which completely left the end game firmly in the hands of a/a. History repeating itself. Ib/tmo still dominates, just different names but strip it down and the same 2 guilds have run the end game since 2010. Nowadays csg cleans up the scraps and capitalizes big time everytime a/a gets banned as theyre fully capable of taking any target but other than that A/A still dominates. Is what it is. They deserve the best loot/targets as they put in twice the effort and yeah. Thats how ive viewed the end game within the server. I was in bda til death then part of csg before i quit and yet never had 1 issue with any particular tmo/ib member throughout 7 years. Kunark times were frustrating but that's what made it fun. Always being apart of underdog guilds made it so satisfying to finally get to kill some big targets, instead of a daily/weekly thing.

Some minor edits / fills for pre-Velious raiding:

The raid scene was originally dominated by Inglorious Basterds, whose membership ranks included a P99 developer (cue: drama and accusations). Dark Ascension (formerly Fish Bait) started to challenge Inglorious Basterds in the raid scene.

During this time, attempting CT was particularly interesting as both guilds would be forced to simultaneously clear the zone while monitoring the rate at which the other guild cleared. Eventually, a raid leader would make the judgement call that enough had been cleared and an attempt on CT was made.

New/random raid rules were created such as 15 non-AFK players on a spawn guaranteed you the spawn. For example, both guilds would have players sitting in Fear waiting for Draco to spawn. Eventually this raid rule was removed and replaced with ___________? [Author's note: I remember guilds camped along north wall calling out AFK checks to ensure other guild's players wen't AFK in Fear]

In these early classic days, if a guild was doing a non raid-mob planar clear, usually no other guild would zone in to compete (exception: IB and DA). However, this started to change when TMO entered the raid scene late in classic and armor mobs became contested in regular planar clears among casual guilds. [Author's note: I remember TMO zoning in after my guild had cleared / "broke into" West Wall camp in Fear and TMO immediately went for the armor mobs (Harpies). This led to several accusations/jokes about TMO being unable to break Fear by themselves which ultimately led to the expression "TMO Break Fear Yet?" which was further immortalized by the use of tags on P99 Forum Posts - or maybe it was a tag first?]

I don't believe IB dominated Kunark for the first 4 years because... during relatively-early Kunark (Fall 2011), Inglorioius Basterds was struggling with attendance and TMO was winning a majority of raid mob races. IB teamed up with the more casual guild Vesica Dei and for awhile were able to successfully compete against TMO. Eventually, TMO gained access to VD guild website and posted RL pictures of the VD guild leader on P99, prompting her to quit P99. This act, combined with IB momentarily leaving for EQMac and other raid shenanigans [Author's note: I believe one of the GMs favored TMO because she was dating one of their members and/or TMO members purchased baked cookies from her], led to VD disbanding and remaining members joining BDA. Having received an influx of raiders, BDA initially attempted to compete with TMO but rarely won. Eventually a group of BDA members left to compete more aggressively and created the guild Forceful Entry (and other casual members left to create Omni). TMO dominated Kunark raid mobs for years.

Late in the Kunark era, P99 staff introduced a variation on raid rotations through a class system. A guild could be labeled "competitive" or "restricted" (Class C and Class R respectively), and a raid mob would cycle between being available only to Class C guilds, only class R guilds, or Free-for-all (FFA). Among the casual guilds (Class R), an initial rotation was created so that all casual guilds would have attempts at raid mobs. However, after awhile, some of the larger casual guilds thought it unfair that smaller casual guilds were teaming up when their turn came about in the rotation because they had an insufficient number of raiders for the targets (this led to situations where, for example, three smaller guilds would consistently team-up and thus receive 3 "spots" in a raid mob's rotation whereas one guild of equivalent player size would still be restricted to their 1 spot). After negotiations failed, the rotation was ended and the larger guilds (BDA, Taken, Divinity) won a majority of class R raid targets. The class system was removed with the launch of Velious.

loramin 09-30-2019 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nlaar (Post 2972523)
Some minor edits / fills for pre-Velious raiding:

The raid scene was originally dominated by Inglorious Basterds, whose membership ranks included a P99 developer (cue: drama and accusations). Dark Ascension (formerly Fish Bait) started to challenge Inglorious Basterds in the raid scene.

During this time, attempting CT was particularly interesting as both guilds would be forced to simultaneously clear the zone while monitoring the rate at which the other guild cleared. Eventually, a raid leader would make the judgement call that enough had been cleared and an attempt on CT was made.

New/random raid rules were created such as 15 non-AFK players on a spawn guaranteed you the spawn. For example, both guilds would have players sitting in Fear waiting for Draco to spawn. Eventually this raid rule was removed and replaced with ___________? [Author's note: I remember guilds camped along north wall calling out AFK checks to ensure other guild's players wen't AFK in Fear]

In these early classic days, if a guild was doing a non raid-mob planar clear, usually no other guild would zone in to compete (exception: IB and DA). However, this started to change when TMO entered the raid scene late in classic and armor mobs became contested in regular planar clears among casual guilds. [Author's note: I remember TMO zoning in after my guild had cleared / "broke into" West Wall camp in Fear and TMO immediately went for the armor mobs (Harpies). This led to several accusations/jokes about TMO being unable to break Fear by themselves which ultimately led to the expression "TMO Break Fear Yet?" which was further immortalized by the use of tags on P99 Forum Posts - or maybe it was a tag first?]

I don't believe IB dominated Kunark for the first 4 years because... during relatively-early Kunark (Fall 2011), Inglorioius Basterds was struggling with attendance and TMO was winning a majority of raid mob races. IB teamed up with the more casual guild Vesica Dei and for awhile were able to successfully compete against TMO. Eventually, TMO gained access to VD guild website and posted RL pictures of the VD guild leader on P99, prompting her to quit P99. This act, combined with IB momentarily leaving for EQMac and other raid shenanigans [Author's note: I believe one of the GMs favored TMO because she was dating one of their members and/or TMO members purchased baked cookies from her], led to VD disbanding and remaining members joining BDA. Having received an influx of raiders, BDA initially attempted to compete with TMO but rarely won. Eventually a group of BDA members left to compete more aggressively and created the guild Forceful Entry (and other casual members left to create Omni). TMO dominated Kunark raid mobs for years.

Late in the Kunark era, P99 staff introduced a variation on raid rotations through a class system. A guild could be labeled "competitive" or "restricted" (Class C and Class R respectively), and a raid mob would cycle between being available only to Class C guilds, only class R guilds, or Free-for-all (FFA). Among the casual guilds (Class R), an initial rotation was created so that all casual guilds would have attempts at raid mobs. However, after awhile, some of the larger casual guilds thought it unfair that smaller casual guilds were teaming up when their turn came about in the rotation because they had an insufficient number of raiders for the targets (this led to situations where, for example, three smaller guilds would consistently team-up and thus receive 3 "spots" in a raid mob's rotation whereas one guild of equivalent player size would still be restricted to their 1 spot). After negotiations failed, the rotation was ended and the larger guilds (BDA, Taken, Divinity) won a majority of class R raid targets. The class system was removed with the launch of Velious.

That seems a heck of a lot better than the current page! Anyone want to expand on any sections, add anything, correct anything, etc?

Once the forum stops chiming in I'll happily "wikify" (add headers, links, etc.) whatever we have.

P.S. Oleris thanks for your's too, but ... paragraphs help make stuff more readable :)

Molitoth 10-01-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Inglorious basterds led the scene right out the gate. Eventually another guild dark ascension was nipping at their heels but couldnt quite cut it.
While IB leading the raid scene out the gate is true, I would say DA was a bit more dominate during the 4-6 months leading up to Kunark.

Dark Ascension was a merger between Fish Bait/Eminence and maybe another guild I'm forgetting. (PS: Eminence was awesome)

At the Kunark launch, DA's leader "Durison" got banned (insert reason here), and the guild merged with an up and coming raid guild "Dozekar" to create "Fusion".

This didn't last long as the DA membership didn't really take to Dozekar leadership very well (if I remember correctly... because I quit at this point).

Another note: I'm pretty sure "TMO" was a guild during the classic era, but could not compete with IB/DA at the time.

Bbeta 10-01-2019 03:06 PM

IB struggled during amalinda Era kunark. They did not dominate for the first 4 years lol. They were pretty much outta the picture before epic release.

JDFriend99 10-03-2019 04:18 PM

Was fun while fun was had. Green or redux 3 I'll pass on. Wish you 5he best loramin as you have always been true bro.

Danth 10-03-2019 04:46 PM

My recollection is that IB as an entity had what might be thought of as a short attention span. They'd come in, play hard and win for awhile, get bored and go do other stuff, then come back and the cycle would start over. This of course does not count the individual players who simply swapped around between whatever guild was "winning" at any given time, which was (and remains) a fair portion of the high-end community on P99.

When TMO first got going I remember it mass-inviting anyone it could in an effort to build its roster up. Forsaken used the same strategy later on. In both cases it seemed effective.

It'd be neat if P99 had an EVE-style corporate history for players.

Danth

Baler 10-03-2019 06:19 PM

:o what was the history of FAT and that time period on p99?