Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Bugs (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Miscellaneous: Forum auto correct issue (/forums/showthread.php?t=413796)

Jimjam 01-18-2023 07:56 AM

Forum auto correct issue

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimjam (Post 3558805)
I did s****** surreptitiously though.

So a word meaning to laugh in a suppressed maybe slightly derisive way is getting auto censored on account of the arrangement of the last few letters.

I believe there is a yank version this word spelt differently, but with broadly similar meaning - "snicker"

I can understand why the staff may not want to whitelist the word s******. Perhaps it is worth altering the auto mod to change the word s****** to snicker whenever it is posted?

loramin 01-18-2023 11:49 AM

Let's be real: do we actually need yet another simile for the word "snicker" ... one that's all but identical to a highly offensive slang term for black people (just with an "s" in front)?

Languages change. English already has chortle, chuckle, giggle, laugh, smirk, sneer, guffaw, hee-haw, knock, mock, titter, and more. If we lose ... that word ... I don't think we'll miss it.

In fact, if we all just pretend your offensive-sounding British word doesn't exist, and go about our forum lives, I think everyone will be better for it ;)

P.S. American cultural imperialism for the win!

https://i.gifer.com/1g2.gif

Encroaching Death 01-18-2023 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 3558863)
Let's be real: do we actually need yet another simile for the word "snicker" ... one that's all but identical to a highly offensive slang term for black people (just with an "s" in front)?

Languages change. English already has chortle, chuckle, giggle, laugh, smirk, sneer, guffaw, hee-haw, knock, mock, titter, and more. If we lose ... that word ... I don't think we'll miss it.

In fact, if we all just pretend your offensive-sounding British word doesn't exist, and go about our forum lives, I think everyone will be better for it ;)

P.S. American cultural imperialism for the win!

I think you're being quite *****rdly. He has a point.

Edit: hey WTF!

Try censoring this:

https://i.ibb.co/0Xk64GG/evewwewe.jpg