Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Math process error (/forums/showthread.php?t=427996)

aussenseiter 02-02-2024 10:19 PM

Math process error

I am looking for the name of the mathematical fallacy being committed here. I saw it on Twitter.

Please note that this is not an invitation to post any of the usual racist horseshit shutup.

On to Oz:

https://i.imgur.com/YWvELCr.png

I have this little inkling of a thought(I'm not that bright, OK?) that comparing the rate of criminality among natives vs the absolute native population is fine, but comparing the rate of criminality among foreigners vs the absolute native population is...I want to call it a rump equation. It's not a cogent math problem to solve. It just tells you the population is much bigger. :confused:

Please note that in the above "vs" does not mean committed against. See second sentence.

Nibblewitz 02-02-2024 10:48 PM

Rate of crime per 100,000 individuals is calculated by taking the total of a groups’s instances of crime divided by the population of the group, then the fractions are normalized to have a denominator of 100,000.

The population of natives and legal immigrants can be measured using census data. How do they count the total number of undocumented immigrants?

aussenseiter 02-02-2024 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nibblewitz (Post 3672678)
Rate of crime per 100,000 individuals is calculated by taking the total of a groups’s instances of crime divided by the population of the group, then the fractions are normalized to have a denominator of 100,000.

The population of natives and legal immigrants can be measured using census data. How do they count the total number of undocumented immigrants?

I think they're counting undocumented crimes *vs the whole population to deflate the number of the crime rate, as opposed to comparing it internally.

Is it illogical to think of it that way or the inverse?

Nibblewitz 02-02-2024 11:10 PM

If they are simply dividing the number of a group’s convictions to the entire population, then they aren’t measuring crime rates of these groups but rather an adulterated measure of absolute crime.

All these data suggest is that less undocumented immigrants were convicted than citizens. I am still wondering how they can divide by a population that they can’t fully count.

aussenseiter 02-02-2024 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nibblewitz (Post 3672680)
If they are simply dividing the number of a group’s convictions to the entire population, then they aren’t measuring crime rates of these groups but rather an adulterated measure of absolute crime.

All these data suggest is that less undocumented immigrants were convicted than citizens. I am still wondering how they can divide by a population that they can’t fully count.

I think comparing native crime vs total population against immigrant crime vs total population has the apparent effect of lowering the crime 'rate' of the latter. Because the latter is smaller.

That's as far as my grey matter goes for now. Do go on with your census schpiel. :o

Lune 02-02-2024 11:50 PM

I think the math is wrong in that the yellow bar should be 100,000/100,000 as 100% of that cohort has committed a crime by virtue of having illegally entered the country

Also that little light blue bar tells us something about the merits of legal immigration

aussenseiter 02-03-2024 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lune (Post 3672682)
I think the math is wrong in that the yellow bar should be 100,000/100,000 as 100% of that cohort has committed a crime by virtue of having illegally entered the country

Also that little light blue bar tells us something about the merits of legal immigration

Lol

But that's an even smaller group being compared against the whole population including natives.

I do not like this math invention you sinners cooked up.

Patriam1066 02-03-2024 12:52 AM

You’ve never understood per capita for some reason

/shrug

aussenseiter 02-03-2024 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patriam1066 (Post 3672686)
You’ve never understood per capita for some reason

/shrug

I do understand per capita. But is it appropriate to compare immigrant criminality to the whole country's population?

Still looking for my fallacy.

Ciderpress 02-03-2024 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nibblewitz (Post 3672680)
I am still wondering how they can divide by a population that they can’t fully count.

Ding ding.

Luckily, I think most people tend to realize how insane this all is once they think about it for more than 2 seconds.