Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Melee (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Baby ranger - fun hunting ideas? (/forums/showthread.php?t=423329)

Troxx 09-04-2023 09:04 PM

Baby ranger - fun hunting ideas?

I’m out of productive things to do on my current characters. They’re all 60 and either xp capped or with a buffer way more than needed. I’ve played every class on p99 other than Ranger, rogue, SK, ench, and wiz.

My first ever character was a Ranger and I played him aggressively until planes of power. It was a hoot. I’m looking for a trip down memory lane. I plan on staying in the old world. An 8k starter fund got me cheap haste, an ikky regen bp, 2 6/65 rings and a smattering of 20-300p gear to fill my slots along with some hand-me-downs sitting in bank spots like a 30/35 2hs. Currently a badass level 5 in gfay.

Leveling fast is not my goal. I have a mental list of my old haunts from eons ago. Suggestions on some really off the beaten path locations? I plan on being self sufficient and will likely have to solo but will be happy to pair up with anyone I find along the way if they’re in the area I’m passing through.

I want to experience the ‘less experienced’ areas of old world Norrath and to do so in a wandering fashion (ie not sitting in the same spot until I put level it). I would like to taste a little bit of it all.

So … knowing the above if you were going to do a tour of the old world (odus/antonica/faydwer) trying to hit a little bit of everything and try to visit most zones … what path would YOU take?

(Next project is either SK or enchanter)

wittles 09-04-2023 10:02 PM

When you get in to your 20's, slaughter Najena and Runny Eye. I love those zones so much. Sol A too. Permafrost is another great place to explore and level.

Cecily 09-05-2023 02:42 AM

Wander, hit track, and kill anything blue.

Jimjam 09-05-2023 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecily (Post 3641997)
Wander, hit track, and kill anything blue.

That is how my ranger completed 45. Port to tox, head to freeport knocking off anything blue or xp green and repeat. Go the south route, obviously.

Keebz 09-05-2023 06:30 AM

I've never really done stonebrunt, so I'd probably check that out.

Infectious 09-05-2023 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keebz (Post 3642019)
I've never really done stonebrunt, so I'd probably check that out.

I did stoneburnt on my monk because I never did the zone before... Exp is absolutely horrible.

Snaggles 09-05-2023 08:54 AM

I’d get a fleeting quiver eventually and some type of velium bow for rot efficiency. Find nearby vendors who sell arrows and carry a lot. Eventually can use a tolan bracer.

Fear kiting as a ranger is very fun and efficient. If I was doing it again mainly as an adventure and training course I would probably do a bunch of outdoor zones. Crushbone, mistmoore, unrest, NK (fearing griffins) or iceclad cougars/drakkel wolves in GD. Maybe finish off dreadlands and into Karnors or geos. Anywhere you can harmony, snare, and remain sowed is awesome.

Toxigen 09-05-2023 09:37 AM

Just save yourself the frustration and start your enchanter instead.

Troxx 09-05-2023 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toxigen (Post 3642042)
Just save yourself the frustration and start your enchanter instead.

Hehe I will eventually and when I do I won’t be looking to accomplish the same thing.

This isn’t a speed leveling situation or one where I expect something more from the class than I expect of it. It’s just an opportunity to have some laid back fun and wander aimlessly.

loramin 09-05-2023 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infectious (Post 3642024)
I did stoneburnt on my monk because I never did the zone before... Exp is absolutely horrible.

Eh, at 45 or so I found it was one of the only places I could solo my ranger. Tons of animals to fear kite > slightly lower ZEM.