Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   TBC Classic (/forums/showthread.php?t=384990)

Lune 05-18-2021 04:08 PM

TBC Classic

Anyone playing this?

I barely played WoW classic, like, some of phase 1 and didn't even make it to 60. Meta was too toxic and it hardly felt like classic with virtually everyone rolling a mage and boosting their way through dungeons. From what I read about the world buff meta, etc, it only got worse from there.

However I have a lot of time on my hands right now until mid-June ish and I can't find anything to play. Thinking about leveling a druid or an elf or something and reliving some of my nostalgia. TBC was my favorite era.

Can't decide what class to play and can't find a great breakdown of how each spec performs in TBC other than in the form of stupid youtube videos.

starkind 05-18-2021 04:11 PM

Shadowlands is good enough for me if i want to derp around with wow.

Gonna be doin mischief/thornblade probably, tbc/wotlk were too grindy for me

thinking tbc will be a no go for me especially also with d2 reloaded or whatever

Byue 05-18-2021 04:24 PM

yeah I have a human priest with the two possible tigers, full bis T2 but I stopped there.
I will play TBC with you and heal you my man.
If you can tank, we will get geared very fast.
I am quite good.

Also, Lune, I can provide you with some info about class and specs but basically, in TBC, especially early on, almost all specs are viable although none are very good until a few patches later. But like, all the things you enver seen in classic were now allowed in TBC" shadow priests as viable, druid tank, boomkin, arcane mage, etc.

Mblake1981 05-18-2021 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byue (Post 3308282)
yeah I have a human priest with the two possible tigers, full bis T2 but I stopped there.
I will play TBC with you and heal you my man.
If you can tank, we will get geared very fast.
I am quite good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mblake1981 (Post 3304588)

Nocht 05-18-2021 04:35 PM

Eagerly awaiting the launch. I bought into classic with hopes of a TBC classic and can't believe the day is almost here! Also hoping some of my old guildies that I've lost contact with creep back for a bit. Getting to experience the pre patch events will be nice too considering last time I was stuck working during them. I want to raid like the old days and be the warlock tank for Leo and Illidan again!

Destro lock and Resto shaman ready for mayhem!!

Byue 05-18-2021 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocht (Post 3308290)
Eagerly awaiting the launch. I bought into classic with hopes of a TBC classic and can't believe the day is almost here! Also hoping some of my old guildies that I've lost contact with creep back for a bit. Getting to experience the pre patch events will be nice too considering last time I was stuck working during them.

Destro lock and Resto shaman ready for mayhem!!

Alli?
Because we'll be able to do cross server shit again :)

Nocht 05-18-2021 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byue (Post 3308291)
Alli?
Because we'll be able to do cross server shit again :)

I'm on horde, I started alliance side when I first got into wow but my EQ buddies made me switch back in the day lol. Best friend was a Troll SK and the idea of playing a good character never sat well with him. He ended up being a tauren and I rolled undead.

Byue 05-18-2021 04:46 PM

eh.
when wow classic rolled around my roomie wanted to be a gnome and was big on the horde sux (yet wanted to pvp) so we went alliance on a 80-20 horde to alliance ratio and he realized I was right but it's too late now.
If other are also horde, I'll pay for a race change even though human priest is siiiiick.
(because horde undead priests are also very competitive)

Tunabros 05-18-2021 04:54 PM

i want to try it out but I never played on classic wow

not sure if I can just hop in to play

might make a warlok

Toxigen 05-18-2021 04:55 PM

I've been thinking about it. I was in a top 30 world guild in BC and played a lot on a BC private server for a few years.

If you're serious about raiding you will be required to go Leatherworking for party haste drums. 30s haste buff, 2 minute cooldown, 4 people can keep a group of 5 hasted and the 5th guy uses resto drums. The consumables requirements are way way less than Naxx though.

As far as what to play...I can give you a quick rundown:

All tanks are good and all will really shine on different encounters. Prot pallies are the aoe aggro kings, bear tanks have great avoidance, and prot wars are probably the best all-around. Only downside with a warrior is you're stuck doing melee dps if you decide tanking isn't for you.

Healing can be stated very simply: if you don't have 4 resto shaman in your 25 man raids, you're probably not clearing Sunwell pre-nerf. Chain heal is simply the strongest healing ability in the game for the entirety of TBC. All a resto shaman has to do is keep their totems up and decide if they're going to use CH Rank 1, Rank 2, or Rank 3. Sprinkle a holy pally or 2 in there and thats all you need. Priest was ok, amazing as disc in Rogue - Mage - Priest 3v3 arena. Resto druid was meh in pve.

Resto druid is the king of arena healing, especially in 2v2 which was immensely popular in S2 and S3. They are the best choice for warrior, hunter, and lock in 2s.

Caster DPS:
Lock and mage are pretty close dps wise and are far and away the only two choices if you want to be the king of the meter.

Boomkin is decent. They bring some utility. Bad guilds bring druids in general so they can brez their dead weight.

Ele shaman is meh. Insane burst but they were never competing for relevant dps. Totem of wrath doesn't make up the difference between simply having another lock. Its a PVP spec unless you're just casual PvE

Shadowpriests are god tier. They don't do the same dps as your locks and mages, but the amount of group healing through vampiric embrace and group mana restore via vampiric touch is incredible. In a 25 man raid, you're bringing 3 unless your guild is super stacked with melee. There is a big gap between the mediocre shadowpriests and the guys that eek out every last ounce of efficiency in their rotations. If you don't like paying attention to DoT timers, don't even bother.

Hunter does OK - we always brought 1 for the utility and sometimes had 2-3, they were very good on a few fights that had a lot of running around or when tanks needed misdirect (vashj, kaelthas, m'uru, etc).

I don't know a ton about melee dps but rogues and warriors were always up near the locks and mages if they have an enhancement shaman. Enhancement shaman are amazing...the improved totems and unleashed rage made every tank / melee group want one badly. Ret pally was pretty terrible pve...nasty in pvp though.

All that said. If you're just going to play casually just look at TBC videos and try to make a pick based on what you think looks cool. Only raiding guilds are going to care about min/maxing.

Ah, good times. 4 resto shaman, 3 hunters, 3 s-priests, 3 mages, 3 locks, 2 prot wars, 2 rogues, 2 holy paladins, 1 prot pally (had to use one to pick up the big void adds), 1 fury war, 1 enh shaman.