Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Can I have different key mappings for each character? (/forums/showthread.php?t=327757)

deven1313 06-13-2019 11:34 AM

Can I have different key mappings for each character?

The title says it all. I want to use different key binds for different characters but it's not working - it only saves the last keys I save. What file(s) holds this info? I would assume eqclient.ini. However, I see that there's also a .ini file for each character that has a section called "hotbuttons" so it seems like this should be possible. Is there a way to do this?

ReadOnly 06-13-2019 11:55 AM

If you use WinEQ2 you can set up different profiles. Requires you to launch the game through the different profiles though so that means you have to exit the game completely and relaunch with a different profile. I do it, its worth it for the different binds.

loramin 06-13-2019 01:22 PM

I think you're right about it being eqclient.ini, so I think you could just manually rotate that file.

Set all your key mappings on one character, then make a copy of eqclient.ini file for that char. Then set all your key mappings on a second character and do the same.

Now before you play just delete eqclient.ini and replace it with a copy of the character ini file, and you should be set. However, this will also give you a separate friends list and other preferences, and any changes you make to those friends/preferences would get lost unless you remembered to make a new copy of the eqclient.ini afterwards.

EDIT: You could probably write a batch script (ie. a .bat file) that does this for you and then starts EQ (it might even be possible to have it always copy the file back after you're done, preserving your friends and other preferences).

Then you could just have one .bat file for each character, and use them to start EQ (saving you the trouble of manually rotating them).

I'd offer to write one for you but I'm on Linux and we have Bash scripts (which are different).

deven1313 06-14-2019 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 2923813)
I think you're right about it being eqclient.ini, so I think you could just manually rotate that file.

Set all your key mappings on one character, then make a copy of eqclient.ini file for that char. Then set all your key mappings on a second character and do the same.

Now before you play just delete eqclient.ini and replace it with a copy of the character ini file, and you should be set. However, this will also give you a separate friends list and other preferences, and any changes you make to those friends/preferences would get lost unless you remembered to make a new copy of the eqclient.ini afterwards.

EDIT: You could probably write a batch script (ie. a .bat file) that does this for you and then starts EQ (it might even be possible to have it always copy the file back after you're done, preserving your friends and other preferences).

Then you could just have one .bat file for each character, and use them to start EQ (saving you the trouble of manually rotating them).

I'd offer to write one for you but I'm on Linux and we have Bash scripts (which are different).

Thanks, sounds like this is the best option and should be easy to make the batch files.

loramin 06-14-2019 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deven1313 (Post 2923979)
Thanks, sounds like this is the best option and should be easy to make the batch files.

Good luck, and if you get it working consider sharing your batch file back here for others to use.