Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Global economy meltdown inc? (/forums/showthread.php?t=201803)

Troof 07-08-2015 07:37 PM

Global economy meltdown inc?

First the china thing, then the anonymous tweet about the NYSE, the next day it goes down. Is there something bigger goin on here?

Hijiri 07-08-2015 07:44 PM

Derp herp?

Portasaurus 07-08-2015 08:41 PM

I sure hope so! I think that would be fun, actually!

We all know we need to face the music some day. It would be neat to witness it first hand. Plus, all of the sudden life would turn into the most immersive survival game you've ever played! Think about it!!

And let's be real, there wont be zombies to worry about because come on that's just silly. So it'll be good old fashioned anarchy!

I suggest everyone keep a list of vacant/foreclosed homes in strategic positions like the top of a hill. Utilities will stop working so it won't matter that nothing is turned on. Day 1 of the collapse, you move into one of those and you can thank me later.

Tradesonred 07-08-2015 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portasaurus (Post 1968614)
I sure hope so! I think that would be fun, actually!

We all know we need to face the music some day. It would be neat to witness it first hand. Plus, all of the sudden life would turn into the most immersive survival game you've ever played! Think about it!!

We get a chuckle now but i think we may see it in our lifetimes and it may or may not make WW2 look like a pic-nic in the park

KagatobLuvsAnimu 07-08-2015 10:02 PM

That or the much more likely scenario. A new market will replace the existing one.

Pokesan 07-08-2015 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KagatobLuvsAnimu (Post 1968696)
That or the much more likely scenario. A new market will replace the existing one.

will it be cryptocurrency

Orruar 07-08-2015 10:29 PM

People who fret over some sort of soviet style collapse are delusional. If our system "collapsed" (whatever that even means for a mostly free market), what would happen? The next day, people would realize they still need food to eat, a place to stay, other goods and services. They would realize they need to provide some kind of service or create some kind of good to trade for what they need. They would realize they need some good of common exchange (currency). They would essentially attempt to create a new market for goods and services. This was difficult for the soviets because their entire economy, nearly ever good and service, had previously been handled by the central authority. Here, we'd pretty much continue what we've been doing. The most heavily regulated sectors (banking and finance, healthcare, education) would probably see the biggest disruptions, but I'm pretty sure we'll figure out how to provide these things.

iruinedyourday 07-09-2015 01:45 AM

If robot cars work as well as the probably will, there will be a massive spike in unemployment and things are gonna get sketchy for a while yikes

KagatobLuvsAnimu 07-09-2015 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iruinedyourday (Post 1968853)
If robot cars work as well as the probably will, there will be a massive spike in unemployment and things are gonna get sketchy for a while yikes

No moreso than if the US got off their asses and built an effective nationwide passenger rail system.

Barnes 07-09-2015 04:11 AM

You can count on it, coming to a town near you.