Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   IP Excemption queued - can we play meanwhile? (/forums/showthread.php?t=321831)

laskje 04-06-2019 04:50 AM

IP Excemption queued - can we play meanwhile?

Title says it all.

I've got an IP Excemption request running in the petition queue for just over 2 months now, and looking at the GM situation, my daughter is still asking me every other day how long we have to wait, and I don't want to bump the petition and delay it further.

Am I allowed to let her play the game with me while we wait for this to get resolved, or would that result in an insta-ban?

chaos1990 04-06-2019 06:32 AM

Tether her to a phone wifi. youll use about 1mb an hour if i remember correctly. This game was built to run on 56k. Just keep her off any ip you use until it goes through because once they get around to it they will be up your ass and likely ban you when they have time/resources. GMs are currently..busy. I don't see them taking any action on exemptions unless one decides to do a dump and clears all of the back logged ones at once.

laskje 04-06-2019 08:40 AM

Not really an option, she'll be using my wife's desktop, both are wired.

Sunderfury 04-06-2019 08:53 AM

Do not play together until exemption is approved, and do not bump. Much more staff have been trained in and are chipping away at the queue more and more each day.

Thanks for your patience!

Legidias 04-06-2019 11:58 AM

RIP Braknar banhammer

Elerial 04-06-2019 12:00 PM

Offtopic, but I've got a char on WoW named Sunderfury :P

aaezil 04-06-2019 12:46 PM

I mean honestly if my choice was to wait 4 months for people to maybe get around to doing it or just use a vpn or whatever and play with my wife in the mean time im not sure what i would do. I would probably just choose another server lol

Legidias 04-06-2019 02:30 PM

Just practice running figure 9's together and chatting at the same time

loramin 04-06-2019 02:50 PM

Get a VPN. They're cheap ($5-$10 per month) and there is absolutely nothing in the rules (I've read the many copies of them) about using a VPN to let two humans play at once. It's only a rules violation if you use it to two-box.

laskje 04-07-2019 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 2887830)
Get a VPN. They're cheap ($5-$10 per month) and there is absolutely nothing in the rules (I've read the many copies of them) about using a VPN to let two humans play at once. It's only a rules violation if you use it to two-box.

Isn't that going against the purpose of the IP Excemption though? I mean, the whole point - if I understand correctly, is to prevent multiple accounts from the same location.

I could argue similarly, that running from the same IP is only a violation if I'm two-boxing and not when my kid or wife are playing next to me, which begs the question:

If VPN connections "solve" the IP restrictions, then why have the IP restrictions at all?
Wouldn't it then be more reasonable to check for MAC addresses only?