Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Tanks (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Trochilic's Skean vs Frostbringer offhand threat (/forums/showthread.php?t=279742)

Jence 08-16-2017 02:24 PM

Trochilic's Skean vs Frostbringer offhand threat

Hey just looking to see if it's worth the purchase of a Frostbringer if one already has a Skean for offhand threat procs? I know the frosty has a better damage ratio, I suppose my question is more on the procs involved.

Skean has a Clockwork Poison proc, which is poison counters + an apparent stun as well? How would that factor in vs. the frosty ac debuff + dd proc?

Just looking for some feedback regarding these weapons for offhand in particular. Thanks for the insight!

skarlorn 08-16-2017 05:30 PM

OK so some nerd will come in here and enumerate the actual hate generated by both procs, but here's all you need to know:

1) yes, clockwork poison is higher hate
2) use frostbringer in your offhand anyway
3) offhand has low proc rate
4) you will generate more consistent aggro with the Frostbringer quality ratio

I have had a warrior on this server since 2013. He's level 60 with epics and some velious gear, and has single handedly killed a guide. So I hope you will believe me and get that Frostbringer!

Good luck to you.

Jimjam 08-16-2017 05:37 PM

Skean is kunark vogue. With Velious out frostbringer is current vogue.

Still another 2 years before retro skean becomes vogue again.

Neither weapon is bad, either way.

Samoht 08-16-2017 05:39 PM

Yes, Frostbringer is an upgrade to Skean. Much better ratio and adds AC. The debuff on the proc helps raise DPS, as well. The hate on the proc is slightly lower, but off-hand procs aren't as frequent.

What are you using main-hand? Infestation or WESS?

Jence 08-16-2017 06:27 PM

Hey guys - thanks for all of the insight, it sounds like the consensus is for the frosty, especially being in this current expansion's vogue!

To answer your question Samoht - my warrior currently has infestation and skean bagged (using staff of battle for now since he just hit 25), but was just planning for when I will eventually need to use the proc weapons later on!

I will start slowly banking for the frosty, especially since the better ratio and added ac are a nice static upgrade!

Samoht 08-16-2017 09:01 PM

Frosty won't proc til 40, but you can use WESS + Infestation now.

Troxx 08-24-2017 07:02 AM

Averaged out in a long long fight skean proc is strong enough that it should beat frostbringer by a fair margin. Despite this, I consider frostbringer a clear upgrade and well worth the $. In a real world scenario frostbringer will give you more consistent threat via steady dps, and considering offhand proc rate, for offhand if either weapon were to proc you'd be golden. The challenge for the warrior is the randomness of procs. When procs fail you, melee threat is all you're left with.

WESS primary, Frostbringer offhand is the best realistic combo until you grab infestation and bridge into raid caliber weapons.

If you already have infestation skip Frostbringer. If you don't have a WESS - buy one. It's stronger aggro than infestation.

Jimjam 08-24-2017 07:22 AM

Infestation and Frostbringer look great coupled together. Slightly identikit though.

Samoht 08-24-2017 10:02 AM

Yeah, but Infestation is piercing, and you'll notice a difference in DPS/hits at 60 if you're still using it. WESS + Frostbringer is the better combo than Infestation + either one.

Lhancelot 08-24-2017 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samoht (Post 2573739)
Yeah, but Infestation is piercing, and you'll notice a difference in DPS/hits at 60 if you're still using it. WESS + Frostbringer is the better combo than Infestation + either one.

Like Jimjam said, I too enjoy how they look together. Frosty and Infestation.

Plus, I like how my ogre looks when he uses the Infestation, stabbing that huge sword like a dagger is awesome!