Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Greens sounds so pleasant (/forums/showthread.php?t=325164)

Jimjam 05-13-2019 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swish2 (Post 2909196)
Also remember though for a lot of people it's about the journey. Playing a troll SK with that XP penalty? You'll still get there ;)

I'm sure there'll be a bunch of min max halfling druids on day 1.

Dr00ds confirmed classic.

Osprey39 05-13-2019 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMN (Post 2909190)
I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who disagree about it being bad, but it was indeed classic. Unfortunately for any would-be-hybrid players, it seems that the intent of this server is to recreate the "classic" progression as faithfully as possible,warts and all.

I'm sorry, but that is just stupid. It's like cutting off your nose to spite your face. It doesn't lessen the 'classic experience' to make it so certain classes won't be shunned for groups; not anymore than not having to stare at a spell book for thirty some levels does. They need to understand that while you can try to faithfully recreate the classic feel of the game, you can't put the internet knowledge genie back in the bottle. Back in the classic days, most people weren't aware of the hybrid xp penalty and very few people had even heard the term 'min/max'. It's different now and people's behaviors are different than they were back then.

Note: I understand the spellbook thing is a function of the client and can't be changed but they chose to use the Titanium client. They could have used the Velious client just as easily. I'm sure that client was still out there in people's hands and available. I know I still have my Luclin CDs kicking around in a box in the garage.

Dithien 05-13-2019 08:41 PM

I’m not sure how fun it’s going to be if the server has 3k people in classic. I don’t know if they would consider it but if the population was too high it would make sense to have 2 servers and eventually merge them.

I remember when Sony used to show server numbers and the Rathe had the highest but was around 2k during prime time. Whether that was classic, Kunark or Velious I can’t recall.

Swish2 05-13-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dithien (Post 2909495)
I’m not sure how fun it’s going to be if the server has 3k people in classic. I don’t know if they would consider it but if the population was too high it would make sense to have 2 servers and eventually merge them.

I remember when Sony used to show server numbers and the Rathe had the highest but was around 2k during prime time. Whether that was classic, Kunark or Velious I can’t recall.

Nice way to maximize manastones/guises for everyone. It's an interesting idea, but will it pay off?

loramin 05-13-2019 08:53 PM

Greens population is going to be nuts initially, but it will almost certainly calm down.

After it does, if any server (Blue or Green) is hitting 3k or 4k when "calm" then I'm sure the staff will start considering opening up a new server (or adding instancing). It's just that that's a huge hassle and expense for them, and it's never been necessary in the project's 10 year history, so I imagine they're planning to wait until it's actually a problem before worrying ... and we should do the same.

Dithien 05-13-2019 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swish2 (Post 2909496)
Nice way to maximize manastones/guises for everyone. It's an interesting idea, but will it pay off?

Yeah that would maximize those items although I still imagine they will be socked like crazy.

I was mostly thinking of 300+ people in Lower Guk.

Swish2 05-13-2019 08:57 PM

Honestly I wonder if we'll see Holgresh Elder Bead type queues again :p

Dithien 05-13-2019 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 2909498)
Greens population is going to be nuts initially, but it will almost certainly calm down.

After it does, if any server (Blue or Green) is hitting 3k or 4k when "calm" then I'm sure the staff will start considering opening up a new server (or adding instancing). It's just that that's a huge hassle and expense for them, and it's never been necessary in the project's 10 year history, so I imagine they're planning to wait until it's actually a problem before worrying ... and we should do the same.

Well as long as people aren’t quitting because it’s a miserable overcrowded experience that would be fine imo.

YendorLootmonkey 05-13-2019 09:21 PM

At 3k population in Classic, individual muddite spawns in Gorge of King Xorbb will be camped for XP.

Fammaden 05-13-2019 10:12 PM

I don't know where people are getting this 3k number that keeps getting tossed around from in the first place. I can't imagine there's 1k plus who will come back and stay, and blue would basically have to empty out which I don't see happening with all the time invested here.

If anything the population concern should be how much it splits blue or if one server or the other ends up too LOW pop.