Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   No More Hell Levels? (/forums/showthread.php?t=334991)

Madamegato 09-30-2019 12:20 AM

No More Hell Levels?

Quote:

DISCLAIMER: I am not even remotely saying/asking that this is/should be done. I am totally aware of how much work it would take and am genuinely asking because it's something I'm thinking about as I'm sitting here... medding... forever... Also, forgive me if this has been discussed before... just thinking "out loud" here. :D
Do you think it would be untrue to the spirit of Original Everquest if the hell levels were to be ironed out?

I'm on the fence.

On one hand, I think so just because it was a real badge of honor if you were high level because you suffered through it.

On the other, does it really change anything to still have to grind to the top if certain levels aren't harder than others?

Halfcell 09-30-2019 12:30 AM

It was ironed out, just not in classic EQ. Thus I think its objectively provable it would be untrue to the spirit of classic EQ. Also, hell levels are kind of a cool thing, they stall out leveling progression, causing characters to clump into 5 level bands, making grouping easier to do. I am pro-hell-level.

kaev 09-30-2019 12:46 AM

I like/liked the plateau levels. It always amused me how people would get all obsessive about grinding through them, when the problem level is the one that follows (because of the way death penalty works in EQ.) Plateau levels are the great time to experiment and try new stuff, because the xp loss on death is so small (compared to other levels, especially the level after a plateau.)

tiadashi 09-30-2019 01:24 AM

I like p99 just the way you are

Gustoo 09-30-2019 01:28 AM

They should make them harder.

I didn't know they existed on live and didn't remember they existed in p99

Videri 09-30-2019 03:56 AM

Even if they smoothed it out, it would still take the same amount of time to get to level 60.

What I like to do is stop looking at the exp bar and play the game. I level in a different area, or using different tactics, or new groupmates. I sometimes even take a break from leveling, do some quests, camp an item, help someone else get something they want. help this hopes

Jimjam 09-30-2019 04:59 AM

Agree with Videri; just remove the xp bar from your ui.

Madamegato 09-30-2019 05:58 AM

Definitely not a bad idea at all...

Coridan 09-30-2019 06:43 AM

Iron it out by making every level a hell level. Double or triple the XP required across the board to level.

Mblake81 09-30-2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madamegato (Post 2971794)
Do you think it would be untrue to the spirit of Original Everquest if the hell levels were to be ironed out?

I'm on the fence.

Yes, no thanks :o