Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Rants and Flames (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   has anyone been to rehab? (/forums/showthread.php?t=411488)

Valakut 11-28-2022 09:43 AM

has anyone been to rehab?

i'm wondering if anyone has any experience with rehab or substance abuse treatment programs. a good friend in my guild who is actually a very prominent raid leader is about to get kicked out of their moms house if they don't get sober. they have tried to quit cold turkey several times without much success. i don't think many people take substance abuse or misuse very seriously around here so if you have any experience you can share it might be very beneficial to some lurkers in the community.

Chortles Snortles 11-28-2022 10:15 AM

i did outpatient twice, i wasn't ready the first time and was just going through the motions
the unfortunate truth is your friend will likely need to hit a few rockbottoms before really getting help

you can lead a horse to water...

Arvan 11-28-2022 10:17 AM

Addiction is a motherfer man.

Wishing the best for your friend

Encroaching Death 11-28-2022 10:20 AM

I did outpatient, did Narcotics Anon, etc.

Depends on the situation and substance, but 3 things are key:

* The addicted person MUST want to be clean (no amount of pressure from outsiders will help)

* The addicted person MUST have a strong support structure (friends, family, etc.)

* And HUGELY important: Cut ties with ALL influences or 'friends' who promote using

I've been clean since Feb 27th, 2007. I'm currently trying to get my cousin clean.

goblinmob 11-28-2022 10:40 AM

..."The pain we waste to stay the same outweighs the pain it takes to change..."

Best of luck to your friend!

magnetaress 11-28-2022 10:48 AM

I get myself locked up from time to time in some real 1st world shitholes full of other ppl who sometimes are drug abusers butt not because of substance abuse.

What strikes me as odd is that the drug addicts are all higher functioning than some of the staff. They just need structure and purpose.

Encroaching Death 11-28-2022 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnetaress (Post 3538379)
What strikes me as odd is that the drug addicts are all higher functioning than some of the staff. They just need structure and purpose.

Almost all addicts that I've met, me included, have used drugs to fill a void (heh) or used it in place of some legit drug they should have been given.

A lot of kids I grew up with were raised in some crazy ass broken homes. One of my friends was blind in one eye, and had to live with his aunt and uncle because his parents were crack addicts.

Then his aunt and uncle became crack addicts.

Then he became blind in his other eye.

Then he became homeless.

And addicted to crack.

Fucking brutal.

magnetaress 11-28-2022 11:29 AM

yeah u guys should work on ur self esteem u are not bad ppl because you use drugs

it's the drugs are bad because they fuck you up and keep you chained and you should be legally able /allowed/enabled to make all the poppy tea in the world you need for those times where u just gotta spend an hr or two sippin and not wind up on the hard stuff the gov pushes or the crack dealers deal

Tongpow 11-28-2022 11:30 AM

court ordered, 20 years ago. was the craziest experience ever. protip kids don't talk shit to a judge at a truancy hearing

unsunghero 11-28-2022 11:37 AM

Public insurance should pay for part of rehab. If your friend isn’t working he should see about getting on his state’s Medicaid insurance if he hasn’t already. Private insurance might not pay, and neither will probably pay in full (although Medicaid might), because rehab has a very low success rate with long term change. So insurance doesn’t see it as worth much of their money

This is why IMO it’s not worth shelling out lots of money for one of the fancy rehabs. Most people end up relapsing after they get out. This is usually due to, like ED said, not cutting ties to their previous hookups, but also romanticizing their memory of the substance after some time away and deciding that “this time I will control it better”

Aside from cutting ties with all hookups and friends that use, the person should stop any activity they exclusively did while high. If they only played EQ high then they should stop EQ. There will be a mental connection in their mind with the activity to the drug and it will make their cravings much worse

Replacing the drug with exercise can help, has for a decent amount of people