Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Shadows of Luclin (/forums/showthread.php?t=389379)

Snaggles 08-23-2021 06:28 PM

One of my mains is a ranger. I actually like the underdog aspect of the class pre-Luclin. P99 has embraced a lot of the aspects of the class that make it tolerable (bumping).

Personally I'd rather have autofire as a quality of life feature than AM3 and EQ. Yea I'd rather be hamstrung than be trendy but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

A Knight 08-23-2021 06:39 PM

I don't remember for sure, but when Luclin spire ports came out, there still might have been some hope that "Hey maybe Luclin just requires more ports in Luclin."

But when POP came out it was like finding out, an FPS now gives free headshots, because people don't like when they miss headshots. Like... oh.... EQ is dead.

I still haven't found the best metaphor for this, but the statement of "Most people liked _____." The "most people" or general population of people have always liked crazy things through time, and we looked back and disagreed later.

But back to, people might enjoy MMORPGs but they just don't want to play them in a nerdy style. That might unfortunately have to be the way they are fun. Where as, if you play a standard MMO, you might want to believe its great some how, but eventually people can't lie to themselves anymore that its bad.

People might want to enjoy MMOs because its a great idea, they might just not want to believe, how the actual reality of how they are fun.

But hey maybe not, maybe I'm just trying to force my Immersive world MMO religion on you. I hope people really enjoy games like that if its their thing, I still want to try Luclin.

A Knight 08-23-2021 06:44 PM

I need to get out all these negative vibes. I could play a beastlord these days.... Wow classic has been pretty fun lately... /breathes

I'm really not upset, I just had to shake off negative vibes so people don't think I was upset. Honestly

Croco 08-23-2021 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Knight (Post 3350512)
I don't remember for sure, but when Luclin spire ports came out, there still might have been some hope that "Hey maybe Luclin just requires more ports in Luclin."

But when POP came out it was like finding out, an FPS now gives free headshots, because people don't like when they miss headshots. Like... oh.... EQ is dead.

I still haven't found the best metaphor for this, but the statement of "Most people liked _____." The "most people" or general population of people have always liked crazy things through time, and we looked back and disagreed later.

But back to, people might enjoy MMORPGs but they just don't want to play them in a nerdy style. That might unfortunately have to be the way they are fun. Where as, if you play a standard MMO, you might want to believe its great some how, but eventually people can't lie to themselves anymore that its bad.

People might want to enjoy MMOs because its a great idea, they might just not want to believe, how the actual reality of how they are fun.

But hey maybe not, maybe I'm just trying to force my Immersive world MMO religion on you. I hope people really enjoy games like that if its their thing, I still want to try Luclin.

Unfortunately not every server back in the day had dial a port, or something similar so PoK and it's ports were a breath of fresh air to me. Making the world seem smaller was an unfortunate side effect but it also made it so if you wanted to go put a group together and fight in a dungeon it didn't take you 30 minutes just to get to the camp.

A Knight 08-23-2021 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Croco (Post 3350525)
Unfortunately not every server back in the day had dial a port, or something similar so PoK and it's ports were a breath of fresh air to me. Making the world seem smaller was an unfortunate side effect but it also made it so if you wanted to go put a group together and fight in a dungeon it didn't take you 30 minutes just to get to the camp.

That's true. I think Luclin could be fun, but because it came from a different version of a game, there might be a big tear when it comes to the split from casual gaming to no-life gaming.

I really don't have much hard feelings over it anymore. Maybe unless all classic gaming disappeared. Luclin might have less past negative feelings from me, if it was labeled a brand new game.

Zuranthium 08-23-2021 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Croco (Post 3350525)

The journey is part of playing the game. It's necessary for travel to have some kind of restriction, that's how things work in an actual world, and it makes the destination sweeter when you have to put more effort in to get there. Instant travel not being available to everyone creates player choice of do they stay in the same spot even if it seems to be getting overpopulated, or do they go somewhere else. If zones are designed well enough (risk vs reward), then people will make the journeys. It's also important for starting areas to have actual communities, instead of everyone just rushing off to the most popular spots. Generally it wasn't even that hard to get a port as soon as enough decent level Druids and Wizards were on a server, it just required doing a /who all for Druids and Wizards and talking to them.

For an ideal MMO, I wouldn't even let low level players be able to get a port. It's crucial for characters to have an origin and for those areas to retain a population (which also needs to be from the areas having something that higher level players need). Something else you can do with that setup is have quests for low level players that reward a long amount of travel, if they choose to do it (which might be because they want to go play with a friend in another part of the world). Imagine if there was a big quest in EQ for running from Freeport to Qeynos on foot, or Rivervale to Akanon, etc. Would be so much more exciting, for the people who find that to be fun.

StinkyGreenBud 09-04-2021 12:24 AM

NO

Mblake1981 09-14-2021 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Croco (Post 3350013)
Luclin and Pop are the pinnacle of EQ.

The pinnacle of EQ is Kelethin and dungeons like lower Guk and Permafrost.

Croco 09-15-2021 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mblake1981 (Post 3362010)
The pinnacle of EQ is Kelethin and dungeons like lower Guk and Permafrost.

Agree to disagree.

Kika Maslyaka 09-16-2021 03:11 PM

People obviously want more content.
But everyone seem to be stuck on Luclin or PoP, like there is nowhere else to go.

Some things to consider:

1. There are OTHER expansions currently available in both T and RoF clients that can provide GAZZILION OF CONTENT.

2. People make common mistake of thinking that an expansion is ALL or NOTHING kind of deal. Its NOT. If most people would be happy to add just ONE zone out of entire expansion - then add just that one zone. If people concerned that loot from expansion will outvalue old loot to much - adjust that loot down. People worry that some zone X had crazy XP mod that devalued old zones - remove than XP mod. ETC.

You need to think of this as bunch of LEGO blocks that can be arranged in any order into any form and any color. You want to add Lopping Planes to Faydwer? With mobs from LDON? With proper fay-theme inspired loot? Then do just that.

I agree than Luclin expansion was heavily out of theme. And I would prefer it would never happened. So skip it. Plenty of expansions past that were very well in-theme. Dragons of Norath, Serpent Spine, etc. All those building blocks are available to be used. Play with them.