Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Tanks (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   War agro weapon question (/forums/showthread.php?t=304413)

pijan 08-08-2018 04:07 PM

War agro weapon question

Currently have a frostbringer and winter fury. Do you think this will be enough agro once I can proc FB or should I invest in a second proc like WESS or something? On a side not how hard is it to get Infestation? Is it really just the poison proc that's so good for it? If so is scorpikis claw a suitable replacement for lower levels?

bigjeff100 08-08-2018 04:30 PM

WESS is wonderful agro, top notch agro. BUT it can be a bit risky. A risk many don't care to deal with. Problem with your winter fury is no proc. A good cheap option would be a Sarnak Warhammer. I always liked mine, still bust it out when i'm tankin casters. Blood point would be a better poison proc option, but will run ya close to 2k. Silken whip of ensnaring will get ya agro too but just like the WESS not sure the root aspect is something u want to deal with...

beargryllz 08-08-2018 06:35 PM

WESS is fantastic aggro weapon and I think FB/WESS is one of the best possible combos a warrior can outright purchase for a small fee in EC tunnel

Infestation is superior to either, and it isn't very hard to get at all. Plenty of them rot and Vilefang is only a 24h spawn requiring 1 solid group to kill.

Infestation + Frostbringer is probably the best possible tanking combination until you get epics

Jimjam 08-09-2018 02:30 AM

Isn't silken whip snare, not root?

Infestation has a couple of small drawbacks (which somewhat overlap with those of WESS); piercing has a lower skill cap so does less dps against mobs close to your level. Also, it has a small dot component which can make target switches more tricky if your group is using mez as its primary form of crowd control.

bigjeff100 08-09-2018 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimjam (Post 2754798)
Isn't silken whip snare, not root?

Infestation has a couple of small drawbacks (which somewhat overlap with those of WESS); piercing has a lower skill cap so does less dps against mobs close to your level. Also, it has a small dot component which can make target switches more tricky if your group is using mez as its primary form of crowd control.

haha yup ur right, i spaced...

Troxx 08-09-2018 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beargryllz (Post 2754671)
Infestation is superior to either, and it isn't very hard to get at all. Plenty of them rot and Vilefang is only a 24h spawn requiring 1 solid group to kill.

Depends how you look at it. I agree infestation is the better overall weapon as it has much better melee threat and dps which makes it more consistent when you don't get a proc. Additionally, it doesn't have the whole blind issue which can rarely cause problems. Overall, yep I'd say it's better and will likely always be in my primary slot. If you only cared about raw aggro over time though, WESS will run circles around infestation. The extra poison counter, blind, and debuff on the proc are that potent. In every day routine use where you don't always get an early proc, however, infestation will be more consistently good.

WESS also comes with very nice AC plus resists. Even though it has a paltry 11/23 ratio, it makes an excellent offhander.

Having said that, I generally use infestation + FB unless the group needs snare ... in which case I'll use infestation and the 14/28 silken whip of ensnaring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beargryllz;2754671Infestation
+ Frostbringer is probably the best possible tanking combination until you get epics

Infestation generates a lot more aggro than red epic. 900 threat per proc vs ~500 more than makes up for red epic's ratio. Blue epic is great for dps but has no proc. Velious tradeable weapons made epics obsolete/optional. For tanking threat, FB + WESS (or WESS + FB) will generate a lot more aggro than dual epics. Toss infestation (not tradeable) into the equation and epics are a functional trophy at best. Blue will always have a niche for the attack boost.

Sonderbeast 08-09-2018 11:59 AM

Sarnak battlehammer + frostbringer is good dps and good aggro

Jauna 08-09-2018 12:02 PM

Get a Wurmslayer mainhand and use that frostbringer in the offhand.

procs are neat on raids and people romanticize the idea of procs because that is what they use to tell people to attack but leveling up shit dies much too fast at all levels to worry about procs to hold agro.

Try a Wurmslayer out for awhile, worst case scenario this post cost you 2k

pijan 08-09-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jauna (Post 2754910)
Get a Wurmslayer mainhand and use that frostbringer in the offhand.

procs are neat on raids and people romanticize the idea of procs because that is what they use to tell people to attack but leveling up shit dies much too fast at all levels to worry about procs to hold agro.

Try a Wurmslayer out for awhile, worst case scenario this post cost you 2k

Wurm gets worse as your increase in level right? Since your main hand bonus goes up weapon speed becomes more and more of a factor?

Qtip 08-09-2018 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pijan (Post 2755059)
Wurm gets worse as your increase in level right? Since your main hand bonus goes up weapon speed becomes more and more of a factor?

On my warrior, who is only lvl 40 still. A wurmy puts out some crazy dps with Rbg and the clicky from watchmen arms. 50+ I will probably replace, but as of right now. I dont know anything that compares for the 1.5k I spent on it.